Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jet Ski + Extreme

Debt Setter

I have a 550 jet ski that I rarely get to use anymore. When I tow, I tow the boat, the ski is currently on my Dads trailer and unless he goes, the ski does not. I was thinking of adding it to my Extreme trailer somehow. Maybe a swing away gate over the swin step, a welded rack up front? I am just thinking of options... I know you all hate ski's and will probably tell me that it is best used for an anchor but thought I would give it a shot. :innocent:

I've seen a few swing arm type set ups out there, one was a slide pole so the ski sat behind the boat on the trailer sideways parallel to the transom. But to get the boat out you had to lift the arm and ski bunks off the back of the trailer. Big pita.

I've seen an extreme trailer that had triple axles and 3 jetskis mount up front with a VLX behind it.

Years ago there was a guy around here locally that had a ski nautique with a Kawasaki 650 attached to the side of the trailer. I never looked at it too closely, but the sat on two bunks that were on an arm sticking about 6" out from the front of the trailer. Think about where most people attach their spare tire, this is where the ski was.

I had a 440 mounted to our trailer along the frame under the bow on the driver(truck) side of our boat. Worked great, just dont cut too sharp. Launch the boat, then just back up a bit more and shove the ski off. It was on a 17' mark twain. I dont think our response has enough clearance. I'll try to find a pic.

Theres a number of pics of various kinds if you Google terms like "custom ski boat trailer jetski". Might be a cool idea for the guy who wants to bring it all to the lake in one trip.

boat21.jpg

300T616CB%20for%201998%20Baja%20290%20with%20jet%20ski%282%29.jpg

Or like hatchie described above, mount a jetski carrier like this on the front of the trailer somehow.

Jet%20Ski%20Carrier-04.jpg

If the receiver was on the trailer, there are a number of possibilities you could use it for..... carrying bicycles, coolers, extra gear, Grannies' rockin chair, etc.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I have a 550 jet ski that I rarely get to use anymore. When I tow, I tow the boat, the ski is currently on my Dads trailer and unless he goes, the ski does not. I was thinking of adding it to my Extreme trailer somehow. Maybe a swing away gate over the swin step, a welded rack up front? I am just thinking of options... I know you all hate ski's and will probably tell me that it is best used for an anchor but thought I would give it a shot. :innocent:

I have been window shopping for a 550/650 stand up from the mid 80s - always loved them. How much do they weigh? Can two adults pick one up or are they too heavy?

I have been window shopping for a 550/650 stand up from the mid 80s - always loved them. How much do they weigh? Can two adults pick one up or are they too heavy?

I'd recommend modifying that search to 550 and 750. The 650 did not handle nearly as well as the other two. Wider hull, sluggish ride, and quite a bit heavier than a 550.

Yes, two in shape guys can lift a stand up, but I wouldn't want to carry it very far.

We used to have a 550 and a 750 on a trailer and our friend had a 650 in the bed of his pickup. Back the truck to the waterline (without the trailer) and lift the ski into the bed with one guy on each side. On good days we'd have all three of us to lift with the third at the back pushing the ski forward. Just be sure not to use all of your energy riding so you have the strength left to load up.

300s/440s...skip them....

550s weigh the least -same for FX-1 - 750 motor in a 550 hull, this is what I ride, or actually swim after a lot : ) - 230ish lbs...

650s next - 250ish

current 750s/800s the most - 260-300lbs IIRC

wet, on sand, or at the end of the day - they all weigh at least twice as much : )

if you're really looking for something, the 96 and up superjet is the most sought after - also known as round nose..

96'-99s can be had for 1800-3k in decent shape. 95 and older, squarenose can be had for 750 to 1300ish...

the 650s stock were slow but very stable and easy to ride, or let someone learn on...

takes two pretty healthy, determined guys to carry it more than a few feet

they are a TON of fun, well worth the few K if you get a 750....

Mine is a 91 550, I don't think that there is a stock part left on it anymore. It has way more power than I will ever use, when you peg it, you better be holding on! I wouldn't say that it is the easiest thing to lift around but I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in the back of a truck and go with a buddy either.

As previous people have said, stay away from the 650.

You can get a 550 for around a grand, a little TLC, good hands and I would say $500 - $1000 and some time on EBay, you would have a ski that would perform as well as a 750 IMHO and be lighter.

This is similar to my Ski without as many hop ups...

http://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/2797106865.html

Good updates on the skis...and I apologize for the hijack! The question regarding weight and lifting was in regards to whether I could put one on the swim platform of the Bu when trailering to and from the lake. If they are that heavy, probably a bad idea.

-- Mike

Good updates on the skis...and I apologize for the hijack! The question regarding weight and lifting was in regards to whether I could put one on the swim platform of the Bu when trailering to and from the lake. If they are that heavy, probably a bad idea.

-- Mike

What about adding two 2" receivers to the trailer, one on either side of the prop guard. Then build a removable jetski rack that places the jetski behind the boat & sorta under the swimstep.

Wonder how much a 250 lb jetski placed there would change the tongue weight?

What about adding two 2" receivers to the trailer, one on either side of the prop guard. Then build a removable jetski rack that places the jetski behind the boat & sorta under the swimstep.

A little confused on the idea, but I think the tongue weight wouldn't be altered too bad.

As far as on the swim step goes... I thought about that and my reservation is the ski bouncing on the swim step down the road. I know the swim step would hold it as we have three or four people hanging out on it at any one time on the lake. But a ski tied to it in a towing situation is a completely different scenereo. I would chance it, I was more thinking about welding something to the front of the trailer, was concerned about the weight on one side vs evenly distributed. I don't like the extended tongue either... That looks scary! I am at a loss... And is why I came to the crew! :clap:

I think you might be right about the weight being unevenly distributed if the jetski rack was in the front on one side. Plus it would add to the tongue weight too.

I tried using mad MSPaint skillz like Ndawg has to show a pair of receivers on the back of the trailer. :crazy:

Looks to me like it would require removing the swimstep to to haul the boat & jetski. Then you'd have to launch the jetski, remove the rack, add the swimstep, then launch the boat. :Doh:

post-821-0-64882900-1326947655_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

That would be the best location, IMO. Up near the tounge would add too much tounge weight. Too bad I sold my old trailer, would have been fun to weld it up trying some options.

-- Mike

That would be the best location, IMO. Up near the tounge would add too much tounge weight. Too bad I sold my old trailer, would have been fun to weld it up trying some options.

-- Mike

I would really like to see how much it effected toungue weight. (sure someone will chime in here with the weight of the ski) I have read on here about people putting multiple gas cans on the swim step and traveling with them... Not saying that on the swim step is a good idea, just saying about weight and where it is placed.

Yea, I've hauled bins of firewood, camp boxes & coolers of beer/ice on the swimstep numerous times.... on the water & on the trailer. Never had any issues. But I'm pretty sure we never loaded more than like 100 -120 lbs either. Someone posted earlier in this thread that jetskis range in weight starting at 230 lbs. Thats a little more than I'd be comfortable with. Steel receivers would be way sturdier than the swimstep brackets in the fiberglass transom.

Debtsetter - what are you towing with?

I ask because a buddy of mine has an older Nissan SUV. He bought a cheap little plow that attaches to the front, via a 2" receiver to keep his driveway clean. I think he got it at Home Depot or something. The receiver is a bolt-on application, not sure how it attaches, haven't crawled under there. But I think the front of your vehicle might be the easiest option. Not sure if this is his, but it's something like this.

As a FYI to everyone standup jet skis will range from the 200 lb end for a Kawasaki 440/500 to over 300 for a superset and closing in on 400 lbs for a sxr. Most skis can be lifted fairly easily with 2 people (stronger ones anyway). So you don't need to float them on and off (Kawasaki 750/sxr) can be a pain to carry.

I've never seen one mounted in a boat trailer but I'd imagine either the tongue area ( if it's long) or right behind the trailer would work out.