Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New surf rope

Brad B

Been using a piece of that fat tube rope for a few years with much success.

Now have added a Straightline dog leash for a handle - thanks Ken W.

post-26-1137965467_thumb.jpg

Thanks to BradB for sending me the length of rope my new surf rope looks just about the same as his. Used it the weekend before last and it works great just what we had been looking for. The nice thing is that there is no way for your foot to go throught the handle and it would be hard to put your hand throught it, a lot safer than a full sized handle.

Edited by RiverRunner

Isn't it hard to get up with the little handle though? Have you tried a beginner out on the little handle?

I had a heck of a time getting up with a fat rope. Thrashed my hands (yes, I have woosie hands). The large handle is so easy for beginners... But from skicrave's accident and all the horror stories, I'd like to switch to something different.

Isn't it hard to get up with the little handle though? Have you tried a beginner out on the little handle?

I had a heck of a time getting up with a fat rope. Thrashed my hands (yes, I have woosie hands). The large handle is so easy for beginners... But from skicrave's accident and all the horror stories, I'd like to switch to something different.

No have not tried it with a newbie, I still plan to carry a small ski handle to switch out with when teaching someone. The handle is about as wide as my hand, I wrap my hand around the handle and wrap my other hand around the first hand, didn't have any problem getting up, a lot easier than using just a big rope.

I won't go back to a big handle, even for beginners. I've read about too many people that have had arms & legs go through a large handle & drag the rider, so I cut up an old double handle ski rope. Not as cool looking as RiverRunner's, but it works. It does take some getting used to with a smaller handle, but it's not too bad.

DSC00139.jpg

I used this rope all last yr. Its probably a little harder to get up on at first, I just wrap one hand on top of the other. The best part..... it's pretty much eliminates the worry of getting your hand or arm stuck in it Biggrin.gif

I won't go back to a big handle, even for beginners. I've read about too many people that have had arms & legs go through a large handle & drag the rider, so I cut up an old double handle ski rope. Not as cool looking as RiverRunner's, but it works. It does take some getting used to with a smaller handle, but it's not too bad.

Thats funny Tracy, growing up my dad thought the ol' double handle rope was the best thing sliced bread.

Last time I went home, I spent 2hrs looking around my parents house trying to find one so I could do the same.

The dog leash works great and only cost around $12 - $13 :)

We used a small handle/surf rope all last summer and I pulled several newbies w/o a problem. Definitely think the safety issue makes the small handle the way to go.

I've got the liquidforce wakesurf rope, I love it. It is its own rope, and has sections, so you dont need to tie knots, or change handles. the handle is a T handle, with just enough room to get your hands on either end. Then the rope has a thick braid in it.

After reading this thread, we picked up a $12 Dog Leash at the LA Boat Show. Should work like a charm!

Thanks again to the Crew to give good advice ... and keep us from hurting ourselves with the old big handle!

:unsure:

BradB sent me a good rope the only problem is that it is a little short. I had an old wakeboard rope that we don't use anymore so to the knife it went, actually one cut that I can splice back together later if needed. Using it and the dog leash that I picked up at the boat show I put together our new surf rope with an alternative handle (red handle with purple rope) for new people if needed.