Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Slalom V Drive For Around $35K

wakesetter8796

Hey looking for a friend for the best possible slalom boat for $35k. It has to be a V drive though. Which boat do you think is best? Moomba outback v, sunscape 20/21 lsv, etc. Thanks

Slalom and vdrive are a little at odds with each other.

It can be done but not as well as a sport specific boat...

What's the goals? Space vs performance or make do with a multi sport platform?

So he will have a crew of 10 regularly?

With a large crew and a vdrive, he will be able to slalom but it wont be 'good'. IMO. The inherent design of a v-drive is to throw a shaped wake. Which is the opposite of his preferred sport...

I am not much help on the choices but I am sure you'll get some opinions pretty quick.

The 06-08 Outback V is actually pretty good at slalom speeds and around 15-22 off. I know a guy that runs it in the course when there aren't other slalom boats available (though of course isn't preferred), and it is plenty good for just recreational slalom. Those should be found for a good bit less than $35k. The hull was redesigned in 09; it's supposed to still slalom pretty well but I don't know specifically how it compares.

Malibu's cut diamond 20 footers (20 lsv, VTX) are supposed to be the best (no first hand experience but you can search here), though I don't know that they're in the $35k range yet.

20 foot sunscape. The slalom wake is great for a v-drive. We were very close to buying one when we were boat shopping. I still wish we bought one because of how much we barefoot and slalom.

We have a Sunscape 23 LSV with the diamond hull. If I can find a pic of the wake, I'll post it, but with 8 or so people in the boat, no wedge or ballast, the wake is fairly flat.

Many V drives ski quite well. One big thing that can make a V drive ski well is to go to a short line. They will not match a DD but for a fun day on the water and open skiing you can get what you are likely looking for. I ski a sunscape some and it is good at 35off and better at 38 off.

2001-2004 sunscape LSV or sunsetter VLX depending on year. All same 21 foot diamond hull. My dad has a 2004 sunscape and it skis well enough and can be surfed bone stock. In 2005 sunscape 21 got bigger. In 2007 vtx arrived but as you pointed out, none likely to be found for $35k.

I bought an '04 21 LSV to fit the exact criteria you're asking about. Keep the fuel low, don't add unnecessary passengers, add a bit of weight in the bow, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. The wake isn't holding me back, but I'm not an expert either. Should be able to pick one up for under $30k.

2001-2004 sunscape LSV or sunsetter VLX depending on year. All same 21 foot diamond hull. My dad has a 2004 sunscape and it skis well enough and can be surfed bone stock. In 2005 sunscape 21 got bigger. In 2007 vtx arrived but as you pointed out, none likely to be found for $35k.

2001 Sunsetter VLX is the only V-drive on the SV23 Diamond Hull, and was the last year for the SS VLX (all 02-06 Sunsetters are direct drives and was cancelled after 2006). Great ski wake above 28 MPH (below that, not so much), and can be had well below the 35k budget. Great wakeboard wake with the proper weight + wedge.

2001 Sunsetter VLX is the only V-drive on the SV23 Diamond Hull, and was the last year for the SS VLX (all 02-06 Sunsetters are direct drives and was cancelled after 2006). Great ski wake above 28 MPH (below that, not so much), and can be had well below the 35k budget. Great wakeboard wake with the proper weight + wedge.

Incorrect. sunscape lsv (21) (through 2004) is on the sv23 diamond hull as well.

Incorrect. sunscape lsv (21) (through 2004) is on the sv23 diamond hull as well.

Looks like you are right. I thought it was on the V25/27 hull like the larger boats, but looks like it replaced the Sunsetter VLX for 02-04 (doesn't seem to be a 21' Sunscape in 2001). Guess that boat is another option as well. :)

Yes, 02'-04' Sunscapes are on the SV23 diamond hull. I also have the Illusion tower and am finishing up my fully plumbed ballast system for under $1k. It was a perfect choice for me because I also couldn't pull the trigger on $55-$60k at the time for a new VTX or Sunscape, with the new cut diamond hull.

Wow, that just might be the perfect setup! Where did you get the illusion tower though?

It came with the boat. I don't know if it was added later or not.

If he can't find one with a tower, I think there are a lot of options for aftermarket that fit that boat.

Check Houston Craigs list for an 04 Sunscape. I was going to look at this boat but ran out of time. Ended up purchasing a 04 wakesetter. The sunscape is a one owner with 220 hours and a titan 3 tower that looks great but he wants a lot of money.

i have a 2000 23 lsv diamond and the wake is really nice at 32-36....really nice. sure its not a response but with the room, storage and versatility its well worth the tradeoff. I have a titan 1 and i love the boat...love it.

throw about 800-1000lbs of ballast in the boat and you have a nice intermediate wake for waking. You should be able to get a boat like mine for low 20's. i feel like the 23's have a good bit more room than the 21's but both are really nice.