Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Heads New Problem

smooth as glass

Hiya guys, Well after a month or so of on again off again work, got my baby back together, cleaned, painted and with new heads, plugs, Tstat, waterpump and hoses, impellar,exhaust hoses, and pressure tested exhaust manifolds. Finished adjusting valves and dropped the lift to fire her up. :cry: Fuel pump didn't cycle on, so no pressure to fuel rail to bleed off. So in following the wiring found the end of the wiring harness where there are 3, 15amp fuses, I didn't even know were there. Sure enough one in middle is blown. Assuming I did something during changes, I replaced and tried again. Fuse blows immediately. disconnected fuel pump, new fuse and again it blows, so THIS blows big time. Haven't had the time to persue a short yet. But thought i'd see if anyone knows about those 15 amp fuses and if a faulty fuel pump would short them out... even if fuel pump is not connected.?????????I'm sooooo close. Warmest winter ever and I'm missing glass I want to break! What ya think?

Edited by smooth as glass

Hiya guys, Well after a month or so of on again off again work, got my baby back together, cleaned, painted and with new heads, plugs, Tstat, waterpump and hoses, impellar,exhaust hoses, and pressure tested exhaust manifolds. Finished adjusting valves and dropped the lift to fire her up. :cry: Fuel pump didn't cycle on, so no pressure to fuel rail to bleed off. So in following the wiring found the end of the wiring harness where there are 3, 15amp fuses, I didn't even know were there. Sure enough one in middle is blown. Assuming I did something during changes, I replaced and tried again. Fuse blows immediately. disconnected fuel pump, new fuse and again it blows, so THIS blows big time. Haven't had the time to persue a short yet. But thought i'd see if anyone knows about those 15 amp fuses and if a faulty fuel pump would short them out... even if fuel pump is not connected.?????????I'm sooooo close. Warmest winter ever and I'm missing glass I want to break! What ya think?

I know this sounds simple, Did you accidentally pinch a wire somewhere during assembly. Had it happen on one of my engine swap for a hot rod...

I'll spill a little more info.

There's an easy way to find a dead short using a 12V light bulb. Something you'd find in a tail light in your car.

I agree with Pete, if the fuel pump is unplugged and the fuse still blows you must have a short between the load side of the fuse and ground somewhere. You could pull the fuse and read it with a meter (resistance between the load side contact of the fuse to a good ground). Should be totally open.

I spent 4 years in the Navy working on avionics equipment. We had one piece that came in that I still remember today. It was blowing fuses, even with all the subassemblies removed (Circuit boards, power supply etc.) it would blow the fuses. After three days of searching a few chafed wires were found that was causing all the problems. I am going with Wakesetter67 I would really be looking at a chafed/pinched wire. Start following the wire from the fuse all the way to the pump, it really doesn't take much to create a short. Check all of the connectors as well. Or you could just pull a new wire from the fuse to the fuel pump.

Good luck I know looking for these types of things sucks I was able to do it while sitting in a climate controlled shop well light and able to manitulate the problem device. Going to be really hard for you crawling around in the back and bildge of you boat.

REW

If it is indeed the fuel pump fuse that is blowing, there is a relay in that circuit too. It is turned on by the ECM. If the fuse is blowing immediately, the problem is before the relay. If fuse is blowing on key up, the problem is between the relay and fuel pump.