Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fiberglass Floor Option, And Mxz Floor

WackBag

I'm anxious to see the new MXZ at the boat show later this month. A buddy of mine and I were talking about the full fiberglass floor option on the other Wakesetter models. Were considering going in on either a VLX or an MXZ which is a whole other topic. I know the MXZ's top deck was designed with the floor. I probably wont think about this at the boat show with my big ole google eyes on, but do these floors have a drain that runs out the back of the boat, like an MB or Mastercraft, or do they drain into the bilge? It's somewhat important considering we will be leaving the boat in the water. Would like to keep cleaning simple and just spray out the floor with a garden hose as needed. Any input is much appreciated- Thanks!

I am not sure about the drain in the floor, however the MXZ is going to be an easier to boat to keep clean. The seat bases in the other boats with the fibergalss floor are all carpeted including under the seats. I am always cleaning out the crap that builds up in the carpet between the seats and under the cupholders. The MXZ is all Fiberglass. Much easier to keep clean however I still prefer the coziness of the carpet but I don't keep my boat in the water...

I am not sure about the drain in the floor, however the MXZ is going to be an easier to boat to keep clean. The seat bases in the other boats with the fibergalss floor are all carpeted including under the seats. I am always cleaning out the crap that builds up in the carpet between the seats and under the cupholders. The MXZ is all Fiberglass. Much easier to keep clean however I still prefer the coziness of the carpet but I don't keep my boat in the water...

Yeah I was aware that the option on the VLX was just like a insert for the lack of a better word, and the MXZ was all fiberglass or 1 piece. Ive always had carpet, but been in several boats with the fiberglass floor and I prefer it. We just ride every minute were out and when your switching riders so much the carpet just gets soaked. It doesn't take long to start smelling funky. I don't think we'd even put the snap in carpet in the boat. Still curious about the drain though if anyone knows.

I do not believe there is a drain. But the access to the gas tanks funnels a lot of water away pretty quick.

Ryan, actually starting in 2011 you were able to order the removable carpet which eliminates the carpet under the seats and in the storage compartments. But it still gives you the nice finished feeling you get in the fully carpeted boats. I loved being able to lift the carpet out and give it a good cleaning. Having a boat full of kids and teenagers, you tend to get a lot of crap dropped on the floor. Also a big plus is not having carpet in the V-drive compartments to dry out.

Edited by Malibuzer

Are you sure you aren't mistaken because I believe the floor drains in the MC and MB drain to bilge as well.

I spray my boat out with water hose with no problem. I keep mine on trailer so it drains out the back of hull, but if it drains to bilge the bilge will pump it out. No problems.

There are two floor drains at the rear of the MXZ main cabin that drain into the bilge. Even though it is a full fiberglass cap they went back to carpet under the seats and passenger storage compartment. I would have preferred it left out, but at least the rear compartment floors still have no carpet. I ordered the new aqua fusion mat, which has a good feel and not absorb water like the carpet.

Not a great pic, but you can see the floor drain.

PB300005.jpg

Edited by thtrog

Are you sure you aren't mistaken because I believe the floor drains in the MC and MB drain to bilge as well.

I spray my boat out with water hose with no problem. I keep mine on trailer so it drains out the back of hull, but if it drains to bilge the bilge will pump it out. No problems.

Older MC's drained into the bilge, but both the MB and MC's now drain out the back of the boat. It's not so much that I'm worried about water in the bilge, I would just prefer that other things (sand, crumbs, ect.) that end up on the floor find their way out of the boat and not stuck in cracks or in the bilge. Don't get me wrong it wouldn't be a deal breaker, I was just hoping that's how they were set up.

I do not believe there is a drain. But the access to the gas tanks funnels a lot of water away pretty quick.

Ryan, actually starting in 2011 you were able to order the removable carpet which eliminates the carpet under the seats and in the storage compartments. But it still gives you the nice finished feeling you get in the fully carpeted boats. I loved being able to lift the carpet out and give it a good cleaning. Having a boat full of kids and teenagers, you tend to get a lot of crap dropped on the floor. Also a big plus is not having carpet in the V-drive compartments to dry out.

Great points, we ordered ours without and LOVE it! One down side is things tend to slide around a lot under the seat not having the carpet.

It appears that the MXZ seats are supported by fiberglass unlike the LSV and assuming VLX which are supported by carpeted plastic. Having the fiberglass support would be more sturdy for those fat sacs :rockon:

My 2010 Vlx had snap out carpet, it became an option for the VTX in 2011, and yes there is not any carpet in any of the storage compartments. I was referring to the seat bases specifically. In the MXZ the base of the seats are all fiberglass from what I understand which is alot easier to keep clean. In every other boat with snap out carpet option the bases are still carpeted which gives the classy feel of a Malibu.

For those who are not sure what they are talking about, this is a picture of the drains from the floor of a 2007 Mastercraft X35 I test drove. Note the drains just below the swim platform. They come from the floor of the main cabin area. I think they would be awesome when you take a roller and have one of those Oh #$&*^% moments.

I do not think they have those on all models. I know the X35 has them, but you can imagine that the floor has to be higher than the swimstep or else water might go the other direction. I do not recall seeing check valves in them, but there might be. A slammed Xstar would have water going into the boat through those holes, and I imagine the ski boats do not have them for that reason either. My 2006 X45 had a regular drain into the bilge, but not sure on newer models. Sounds like an excuse to go to the boat show.

IMG_6513.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

For those who are not sure what they are talking about, this is a picture of the drains from the floor of a 2007 Mastercraft X35 I test drove. Note the drains just below the swim platform. They come from the floor of the main cabin area. I think they would be awesome when you take a roller and have one of those Oh #$&*^% moments.

I do not think they have those on all models. I know the X35 has them, but you can imagine that the floor has to be higher than the swimstep or else water might go the other direction. I do not recall seeing check valves in them, but there might be. A slammed Xstar would have water going into the boat through those holes, and I imagine the ski boats do not have them for that reason either. My 2006 X45 had a regular drain into the bilge, but not sure on newer models. Sounds like an excuse to go to the boat show.

IMG_6513.jpg

Yeah TallRedRider this is what I was talking about. I know for sure late model xstars have them the x25 has them, and probably a few other models. I think any Salt Series model has them added as well. I'm sure there are check valves in the lines because the xstar I occasionally ride in never has water backing out onto the floor. At any rate this was what I was hoping the MXZ had, but It doesnt appear to be the case. I'll check it out at the boat show next week.