Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Drain

After fully charged battery (Optima Blue top Gel type) 13v. I have something drawing some amp/voltage as I can check the battery days later after no useage and shows 12,11.8,11.5, on down... and have to recharge again for maintenance over the winter here. (Battery 2 stays full charge,but have perko switch set on #1)

Is there that much draw for computer ect... while boat is not in use? Im goin to keep record of voltage drop daily for the next week to see if I have some kind of issue.

BTW 08 VTX Thanks for any advise/info ect...

On my boat (dual batteries and switch) the stereo amps including black box are wired to the battery not the output of the switch. They do pull about 50 milliamps for memory etc. This is factory wired this way so i have a drain on one battery that would kill it in about 6 days. I now use a simple C-Teck charger maintainer to keep the one battery alive. I know a number on the forum use much more high end pro chargers used on RVs or large boats/ fishing boats to maintain multiple batteries.

I realized the problem after killing the one battery in 3 seasons due to the many deep discharge cycles.

After fully charged battery (Optima Blue top Gel type) 13v. I have something drawing some amp/voltage as I can check the battery days later after no useage and shows 12,11.8,11.5, on down... and have to recharge again for maintenance over the winter here. (Battery 2 stays full charge,but have perko switch set on #1)

Is there that much draw for computer ect... while boat is not in use? Im goin to keep record of voltage drop daily for the next week to see if I have some kind of issue.

BTW 08 VTX Thanks for any advise/info ect...

does the perko switch allow you to open the circuit to both batteries?

Disconnect the ground cable from the suspect battery after charging. If there was a draw, the battery will still show full charge after a few days. If its a bad battery, you will again find it low after a couple days.

Edited by MLA

h2ojunkie,

A healthy lead acid battery will only self-discharge several percent per month with no load. An AGM (like an Optima) will discharge even less. So measure the fully charged battery after being totally disconnected for a duration. If you see a measurable drop after just a few days then get the battery load tested. Consider that a brand new fully charged AGM will be around 12.8 volts. The initial higher charge from the charger will not last and will soon dissipate after the charger is disconnected. So your real starting point may be 12.7 to 12.5 volts on a decent used battery after the initial charger dissipation but should hold voltage beyond that within a few weeks.

G-Mack,

Your C-tek uses pulse technology so it behaves a little bigger than its amperage rating.

If your boats are not stored in the water is there any reason to keep either battery on line during long term storage?

David

tvano, Yes the Perko allows both batteries "on" 1,2 or both. I will try the ground disconnect to see if battery is issue. Batteries I believe are 3 1/2yrs old. I charge weekly.

David, always appreciate you input and expertise. I do keep mine connected as I use the stereo as I have my boat in my barn and do alot of projects ect... out there. I have a high quality charger and electric in my barn so easy to hook up and keep batteries charged.Anytime I use stereo ect... I charge my batteries,even during "in season use" I charge batteries as I like to keep them maintained for peace of mind.

Appreciate all tips and replies, thanks.

No battery expert, but maybe this would be a good addition to help with this issue? Not sure if your current charger would be comparable to this? Once hooked up this is a simple plug in and be done operation.

IMG_4576.jpg

Stereo11.jpg

I agree with Bobby Light. I had to put a Perko in to use as a disconnect on my 08RLXi.

My 08 has the perko switch but the factory wired the amps and stereo direct to one of the batteries so switching the perko switch to off did not stop the drain on the one battery from the stereo. On my boat the stereo is wired to the front battery in relation to the front of the boat. The simple $70 C-teck charger works great vs. a big procharger. The nice thing with the C-Teck it it has a quick connect and a battery post installation kit. So all I need to do is connect to the quick connect hanging outside the battery box.

My 08 has the perko switch but the factory wired the amps and stereo direct to one of the batteries so switching the perko switch to off did not stop the drain on the one battery from the stereo. On my boat the stereo is wired to the front battery in relation to the front of the boat. The simple $70 C-teck charger works great vs. a big procharger. The nice thing with the C-Teck it it has a quick connect and a battery post installation kit. So all I need to do is connect to the quick connect hanging outside the battery box.

you could put one of these on the ground cable of your amps:

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Power-Relay-Battery-Isolator/dp/B000K52EAY

wire then wire it up to either shut off with the perko, radio (using a second intermediate relay since your radio wont be able to switch that relay), or switch mounted remotely.

Full charge Sunday 12.8v, Monday 12.6, Tues 12.3,Wed 12.0 Definetly some drain so weekly charging seems be to be order. Fman, that Pro Mariner charger looks to be a good choice and is definetly on the "to get list".

H2ojunkie,

Have you totally isolated the battery so that you have determined whether this is self-discharge or an external drain? If its self-discharge then the battery is problematic.

If its an external draw why don't you isolate the battery during storage and eliminate the draw? What boat electronic component would be essential to have a constant supply during long term storage?

Certainly a battery charger is still a good idea.

David

I'm convinced that it's external draw. Since using the disconnect, we've had no issues with ours. Also, I know a few others with the same issue as mine.........coincidence, I think not.

I wonder if the stereo's get or keep their station memory/settings, etc from the battery lead, or the ignition lead?

One thing that bugs me, after battery disconnect from perko, have to re-set stations each time out. :(

Steve B.

Steve,

Unfortunately some HUs need to maintain the memory to bypass hidden default settings which is a real pain. I could tolerate the presets a little easier. We install a switch that circumvents the Perko for the memory. Its not used for week to week and short term applications. But it is used for winter and long term storage. Then its not too bad to reset everything once per season.

David

I would follow David's advice FIRST before wasting any time of finding the draw.

H2ojunkie,

Have you totally isolated the battery so that you have determined whether this is self-discharge or an external drain? If its self-discharge then the battery is problematic.

THEN (if it's not a battery problem) :

Step 1: Learn how to use an Amp Meter.

Step 2: Put meter in circuit (Series)... (not a Clamp Style Meter)

Step 3: Read current draw.

Step 4: Start isolating the draw by pulling fuses.