Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Surf Set-Ups And Boards

gSm

I've got 8" of snow on the ground and I am dreaming of getting back on the water. Purchased my Wakesetter VLX at the end of the season last year and did not get a chance to dial everything in. I am looking for advice on the best ballast set-ups for Goofy Foot, also what boards are you using for 200-260 lbs.

Here is my current set up;

Factory ballast front full, center full, right rear full. 400lb bag up front, 900 bag in the back right. Board is a 5'3" Liquid Force Fish.

The wake seems short in length. Let me know what your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

GSM

Yes, I forgot about the wedge. I have it set to the maximum.

I would run the wedge at the bottom or 0% or a few clicks up and speed at 10.4 to 10.8. Try a 750 or 1100 in the locker and another 750 or 400 on the rear surf side seat.

for sheer size nothing beats displacement. to lengthen the wave use more weight up front. to steepen the wave put some more in the rear surfe side. The best way to dial in the wake will be to take some dyamic ballast with you (just dont call them "fat sacs") :whistle: and move weight around while moving and see what it does to the wave in both shape and length. This will give you an idea of where to add extra weight.

for sheer size nothing beats displacement.

X 2.

All I surf is goofy also. You need to get a hard lean on the surf side of your boat at rest and underway.

Surf side ballast full, port ballast should be empty. Middle and front tanks 1/2 full. Gas tank 1/2 full. Full tanks in mid, bow and gas fight against you to level the boat back out. you need a hard lean on the surf side.

I am not 100% familiar with the VLX compartment sizes, but try to fit the 1100lb square/rectangular sac in the right rear locker as full as it will go.... and try to run a 750lb long and skinny up under the seats/gunnels on the surf side or on top of the seats. have all your extra folks in the boat on the surf side, all additional weight on surf side.

wedge all the way down, then 2-4 taps or click back up from the locked position. Vary your speed from 10.4 up to 11.6. As you are going, fool around with trying 1-2 folks in the bow, and the surf side...play around with your bow ballast from 1/2 to full. vary your wedge from all the way dow and locked to as far as 6-8 taps on the MTC back up.

All these changes will help you dial it in. Seems as though its rarely the same when I go out.... always have to play around with it for a bit to dial it in to a clean steep, long curling wave.

You'll have a clean massive (waist high) surf wake if you follow this.

As far as boards... if you are a beginner, and in the 225+ category, you likely want to get a surf style, not skim. and likely would want to get one of the larger boards...5'8", 5'10" or so.

I have used this liquid force rounded nose one, I think its 5'8" or 5'10 and it works great. I have used it now for 4 years. Its great for the bigger guys. You arent going to be doing a whole lot of tricks on it, but is a very easy board to learn on and will be perfect for teaching you and others how to ride ropeless and get the basics. I have pull up 260lb guys on the board, 1st timers and they go up the 1st time 1st pull on this board.

• 2 weeks later...

water depth makes a huge difference. as long as you match the weight in the rear with the front the pocket will be maximized. if you operate in shallow water the weight and wedge will not have the same results. depths greater then 20' make the best surf wakes. less then 20' and the wake diminishes with every foot of lost depth.

Another tip is to keep making a very slight turn towards the surf side. For example if you are surfing on the starboard side, if the driver keeps a slight right turn (5 degrees?) going it helps shape the wake too.

Another tip is to keep making a very slight turn towards the surf side. For example if you are surfing on the starboard side, if the driver keeps a slight right turn (5 degrees?) going it helps shape the wake too.

That can be a tricky solution. On my VTX it actually cleans up going slightly in the oppostire direction.

I have also noticed this is true on a 2009 23 XTI. But all you can do is play with it and see what works best for you.

That can be a tricky solution. On my VTX it actually cleans up going slightly in the oppostire direction.

I have also noticed this is true on a 2009 23 XTI. But all you can do is play with it and see what works best for you.

:plus1: Agreed Trent. I found when running lots of weight..being 750 in the locker, 400 on the seat and 400 in the bow we had to keep a very, very slight turn from cener in the opposite direction to clean up the wake. It becomes more noticable the more people you put in the boat.