Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got Myself a new Stick

apexeon

First a little background, This past summer was the first season back on the course. I sold my 1988 Nautique back in 1994 to move into saltwater fishing and diving. Then it was aviation as I got my private pilot in 2002 and instrument and complex/high performance in 2003. Sold the airplane in 2004 and bought the 1997 Response in Sept 2004. So I've come full circle. I got back on the course sking my early 1990 vintage Kidder Redline and slowly got back into 34 mph. My ski partner rides a SIXAM and suggested I might ski better on new technology. Enter the HO Truth. I could not even run 30 mph and make six. After some binding placement and fin adjustment I was still having serious problems. Then it happened, Out the front in one of the worst falls I've ever had. My back was in bad shape. 3 weeks later I was back on the water on the Redline and the Truth was on e-bay. The rest of the season on the redline was my best as my best run was 4 1/2 at 28 off 34 mph.

I ordered a KD CR-7 after much thought and the assurance from Wiley that if I didn't like it I could return it for a full credit toward another ski. Do you guys have any suggestions on set-up of the fin and binding placement or should I just try it and adjust as needed?

Congrats! We'll be looking for a full review this spring.

What airplane did you sell and why?

I had a Piper Warrior II. Sold it because I wanted a complex single. After selling mine and finding out how much insurance was on a Mooney or Arrow I wish I had kept the Warrior. The gentleman that bought mine has promised to give me first shot if he decides to sell. Oh and did I mention that AV gas has gone from $1.90/gal to $4.55/gal. The Warrior went through 9 gal/hour.

How long did it take you to get your private pilot's license? I've always wanted to get mine. I just don't have the time right now but I will do it one of these days.

How long did it take you to get your private pilot's license? I've always wanted to get mine. I just don't have the time right now but I will do it one of these days.

Took me 4 months. I had 42 hours when I took the checkride. I tried to fly twice a week but of course there were times when the weather was bad and I didn't fly for a week or two. I would suggest the following:

1 Don't start unless you have the time and money set aside to finish.

2 Use the King Schools test prep for the written.

3 Try to fly at least 2 days per week 3 days per week is better. You will get it done faster and spend less money if you do it as quickly as you can see #1 above.

Turning an 8 hour car ride into a 2 hour flight was pretty sweet.

reminds me of the days when we'd load up the fam in the Cherokee Six and head to Table Rock for the weekend...75 mins flying was way better than 5 hrs of driving.

I think we all have a pile of "Bad Slalom Skis", just like the bag of "Bad Drivers" in the corner of my garage. Every driver I buy starts off long and straight but before long all the other clubs in the bag have their usual bad influence on it and it goes bad too.

Congrats! We'll be looking for a full review this spring.

What airplane did you sell and why?

I had a Piper Warrior II. Sold it because I wanted a complex single. After selling mine and finding out how much insurance was on a Mooney or Arrow I wish I had kept the Warrior. The gentleman that bought mine has promised to give me first shot if he decides to sell. Oh and did I mention that AV gas has gone from $1.90/gal to $4.55/gal. The Warrior went through 9 gal/hour.

I found and restored a '63 Mooney M20C from the ground figuring it was going to be the quickest single I could find (even though anything under .8 mach is the speed of drool). It was my first foray into certificated aircraft. Real nice airplane when I got done with it. 75% cruise power was between 178 and 190mph at 9.5gal/hr. Turning an 8 hour car ride into a 2 hour flight was pretty sweet. The problem was you were constantly subject to every AD the FAA threw out there for whatever reason. Unfounded AD's on the O-360A based on someone else abusing their engine were killing me so I went back to EAA. As soon as my boy turns 5 we're going to start cutting metal on the next one.

