Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Caddy Motor

A-hole

talked to the supra rep at the boat show.He said there caddy motor has no cat's.Is that true for the entire line of this mill?The catalist is good for breathing behind the craft......right?...for surfing...

talked to the supra rep at the boat show.He said there caddy motor has no cat's.Is that true for the entire line of this mill?The catalist is good for breathing behind the craft......right?...for surfing...

I believe only Indmar and PCM offer the LSA - Indmar using a log-style manifold, and PCM using a header style. Neither have cats.

If you are really worried about gasses behind the boat, just install a FAE and be done with it.

I believe only Indmar and PCM offer the LSA - Indmar using a log-style manifold, and PCM using a header style. Neither have cats.

If you are really worried about gasses behind the boat, just install a FAE and be done with it.

OKI, I'm game....what is a FAE?

While we're discovering new terms...

A, what or why do you keep calling motors mills? What is that short for?

UH...In the auto industry it is often used to describe the motor...Or...power plant , power package , gear.

similar industry...would think the jargin' would cross?

I am a major gear head

One of the reasons I like boating so much is the fact it is (boat) a fantastic mechanical unit.

While we're discovering new terms...

A, what or why do you keep calling motors mills? What is that short for?

mill 1 |mil|

noun

2 [informal] an engine.

UH...In the auto industry it is often used to describe the motor...Or...power plant , power package , gear.

similar industry...would think the jargin' would cross?

I am a major gear head

One of the reasons I like boating so much is the fact it is (boat) a fantastic mechanical unit.

Well,

I'm a former ASE master, with L1 and former Volvo Master tech.

I've never, ever heard of it. I also track a Ducati and do all the work on that myself. (reminds me, gotta put that new voltage regulator in it today)

Maybe it's a regional thing?

Oh,

I should state that I went to school and started turning wrenches in Boston. Was professional tech. for 5 yrs. at 3 different dealers. One Oldsmobile, 2 Volvo.

Then,

I moved to CA. Turned wrenches at 1 dealer for 7 yrs. at 3 different locations. Still, never, ever, heard anyone call a motor a mill.

Meh. :unsure:

Mill real common in midwest also. I'm gonna guess it literally comes from power mill. When mill's switched over from horse or water powered to combustion engine powered.

Even today you can sometimes find something like a hemi engine as a backup system for things like ski chair lift systems.

Steve B.

Pete ,

You're just too young.

Had you been born in 1946 you would have seen the movie " Thunder Road " .

It was about moonshiners driving way too fast at night to avoid the Feds.

Robert Mitchum was the lead.

He use the term " Mill " repeatedly.

You and he would have been buddies. :)

http://quotes.lucywho.com/robert-mitchum-quotes-t26376.html

Well,

I've never, ever heard of it. I also track a Ducati and do all the work on that myself. (reminds me, gotta put that new voltage regulator in it today)

have you ever heard of a boat called "a craft" ?:::))))))))))))

• 5 weeks later...

The LSA does not have CATs on it. Provided a mfg produces enough CAT equipped engines, any engine over 500 hp is then exempt from needing CAT exhaust.

Peter

Well,

Pete, on rare occasion I have seen the term used mostly in those boring car magazines. I would rather read from Alldata :lol:

Edited by Ruffdog

the FAE, while a cheaper alternative - doesn't quite do the same job as the cats - 2010 and newer - all have cats from what I've been told... another reason to upgrade???

that depends on what you are trying to solve. the CATS are great, but they dont completely eliminate all of the dangerous gasses. the FAE does nothing for eliminating dangerous gasses, but it does keep the exhaust away from surfers and from passengers when surfing.

Just as an FYI -

When the US Coast Guard (and another agency, I've forgotten who) took each of Indmar's engines and tested them independently for emissions, they were blown away by what was achieved by Indmar's engineers and R&D guys.

USCG Results of the main three exhaust components:

Hydrocarbons : 70% reduction

NOx : 70% reduction

Carbon Dioxide : 93% reduction

And, of great concern to the boat builders was of course performance. Indmar took a production boat off the line and test ran it, recording all specs. Then they removed the exhaust manifolds and installed CAT exhaust on the exact same engine in the exact same boat on the same day, and recorded essentially the same results. (From pure data it was actually faster acceleration and top speed, but without recording instruments you might not notice)

Indmar is extremely good at what they do.

Peter

Just as an FYI -

When the US Coast Guard (and another agency, I've forgotten who) took each of Indmar's engines and tested them independently for emissions, they were blown away by what was achieved by Indmar's engineers and R&D guys.

USCG Results of the main three exhaust components:

Hydrocarbons : 70% reduction

NOx : 70% reduction

Carbon Dioxide : 93% reduction

And, of great concern to the boat builders was of course performance. Indmar took a production boat off the line and test ran it, recording all specs. Then they removed the exhaust manifolds and installed CAT exhaust on the exact same engine in the exact same boat on the same day, and recorded essentially the same results. (From pure data it was actually faster acceleration and top speed, but without recording instruments you might not notice)

Indmar is extremely good at what they do.

Peter

Wow good info :thumbup: .