Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nautique Announces 100% Electric Wakeboard Boat

stewart

Useless. Low run time, and high price. Rumor I heard was the price will be near 200k...no thanks. Battery technology isn't there for a useable electric boat yet. Fit for a niche customer that is trying to skirt some kind of fuel rule or HP limit, as you would never come close to recovering your costs in fuel savings.

Resale would probably be pretty bad do to the battery lifespan and replacement cost. Who wants to buy a used boat and pony up $20k+ for a battery bank.

epic boats have tried it....there customers are all over seas?This is what I've heard/read

agree ...dumb idea...but that is what everyone thought of the Pries line.Boat market much smaller & not as green

78 KW Hours of battery life 160KW of peak power. Assuming a average power output of 50% or peak or 80KW you will have just under 1 hour of run time before the batteries are dead. As mentioned earlier battery technology is not ready yet for an electric boat, and I was real generous with my assumption.

It may not be super practical, but it sure would be sweet to ride behind something that quite! Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my V-8, but silence would be sweet too.

Thankfully, some outside the box thinkers keep trying to move away from fossil fuels. Keep trying !

The power of something like an Ipad wasn't even thought of not long ago.

Steve B.

Hyjack

I agree but we could cut our useage by about 30% going to diesel in our cars and trucks. My TDi jetta gets 44+ mpg with three drivers (one teen)., Just a thought. However the ipad comment is true just a couple of years ago the cost for going without paper in the cockpit of a jet was around 6000 minimum to about 160K for the really neat concept. I did the ipad thing at work and we are paperless for under 1000.

Hyjack off

ok so shoot me i'm board

Thankfully, some outside the box thinkers keep trying to move away from fossil fuels. Keep trying !

The power of something like an Ipad wasn't even thought of not long ago.

Steve B.

Where do you think the majority of electric power comes from? About 1/2 of the US Electric Generation is coal - a fossil fuel. Nearly another 1/4 is Natural Gas. The rest being Nuclear, with a small percentage being clean generation (solar/hydro/wind). How is that moving away from fossil fuels?

Edited by Nitrousbird
Where do you think the majority of electric power comes from?

Doesn't it grow on trees? Fall from the sky? Oh no, I know, it comes from electric eels... :Doh:

:crazy:

Where do you think the majority of electric power comes from? About 1/2 of the US Electric Generation is coal - a fossil fuel. Nearly another 1/4 is Natural Gas. The rest being Nuclear, with a small percentage being clean generation (solar/hydro/wind). How is that moving away from fossil fuels?

More hyjack-

Whatever the fossil fuel, I'm for reducing our dependence on it :thumbup: ha.

Steve B.

Hyjack off-

epic boats have tried it....there customers are all over seas?This is what I've heard/read

agree ...dumb idea...but that is what everyone thought of the Pries line.Boat market much smaller & not as green

I have no doubt that these boats will sell.... at almost any cost. The Prius sells, despitethe issues with making & disposing of it & it's batteries. Lets face it, Toyota could make almost any thing, even if it had lousy brakes & got worse mileage than VWs from the 70s, and people will still buy it.

It's too bad too. We could make a boat that ran on vegetable oil, and make it from algae or pot, but it's not PC so it would never sell. :Doh:

I have no doubt that these boats will sell.... at almost any cost. The Prius sells, despitethe issues with making & disposing of it & it's batteries. Lets face it, Toyota could make almost any thing, even if it had lousy brakes & got worse mileage than VWs from the 70s, and people will still buy it.

It's too bad too. We could make a boat that ran on vegetable oil, and make it from algae or pot, but it's not PC so it would never sell. :Doh:

:plus1: It is really sad that better solutions are avaliable but dont get used due to what the "chosen" technology is.