Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter Lxi New Interior

braindamage

I'm a noob Malibu owner, though I've had boats most of my life. I've just purchased a 2000 Sunsetter LXi at a very good price, but the interior is in real rough shape. The previous owner left it outside with no cover for many seasons. The interior is "sunburned", but only a couple of the cushions are starting to rip. The vinyl is in generaly ok but discolored.

My options as I see it are:

1) Replace only the damaged cushions to have the boat functional and live with the "sunburn". Replace additional cushions as they rip out.

2) Re-do the entire interior. I don't know if it's better to have someone local redo the vinyl or if Malibu still makes interiors.

Anybody have any experience with this type of issue. Does anyone have an estimate of how much it would cost?

There is a guy out in CA who works for the Malibu factory that does vinyl work for older boats on the side, search for Chee. He can make the vinyl "skins" of each cushion with the factory templates, materials, and colors.

I've used him several times and his prices are very reasonable. You can then try to install the cushions yourself or farm it out to a local upholstery guy. When I've done the work before I did some of the easy stuff myself and farmed out the more difficult stuff to a local shop. Results were great.

Total cost with professional install I'd guess around $3000 for the complete interior. If you're trying to save some cash I'd spring for the entire set of skins from Chee and install them as needed/as funds allow.

New interior, a good wetsand and buff, and some new decals the boat will look brand new.

-Chris

search this forum for "skins" and "chee"

for example

My link

You can get a new set of all 26 or so pieces of vinyl (original design) from Malibu Crew Legend Chee Moua for a very reasonable price. Then put them on yourself or have them put on. Many discussions on here about this.

My skins are carefully rolled and waiting in my boat room for install this spring.

You guys are the best! I got Chee's number and email. I will contact him and see what he can do. I got the boat for a steal, but it definately could use a good clean, detail, wetsand and buff. Where do you get decals?

You guys are the best! I got Chee's number and email. I will contact him and see what he can do. I got the boat for a steal, but it definately could use a good clean, detail, wetsand and buff. Where do you get decals?

Bakes

I'm a noob Malibu owner, though I've had boats most of my life. I've just purchased a 2000 Sunsetter LXi at a very good price, but the interior is in real rough shape. The previous owner left it outside with no cover for many seasons. The interior is "sunburned", but only a couple of the cushions are starting to rip. The vinyl is in generaly ok but discolored.

My options as I see it are:

1) Replace only the damaged cushions to have the boat functional and live with the "sunburn". Replace additional cushions as they rip out.

2) Re-do the entire interior. I don't know if it's better to have someone local redo the vinyl or if Malibu still makes interiors.

Anybody have any experience with this type of issue. Does anyone have an estimate of how much it would cost?

Chee gets paid in full in advance by check. While that is normally something I would not do, that is what is required with Chee. My Big Box of Skins arrived just like he said about three weeks or less after he got the check.

I'm having difficulty getting a few pieces off for the interior re-do:

1) The gunnels (or gunwales...whatever) on the side. I removed the nuts that hold the top but cannot figure out what is holding the bottom. It looks like all one piece that is half viny half carpet. Do you have any suggestions or pictures?

2) The rear lean-back. I see the nuts on the sides but how do I access the mounts on the back?

3) Several of the bolts were snipped and when I attempt to remove the nut it sticks and strips whatever is holding the bolt on the other side. I assume I'll have to slit the vinyl and use screwdriver or something to keep the bolt head from stripping.

Let me know if you have suggestions!

Thanks!

• 8 years later...
10 hours ago, Sam36 said:

Can anybody relay Chee’s contact info. Found this email ([email protected]) on one of the forums but it is no longer in use. Thank you

Chee does not exist anymore, there are a few other sources, search "gabe" and "upholstery" and you should find some alternate contacts.

6 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Chee does not exist anymore, there are a few other sources, search "gabe" and "upholstery" and you should find some alternate contacts.

Or try your local upholsterer.  I had a couple pieces done last year and there is NWIH you can tell they are not original.  Pretty much every vinyl can be matched.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Or try your local upholsterer.  I had a couple pieces done last year and there is NWIH you can tell they are not original.  Pretty much every vinyl can be matched.

Yep that's what I did too, full interior several years ago locally and it turned out great.

17 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yeah I just have a feeling on what they’re gonna charge but that may be my only option. I’ll try the Gabe thing. Thank you

There is also that Copy cat skins place...  I could have saved a couple bucksby pulling off the old skins myself, and maybe for the next time I will, but last year having a pro do a faboulous job locally was worth it to me.  He even replaced a bunch of hardware for free.

One thing I did learn was that if you do it yourself, buy a pneumatic staple gun.  An electric one does not drive the staples in far enough.  I removed my driver's seat skin to have a jump seat matched, and removed my rear bench seat to repair the support under it, and definitely struggled with the electric staple gun.  My wife is going to recover the ottoman so we recently picked up the pneumatic gun.

I recently had my boat completely reupholstered at Viper Customs in TN not sure if that is an option for you due to location but they seem to primarily work on Wake Boats. Everyone I could find local seemed to focus on furniture and automotive repairs.

2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

One thing I did learn was that if you do it yourself, buy a pneumatic staple gun.  An electric one does not drive the staples in far enough.  I removed my driver's seat skin to have a jump seat matched, and removed my rear bench seat to repair the support under it, and definitely struggled with the electric staple gun.  My wife is going to recover the ottoman so we recently picked up the pneumatic gun.

And while we're at it, make sure you're using STAINLESS steel staples.  Regular ones will definitely rust and it is a major PITA to remove.

• Like 3

I installed mine on my own. Yes use SS staples and a pneumatic gun. Also buy a handheld clothes steamer, like a shark. You need it to stretch the vinyl over and around corners.