Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefooting on V-drives

sv3854

I am wondering if anyone has used a V-ride or older VLX with a SV 23 wake hull for footing.

I currently have a 2003 21XTI and looking to get a new boat. I am considering a XTI Ride or perhaps a V-Ride. They both have the same hull as my current boat. I really love the wake on the 21XTI and it is awesome for footing. I can foot in the wash and it is very smooth at 37-42 MPH. My question is can I expect the same from the V-Ride, which is the same as the old VLX.

I use the boat for footing in the morning until it gets too rough and we wakeboard the rest of the time.

The reason I am now considering the VLX is because I have heard great things about the old Barefoot Nautique because they are good wakebaording boats and when you get to 37+ they are awesome footing boats and they are V-drives.

all the old barefoot nautiques I ever skied behind were NOT v-drives, they were direct drives...

Either in 90 or 91 Nautique went to a closed bow v-drive Barefoot Nautique that if I recall turned into the Nautique Excel.

I have a 98 VLX and the long line barefoot wake is Nice, not as good as a Flight Craft or a Sanger but it is soft and not a huge drop at the edge. The spray on the v-drive boom is not good however because it needs to be more up front like a dd boom. I'd like to try a BI Tower boom.

Has anyone put a BI Tower boom on a Titan 1 tower on a v-drive?

They had both for a few years.

This link has a few v-drives and center engine barefoot nautiques on them.

http://www.barefootcentral.com/barefoot_boats_nautique.htm

Thanks for posting, you learn something new everyday. Never knew SN had a barefoot vdrive. Very interesting. Almost as funky as the Cuddy cabin MC! :)

I have heard that the V-drives have a pretty good wake and speed for footing. The only thing that just does not seem to work real well is putting a boom on it. You get a lot of side spray due to the footer being further to the rear of the boat. I would like to foot behind a V-drive someday.

If you get a Vdrive make sure you get the tower boom. Side spray will not be an issue.

The footing wake on my 04 vlx is much better than the wake on my old boat. (99 air/sport Nautique)

My vlx has a larger stern roller. But the table is very nice.

Ken

Keith St. Onge is skiing the X-2 now and loves it. I haven't been to his place yet but I believe he is using the tower boom. Apparently with the big engine and a plate, the wake is sweet.

I am wondering if anyone has used a V-ride or older VLX with a SV 23 wake hull for footing.

I currently have a 2003 21XTI and looking to get a new boat. I am considering a XTI Ride or perhaps a V-Ride. They both have the same hull as my current boat. I really love the wake on the 21XTI and it is awesome for footing. I can foot in the wash and it is very smooth at 37-42 MPH. My question is can I expect the same from the V-Ride, which is the same as the old VLX.

I use the boat for footing in the morning until it gets too rough and we wakeboard the rest of the time.

The reason I am now considering the VLX is because I have heard great things about the old Barefoot Nautique because they are good wakebaording boats and when you get to 37+ they are awesome footing boats and they are V-drives.

Do you have a boom for your XTI? If you're selling I might be interested.

The v drive is obviously not a direct drive ...but that being said we find our 23lsv to work great for barefooting. Our girls have been footing for 3 years. Our 11 year old (8 when she started) has mastered the tumble turns and footen on one. Both are now going long line and foot more than they ski. If you get a v drive and boom order the extension and you will be fine.

Edited by Murf

I owned and barefooted behind and beside a 04 DD Wakesetter, which is the same hull as the new I-ride. I thought it worked real well. That being said I'm not a great barefooter and have a limited selection of boats to compare it to. In my opinion our SV23 worked good for every water sport, but wasn't the best at any one of them.

Joe

Do you have a boom for your XTI? If you're selling I might be interested.

I don't use a boom. I learned long line and never got one. I would only consider getting one for when I teach kids to board or ski.