Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater Led Install

wakebrdr94

Sooo......I've done the interior and Speaker LED's as DIY projects, but now I'm wanting to install underwater transom LED's. I've been doing a bit of research on what lights to go with, but i figure that will be the easy part. How hard is it to install these yourself? It's does not seem hard, but the idea of drilling a hole in my baby, makes me a little nervous. has anyone installed there own? any tips on how to go about this? I searched the threads, but didn't find info on actual install

• Like 2

Sure,

Instead of the full light strips ran all the way around the boat, I went with this motorcycle kit from XKGlow.com. I had to purchase the extension wires to make sure they would fit all the way around, and this kit is really easy. all plug and play, no soldering, just plug it in and go.

The kit came with 10 LED strips, remote, controller. I had to purchase some wire for power, and that was it. I only used 8 of the ten strips with the install, and the remaning two I will probably place in the speaker compartment in the walk through. (just been lazy about getting those two done). I used two strips on each side in the cup holder gunnels in the main cabin, 1 strip in each cup holder gunnel in the bow, 1 strip under the dash, and one strip in the battery compartment.

http://www.xkglow.com/10_pcs_7_Color_Remote_Flexible_Strip_Kit_for_Motor_p/xk034003.htm LED strips used

http://www.xkglow.com/Extension_Wire_Kit_For_7_Color_LED_Strip_Kit_p/xk091005.htm extension kit

First I decided where I was going to place the LED strips, then hooked everything up and ran it along the top rail of the boat to make sure I had enough wire, and to make sure the strips would line up in the right area to where I wanted them. When all was laid out, I attached one end of the wires to a fish, along with the power wire that was going to run to the battery, and started feeding the wire through from the cup holder are in the main cabin, from the starboard side of the boat, just go slow so you are not catching on other items.

Once the wire was ran, I connected the controller to the power wire I had ran, then connected it to the battery, and fired everything up. Once the lights were at an angle I was happy with, I zip tied them down. I placed the controller under the dash (it has a sticky back for easy placement) and I was done.

This kit was the easiest thing ever. As I stated, all plug and play, and the connectors are easy to run to another connection as there are two ends on the wires, so that you can branch off at anytime.

This was the final result. Video kinda sucks, but you get the idea. I did a separate controller and LEDS for the tower speakers, (A bit of a tougher install), this video was prior to that install

If you need more details let me know. Maybe we should now change the name of this thread and move it?

Edited by wakebrdr94

its super easy ( depending on what light you get. most of the new ones are a simple wire and 2 screws. the thought is much scarier than the install. takes about 10-20 minutes. as stated, use the smallest bit you can get away with.....gob the 5200 on there and clean up when you tighten it.

My boat is at the dealer getting the windshield replaced as it got blown out. When I get back, I will make a short video with more detail. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me and I will answer whatever I can.

My boat is at the dealer getting the windshield replaced as it got blown out. When I get back, I will make a short video with more detail. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me and I will answer whatever I can.

I'd be interested in more detail on the install, etc as well. Seems like a great kit, and a nice way to have the options of all the colors/flash/etc. And the remote is pretty slick too. Judging by your video clips, I need to add this to my Spring project list!

I appreciate the positive feedback. Can anyone point in the right direction for the transom light install? Just some info. Before drilling my baby below the water line would be appreciated :)

Do a search..you should come up with a few good threads. What did you do with your stock courtesy lights?

Edited by old skool malibu

YES, 3m 5200 is an adhesive sealant (its still pliable though, 4200 is more pliable but i like 5200 for external/below waterline apps). i drilled the screw and wire holes with the appropriate size bit (very slowly and carefully) and then gobbed the holes and all around with 5200 and on the back of the light housing. install the light and screw the holes with the correct amount of torque and this will force the excess 5200 out around the light. take a rag and wipe off the excess and leave a nice edge all around the light housing. thats its...done. I intergrated my wires into nav light for now but will probally isolate when i have more time.

Edited by BG2085
  • 5 weeks later...

Sure,

Instead of the full light strips ran all the way around the boat, I went with this motorcycle kit from XKGlow.com. I had to purchase the extension wires to make sure they would fit all the way around, and this kit is really easy. all plug and play, no soldering, just plug it in and go.

