Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Malibu New Options?

Mapwpd

Looking into a new Malibu this year, anyone know the new options for this year? I have heard about the new Bimini cargo rack and the Auto pull option but any other new options or changes?

Looking into a new Malibu this year, anyone know the new options for this year? I have heard about the new Bimini cargo rack and the Auto pull option but any other new options or changes?

There have been a couple photos of ski racks (as opposed to wakeboard racks) on the tower. Hope this will finally be available (just in case I can ever afford a new boat :crazy: )

They’re using the same ballast system style, but the pumps are larger and the hoses are bigger around, so the system fills and drains much faster.

Yup 3/4" to 1" and the pumps are 1100gph I believe. Only thing I find really strange is the thru hull is still 3/4'. Seems like it defeats the purpose...

Yup 3/4" to 1" and the pumps are 1100gph I believe. Only thing I find really strange is the thru hull is still 3/4'. Seems like it defeats the purpose...

My guess is because the pump has a 3/4" inlet and this does not change the 1100gph rating. You can definitely tell a difference in fill/empty times. There are few other changes, but the only other new options I can think of are graphics, aqua fusion mat, MIFI6 GPS speed control.

The ballast pumps and hoses have all been upgraded, should fill and drain in about half the time of the old ones.

Why don't they think of this kind of stuff when they design the first ones, Like in 2010....Or earlier. :crazy:

My guess is because the pump has a 3/4" inlet and this does not change the 1100gph rating. You can definitely tell a difference in fill/empty times. There are few other changes, but the only other new options I can think of are graphics, aqua fusion mat, MIFI6 GPS speed control.

What is the aqua fusion mat?

And what exactly does th MIFI6 GPS all about any idea how much more that is than standard cruise?

What is the aqua fusion mat?

And what exactly does th MIFI6 GPS all about any idea how much more that is than standard cruise?

The best I can describe the Aqua Mat is that it's a looped woven instead of a cut carpet, it does not absorb or hold water. The new Malibu GPS is integrated with the MIFI 6 (see Indmar's website) and offered now instead of Zero Off. I can tell you it's the best speed control I've ever used on any boat and not effected by weight. The list on the mat is around $500 and $875 on the GPS, remember I say list. Hopefully the standard paddlewheel control has also been improved with the MIFI6, but I've not driven one. There are also more tower color options this year.

Edited by thtrog

The best I can describe the Aqua Mat is that it's a looped woven instead of a cut carpet, it does not absorb or hold water. The new Malibu GPS is integrated with the MIFI 6 (see Indmar's website) and offered now instead of Zero Off. I can tell you it's the best speed control I've ever used on any boat and not effected by weight. The list on the mat is around $500 and $875 on the GPS, remember I say list. Hopefully the standard paddlewheel control has also been improved with the MIFI6, but I've not driven one. There are also more tower color options this year.

Does the mat end up smelling like the carpet? Have you had it a whole season?

Are they using these pumps now?

rule_405_fc_1.jpg

http://www.wakemakers.com/rule-aerator-ballast-pump-1100.html

Why don't they think of this kind of stuff when they design the first ones, Like in 2010....Or earlier. :crazy:

Cause you introduce things over time to entice you to upgrade, plus they know most just can't stand to be content w/ what they have.... :crazy: Marketing 101... ;)

Are they using these pumps now?

rule_405_fc_1.jpg

http://www.wakemaker...-pump-1100.html

Last I had heard they were going w/ the same Shurflo line but the 1100.

Yep, it has the Shurflow Piranha 1100's

http://www.shurflo.com/files/Education-Center/Product%20Data%20Sheets/Livewell%20Pumps/pds-1100%20Livewell%20Piranha%20Pump%20357-103-00%2010.pdf

As far as the mat smelling...I can't confirm that it won't, but that's the idea and hopefully it won't get matted down like the carpet does. It's a risk I was willing to take at about the cost of a carpet saver and then you had two wet carpets to deal with. One thing, you can't get the the embroidered WS emblem if you go with the mat.

If it's anything like the new Axis Tatami mat option, no, it won't smell like carpet. Best way to describe it is literally like a mat. doesn't hold water and feels good on the feet...stain proof too as the fibers cant absorb anything.

Looks like the 2011 uses the 800 GPH Piranha.

400 lb tank has approx 48 gallons of water in it.

800 GPH = 13.3 GPM ... 3.28 minutes to fill

1100 GPH = 18.3 GPM ... 2.62 minutes to fill

If my math is correct, looks like 25% faster fill time. I thought Malibu was claiming 40%? but maybe the 1" line adds to the 18.3 GPH.

I wonder how difficult it would be to install new 1100's on the 2011 system? The fill pumps should be screw in and then you would have to change the inlet on the tanks to a 1" fitting. The drain pumps would probably be a little more difficult.

Looks like the 2011 uses the 800 GPH Piranha.

400 lb tank has approx 48 gallons of water in it.

800 GPH = 13.3 GPM ... 3.28 minutes to fill

1100 GPH = 18.3 GPM ... 2.62 minutes to fill

If my math is correct, looks like 25% faster fill time. I thought Malibu was claiming 40%? but maybe the 1" line adds to the 18.3 GPH.

I wonder how difficult it would be to install new 1100's on the 2011 system? The fill pumps should be screw in and then you would have to change the inlet on the tanks to a 1" fitting. The drain pumps would probably be a little more difficult.

I have the bigger pumps and lines on my 2012 and have not noticed much difference. I am sure there is an improvement, but 25% seems more realistic.

I have the bigger pumps and lines on my 2012 and have not noticed much difference. I am sure there is an improvement, but 25% seems more realistic.

25% is a good improvement, I am not sure its worth replacing 8 pumps at $49/ea, plus ballast hose and fittings... could become a pretty expensive project. Last season I timed my ballast fill and I want to say it was right around 3.5-4 mins to fill all 1250 lbs of hard tanks, which I thought was pretty reasonable. By the time I get my gear on, back stretched out (sucks getting old) and rope thrown out, etc we were all filled up.

Edited by Fman

My understanding is that the aqua mat is available on all wakesetter models other than the MXZ.

No one has mentioned Auto-Pull Up either. Auto Pull up is available on all the MIFI6 engines, but those rolled in a little late, I think if your boat was built post November 2011 you will for sure have MIFI6, but prior to that it wasn't for sure....

MXZ and 247 also come with 8" speakers now in all locations except the aisle way.

No one has mentioned Auto-Pull Up either. Auto Pull up is available on all the MIFI6 engines,

What is Auto Pull up?

The boat loads itself on the trailer?

Nothing surprises me anymore.

What is Auto Pull up?

The boat loads itself on the trailer?

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Excerpt from the link below....

The Auto Pull-Up feature Tommy speaks of is another unprecedented innovation from Malibu and Indmar, and implemented into the line by Danny Gasper, Malibu's Director of Product Design. It allows a rider or skier to record the rate of acceleration they prefer, and the driver just punches the throttle and you will get the same start every time.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/malibuboats/surfexpo/prweb8878862.htm

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

You can talk to the guys at Wakemakers...3/4 vs. 1" hose does not really make much difference. The more powerful pump adds a little more, but as was said above, most real world tests do not get nearly the improvement that one might expect.

I have had Malibus with the full carpet and liked the luxury feel and look. My 2010 has the tatami mat and I absolutely LOVE it. No more carpeted boats for me.