Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cool New Product Just Out!

Wakesetter67

There is no comparing this unit to a 420, its not a 420 wannabe. It's serving a different function all together. No Mic on this unit and certainly don't think that's a downfall in any way shape or form.

How so?

It's a smal 1/2 din mount eq with a few channel seperation / volume controls.

The only real difference I notice is that the 420 has seperate controls for the Eq portion for the tower and interrior speakers where this one doesn't.

Besides the processor difference and knobs this sure does appear to be like the clarion unit.

I like the BT puck and may pick one up but the EQ doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table besides bigger knobs.

How so?

It's a smal 1/2 din mount eq with a few channel seperation / volume controls.

The only real difference I notice is that the 420 has seperate controls for the Eq portion for the tower and interrior speakers where this one doesn't.

Besides the processor difference and knobs this sure does appear to be like the clarion unit.

I like the BT puck and may pick one up but the EQ doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table besides bigger knobs.

You answered your own question on the feature differences. From what I can tell from using it is that the intent is to combine two things that a boat needs, that's some preamp voltage and zone control. It's not trying to do a whole lot more than that. I guess a guy could argue that any 1/2 din device is the same though.

You answered your own question on the feature differences. From what I can tell from using it is that the intent is to combine two things that a boat needs, that's some preamp voltage and zone control. It's not trying to do a whole lot more than that. I guess a guy could argue that any 1/2 din device is the same though.

That has already been done.

If I looked around I bet I could find one thats already been on the market with the same processors.

Or this thats on ebay for $20-$40.

So it's got big knobs.

Yes, 90% of the 1/2 din devices are about the same. A preamp, crossover, and some kind of EQ built in to them.

So what has this new one brought to the table that wasn't already there?

1-Bigger knobs

???

???

???

But I would like more information on the BT puck's abilities.

Guys - I'm not exactly sure if its permitted for me "the manufacturer representative" to answer these questions in the open forum. I'd prefer to be respectful of the admins wishes. I sent wakegirl and email but haven't heard back from her yet. Until then, if you need info, please send me a pm and I'd be happy to give you the 411.

-Brian

Edited by Brianinpdx

Guys - I'm not exactly sure if its permitted for me "the manufacturer representative" to answer these questions in the open forum. I'd prefer to be respectful of the admins wishes. I sent wakegirl and email but haven't heard back from her yet. Until then, if you need info, please send me a pm and I'd be happy to give you the 411.

-Brian

your pm box is full. was wondering if hte zld has a mini/micro/standard usb port to charge the airpuck.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea..had a look at the manual I guess its similiar to other units in that you have to run your RCA's from deck and back to the amps? The only thing I dont like about any unit like this is the long RCA run. How much would it cost in cables to hook one of these up. Others have said that earlier versions made by other companies added "noise" to the stereo. Have these issues been resolved by all manufactures? When I chatted with Paul he brought this to my attention..just wondering if it needs to be on the must have list? !

Talk to Brian on those specifics, from what I understand this thing was built specifically for sound quality. To me anyone with a black box type head unit needs one of these. It's certainly on my must have list..

Well may have to add it to the order. I have one of these http://watersportinnovations.com/the-boost-box which connects to my source unit. I assume it will stil work as designed even with this new product?

Yeah everything will work fine. I've got a Zld and hse unit in my boat and works great. The boost box will still work for you, you'll just have to understand how they will work with eachother.

Edited by Bobby Light

old skool,

Since the Boost Box works upstream in the source unit remote control loop and operates just like a remote control (not in the actual signal path) it will not make any difference whether or not you add an EQ, zone controls, etc. Two independent issues in this case.

David

What is the best way to get the RCA's from the black box over to the drivers area and back with 4 RCA set ups. Looks to be a tricky route though the floor

What is the best way to get the RCA's from the black box over to the drivers area and back with 4 RCA set ups. Looks to be a tricky route though the floor

Go just infront of the bow ballast tank. Pretty slick route.

By 4 RCAs you mean 4 pairs.... Or 8 total right? 2 input and 6 output?

Yes, correct nyryan, and I don't have a front ballast tank so I would have to route all the way around the perimeter in the front, and that would be a long route.

So who's got a nice clean bracket ready for sale for this? How long of an RCA length do you need..8ft?

Rob,

8' won't cut it. You'll need 4 sets of RCA cables. 1 set going out of your Black Box (front output) to the ZLD, then 3 sets going back to your amps for each zone. If you're going to add more than one amp per zone you'll obiously need to add a short pass through RCA set by the amps. I assume you'll install the unit under the driver dash within easy reach. I used 17' RCA cables when I did mine, but probably could have gotten away with 14' RCA's. I didn't want to take a chance because they are routed away from everything like medallion box, computer, etc that could cause noise... My amps are not all right next to each other on an amp rack so wanted to make sure I had long enough cables, didn't want to have to extend them.

Liljohn might have a bracket or two still available, if not PM him he gave his original CNC design to a machine shop. They are the only real deal out there.

As far as the unit being 8 volts, I have no doubt, but I haven't measured it. I swapped the clarion 7v unit to the ZLD and had to retune my setup, certainly seemed to have more voltage than the clarion as I had to adjust the gains down some on the amps. That's just my hands on experience with it.