The kit came with 10 LED strips, remote, controller. I had to purchase some wire for power, and that was it. I only used 8 of the ten strips with the install, and the remaning two I will probably place in the speaker compartment in the walk through. (just been lazy about getting those two done). I used two strips on each side in the cup holder gunnels in the main cabin, 1 strip in each cup holder gunnel in the bow, 1 strip under the dash, and one strip in the battery compartment.

http://www.xkglow.com/10_pcs_7_Color_Remote_Flexible_Strip_Kit_for_Motor_p/xk034003.htm LED strips used

http://www.xkglow.com/Extension_Wire_Kit_For_7_Color_LED_Strip_Kit_p/xk091005.htm extension kit

First I decided where I was going to place the LED strips, then hooked everything up and ran it along the top rail of the boat to make sure I had enough wire, and to make sure the strips would line up in the right area to where I wanted them. When all was laid out, I attached one end of the wires to a fish, along with the power wire that was going to run to the battery, and started feeding the wire through from the cup holder are in the main cabin, from the starboard side of the boat, just go slow so you are not catching on other items.

Once the wire was ran, I connected the controller to the power wire I had ran, then connected it to the battery, and fired everything up. Once the lights were at an angle I was happy with, I zip tied them down. I placed the controller under the dash (it has a sticky back for easy placement) and I was done.

This kit was the easiest thing ever. As I stated, all plug and play, and the connectors are easy to run to another connection as there are two ends on the wires, so that you can branch off at anytime.

This was the final result. Video kinda sucks, but you get the idea. I did a separate controller and LEDS for the tower speakers, (A bit of a tougher install), this video was prior to that install

If you need more details let me know. Maybe we should now change the name of this thread and move it?

I just got these recently:

http://www.xkglow.com/Ultimate_LED_15_Color_Remote_Boat_Accent_Light_p/xk074006.htm

It comes with 34 ft of wiring extensions, I'm wondering if I should order more. Did you use anything close to that amount?

• 3 years later...

Sooo......I've done the interior and Speaker LED's as DIY projects, but now I'm wanting to install underwater transom LED's. I've been doing a bit of research on what lights to go with, but i figure that will be the easy part. How hard is it to install these yourself? It's does not seem hard, but the idea of drilling a hole in my baby, makes me a little nervous. has anyone installed there own? any tips on how to go about this? I searched the threads, but didn't find info on actual install

Hey I'm thinking about going with this interior led kit that you mentioned in this thread. Couple questions.

Would you still recommend it?

Can you sink music up to it so the lights go with music

Hey I'm thinking about going with this interior led kit that you mentioned in this thread. Couple questions.

Would you still recommend it?

Can you sink music up to it so the lights go with music

With the setup that was mentioned in detail above, you can simply add a controller that will allow you to hook your smartphone up - http://www.xkglow.com/category_s/105.htm

Or they have several kits now that include the controller, all the additional wiring extensions and led's -

@wakebrdr94 - Did you go direct to the battery with a separate switch for your internal LED install or did you go to something pre-existing (interior light circuit or an existing open circuit on the block ) Great right up, thank you!

In the first install, I went I went directly to the battery. In my current boat, I grabbed power from under the helm. Saved me running the power wires all the way around.

You will need the carbon series controller / kit to control from your phone or iPod and sync with music. I have their first generation controller, not the carbon series. In terms of easy install, this kit takes the cake. It comes with its own switch, so you can draw power from where ever. I am happy with it.

BUT, I tried the new carbon controller and was not happy as there is a little problem either in the app or the controller. It syncs with music, but does a much better job in single color mode than multi color. You can adjust the rate at which the colors change with the music on both the first gen and carbon series, but that feature does not seem to work well with the carbon series. When I bought the carbon series, I asked if they had any first series controllers left and the gave me one of those instead. You can download the free apps and see what I'm talking about. You don't need the controller for them to work. Xkglow is the first gen app and XKGLOW carbon is the second.

• Like 1

I installed LF6's in my LSV last fall. It took the better part of an afternoon and I think they came out great. I measured 1000 times and I bet my initial pilot hole (smallest drill bit I had) was about 1/8" off my mark. I've got a set of locator magnets now that I plan on using to install my ballast this spring. Going forward I will use those for thru hull drilling.

. Look at reactorled.com I used their set up last year and mounted on the top of the power wedge holder. Pretty impressed and only one 3/8" hole not visible. I have pics of the install still I believe. Pretty easy. And I think since last year they now have brighter lights and the ones that change colors also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk