Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spark Plug Part #

Okay, that brings up a question I've had for years. Does the spark plug gap follow the plug or the engine?

In other words will the plug above have that gap no matter what engine it's in ?

Steve B.

Typically gap goes with the engine calibration. But OEM's typically don't use spark plugs other than the ones they spec for an engine. They set gap based on several factors, emissions compliance being one of them. When you start to switch brands or electrode type you run into different material resistances and such which will require differnt gaping accordingly. Typical rule of the thumb: The larger the gap the better, but some ignition systems will not throw a healthy enough spark to keep it from being blown out by combustion chamber pressures. More spark equals better flame propagation. Hopefully if you choose to run non OEM plugs someone has done the math for you and calculated optimimum gap for their plugs on a stock ignition system, but most commonly they just roll with the factory gap specs.

Okay, that brings up a question I've had for years. Does the spark plug gap follow the plug or the engine?

In other words will the plug above have that gap no matter what engine it's in ?

Steve B.

I heard it was Both, depends on the application, And the plug, Different engines require diffident heat rage of Plugs and gap. Thats why I have to switch mine out this spring, heard it was two Cold, For My Engine 320 LCR Plug Gap .45 Just Like Bobby Or Mr Light states, Again that what was explained to me, Compression also plays apart, . I always thought .45 was for most applications in general.