Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 6V Battery's..

Wakesetter67

Vinnie - Did you guys get this installed? If yes, can you post some pics up? I am needing to re-battery this spring.

They were just getting ready to install them yesterday when I stoped By, I will head up there again next week for some Photos...Stay Tuned!!!

Anymore information on these batteries as a replacement for the typical deep cycle batteries we have been using? I was just about to purchase an Interstate SRM29 for use as my second battery but it seems that using the 6v would provide a greater advantage. Are you still able to use the blue sea battery switch and Prosport chargers with these golf cart batteries?

Edited by BlitzedVLX

Anymore information on these batteries as a replacement for the typical deep cycle batteries we have been using? I was just about to purchase an Interstate SRM29 for use as my second battery but it seems that using the 6v would provide a greater advantage. Are you still able to use the blue sea battery switch and Prosport chargers with these golf cart batteries?

If you were only going to use 1 srm29 and only have the space for that one than two 6v batteries might not work. The 6v batteries do provide advantages in certain situations, but not all situations. You need 2 of them so when you wire them in series you have 12v. You can use your prosport charger to charge them as they are a large 12v battery when wired in series. Nothing in your system needs to change to incorporate two 6v batteries. I've been using 6v batteries for years.

If you were only going to use 1 srm29 and only have the space for that one than two 6v batteries might not work. The 6v batteries do provide advantages in certain situations, but not all situations. You need 2 of them so when you wire them in series you have 12v. You can use your prosport charger to charge them as they are a large 12v battery when wired in series. Nothing in your system needs to change to incorporate two 6v batteries. I've been using 6v batteries for years.

Great thanks for the response and sorry for the thread jack.. currently i have an interstate Marine Cranking 24M-XHD and Pro-Guide 24M 810 Starting batteries running on there 4th season but I should have the room. These will just be slightly taller correct? Also the 2 can be used for starting along with the stereo? Using the switch can the two 6v batteries be isoloated i.e. 1 only, 1+2, or 2 only ?

Edited by BlitzedVLX

Great thanks for the response and sorry for the thread jack.. currently i have an interstate Marine Cranking 24M-XHD and Pro-Guide 24M 810 Starting batteries running on there 4th season but I should have the room. These will just be slightly taller correct? Also the 2 can be used for starting along with the stereo? Using the switch can the two 6v batteries be isoloated i.e. 1 only, 1+2, or 2 only ?

They are slightly taller about 10.75" and will require different battery box/boxes. You need to think of two 6v batteries as 1 large 12v battery in both size and capacity. Once you combine them in series they are no longer 2 separate batteries, you will hook them up when in series just as you would any other 12v battery. However you will have a + and - lug on the batteries that wll not be useable as these are used to make the series connection unlike connecting two 12v batteries in parallel where you can still use all 4 lugs on the two batteries.

Edited by Bobby Light

They are slightly taller about 10.75" and will require different battery box/boxes. You need to think of two 6v batteries as 1 large 12v battery in both size and capacity. Once you combine them in series they are no longer 2 separate batteries, you will hook them up when in series just as you would any other 12v battery. However you will have a + and - lug on the batteries that wll not be useable as these are used to make the series connection unlike connecting two 12v batteries in parallel where you can still use all 4 lugs on the two batteries.

So existentially you would need 4 6v batteries to equal 2 12v batteries to be able to have 4 lugs and therefore able to use the switch to isolate the batteries?

So existentially you would need 4 6v batteries to equal 2 12v batteries to be able to have 4 lugs and therefore able to use the switch to isolate the batteries?

Not quite, yes you'd need 4 6v batteries to have the 4 useable battery lugs but you can still hook 2 6v batteries in series and use your battery switch to isolate the batteries. You will not isolate 2 6v batteries from eachother, only your reserve starting battery or some other battery bank on your boat.

Great thanks for the response and sorry for the thread jack.. currently i have an interstate Marine Cranking 24M-XHD and Pro-Guide 24M 810 Starting batteries running on there 4th season but I should have the room. These will just be slightly taller correct? Also the 2 can be used for starting along with the stereo? Using the switch can the two 6v batteries be isolated i.e. 1 only, 1+2, or 2 only ?

Although there is no advantage to the added expense and loss of space to use a pair of 6V batteries as your primary starting bank, there would no reason a pair of 6V in the house bank could not be used as a backup starting bank if needed. And just to reiterate, Two 6V batteries need to be wired in series to = 12v. You can not isolate a single 6V out of the bank and use it by itself.

As as comparison, 2 Interstate SRM-29 wired in parallel have a Rc of 420 and 2 GC-2 wired in series have an RC of 474. So it would come down to cost, space, the system as a whole and how its used.

Edited by MLA

Although there is no advantage to the added expense and loss of space to use a pair of 6V batteries as your primary starting bank, there would no reason a pair of 6V in the house bank could not be used as a backup starting bank if needed. And just to reiterate, Two 6V batteries need to be wired in parallel to = 12v. You van not isolate a single 6V out of the bank and use it by itself.

As as comparison, 2 Interstate SRM-29 wired in parallel have a Rc of 420 and 2 GC-2 wired in series have an RC of 474. So it would come down to cost, space, the system as a whole and how its used.

They need to be wired in Series not Parallel. Series = Double the voltage / Parallel = Double the capacity. If you had 2 6v batteries that had reserve capacities of 250 amp hours each, when you wire them in Series you have 12v and a total of 250 amp hours. If you wire them in Parallel you would have 6v and 500 amp hours of capacity.

They need to be wired in Series not Parallel. Series = Double the voltage / Parallel = Double the capacity. If you had 2 6v batteries that had reserve capacities of 250 amp hours each, when you wire them in Series you have 12v and a total of 250 amp hours. If you wire them in Parallel you would have 6v and 500 amp hours of capacity.

Yes, I know how the series/parallel thingy works, thanks. It was typo.

Good catch Bobby. There is a big difference between series and parallel in using 6V batteries. MLA your not the only one thats made that mistake before. If in doubt just hook it up para-series-lell (jokes). Actually I'd suggest just consulting that www.bcae1.com site. Sometimes a great visual helps in these battery / wiring topics.

@ Murph: I'll send Vinc'e some pics later this week on his battery setup and he can share with you.

-Brian