Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear Trunk Floor Material

Indebound

Im trying to reinforce the rear trunk floor of my 2000 Sunsetter LXI to support ballast on top of the gas tank. Im wondering if anyone knows what type of plastic the rear trunk floor material is. I want to determine the amount of floor deflection in between the metal reinforcement supports I'll be installing. I saw the write up by msuwaterski (if i remember the name correctly) and using that as a guide. Is it HDPE (high density polyethylene)? its not the honeycomb aluminum, is it?

I'll also be installing screws to the backside of the seat for the one side of the rear. What is a common plastic material used for things like seat, upholstry substrates or storage partitioning areas of our boats? is that HDPE, also?

All of the plastic used for trim panels in the interior is HDPE. Don't even bother doing the calcs for deflection, you need to run a support the entire width of the locker, and then pick that load up with braces that run front to back.

All of the plastic used for trim panels in the interior is HDPE. Don't even bother doing the calcs for deflection, you need to run a support the entire width of the locker, and then pick that load up with braces that run front to back.

Thanks for the confirmation. As an engineer and for piece of mind, I'm going to do the calculations. Right now I plan on using 4 - 1x1" 6061 Al bow/stern supports, with side/side support as mentioned by skicrave. i'll let ppl know what i come up with for a design.

I'm an ME as well, and I did the deflection calcs once. Basically the result is that for a bag that completely fills the locker, the trim panel provides no structural support.