I looked at several mooneys in the 1963 and up C and E all the way up to late 70's 201s but for the exact reasons you mentioned I'm thinking about going the EAA route. I made an offer on a RV-6 last week but I think the owner is holding out for his asking price. My A/P, IA is a dealer for RANS. He took me for a ride in a super 6 and it was a blast. 1500 fpm fully loaded(it was a cool day). His work is exceptional and the RANS is a good kit. What would be really nice is a RV-10 but I just can't spend that kind of money.

Took me 4 months. I had 42 hours when I took the checkride. I tried to fly twice a week but of course there were times when the weather was bad and I didn't fly for a week or two. I would suggest the following:

3 Try to fly at least 2 days per week 3 days per week is better. You will get it done faster and spend less money if you do it as quickly as you can see #1 above.

Sounds loke good advice. Money isn't the issue, it's the time. I agree that when I do it, I want to have the time to fully devote myself to getting the license. Do you recommend taking lessons at a busy airport or a smaller airfield with less traffic. We have both around here.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds loke good advice. Money isn't the issue, it's the time. I agree that when I do it, I want to have the time to fully devote myself to getting the license. Do you recommend taking lessons at a busy airport or a smaller airfield with less traffic. We have both around here.

Thanks for the advice.

More important than the airport and even the plane is the teacher. There are a lot of young CFIs out there building hours so they can move on to the next level. Problem is they may move on in the middle of your training. Check around and see if you can find an experienced CFI. I didn't say old but you don't want to be a new CFI's first student. Hang out around the flight schools, join AOPA, and a local EAA chapter thats where you can gain a wealth of information.

As far as busy field or not, I learned at TLH. It is a class C with approach control, tower and ground control. Getting started in a somewhat busy, controlled enviroment was a good start for me as it prepared me for the instrument ticket.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread go so completely off topic, aided and abetted by the OP, without the OT ever being discussed..was there a question about a ski of some kind, or did I misunderstand what kind of stick we were discussing? Dontknow.gif

FWIW, if you hated the HO and like your Redline, I think you'll love the new KD...I'd go with the factory settings until you get used to it, then only tinker a teeny bit at a time, with only one adjustment at a time.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread go so completely off topic, aided and abetted by the OP, without the OT ever being discussed..was there a question about a ski of some kind, or did I misunderstand what kind of stick we were discussing? Dontknow.gif

FWIW, if you hated the HO and like your Redline, I think you'll love the new KD...I'd go with the factory settings until you get used to it, then only tinker a teeny bit at a time, with only one adjustment at a time.

Yes it did stray into another direction. I feel it's because I put in background information explaining why I was on a ski that was 15 years old. However, since other members posted questions about a subject that I have a passion for I felt compeled to answer.

Thanks for your insight regarding the set-up of my new ski. I skied on a HO Mach 1 back in the late 80's and felt the Truth would be easy to transition to. NOT. Several people have told me the same thing about moving from the redline to the CR-7. Thanks for your response.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread go so completely off topic, aided and abetted by the OP, without the OT ever being discussed..was there a question about a ski of some kind, or did I misunderstand what kind of stick we were discussing?

Don't change the subject. Biggrin.gif

More important than the airport and even the plane is the teacher. There are a lot of young CFIs out there building hours so they can move on to the next level. Problem is they may move on in the middle of your training. Check around and see if you can find an experienced CFI. I didn't say old but you don't want to be a new CFI's first student. Hang out around the flight schools, join AOPA, and a local EAA chapter thats where you can gain a wealth of information.

As far as busy field or not, I learned at TLH. It is a class C with approach control, tower and ground control. Getting started in a somewhat busy, controlled enviroment was a good start for me as it prepared me for the instrument ticket.

Good info. Thanks.

I hope you like the CR-7. I have a friend who has one and likes it a lot and looks good on it. I tried it out and man did it ever school me. My left ribs were hurting for a good 3 or 4 weeks afterwards. Actually maybe I need a Darwin award since I tried that stick two different times and had the same result both times. That thing spit me out so fast I didn't know what had hit me. It really likes to be on edge constantly.