Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2Nd Surf Board Build

cowwboy

Figured I'd post some of my current progress on my second board.

This one is going much faster but not as rushed at building it as I'm fighting decent enough weather for the resin to set.

Here is the shape roughed out and the convex and concave shaped in.

It has a convex right at the front after the nose rocker then goes into a concave and out flat with very little tail rocker.

I'm hoping for this to be a faster easier to ride beginner / fat boy board.

d6670285.jpg

Hand routed futures fin boxes.

It's much easier then you'd think.

6a238456.jpg

I made the board a little to thin. So i'll have to reinforce that area as you can see through some of it.

ee6214ed.jpg

Gotta be real careful around these dang things. I tossed a jacket out of the boat when checking out my battery project and it hit the board breaking off a ear.

6f73e54b.jpg

Put a thin layer of resin in the box cut outs so the resin doesn't bleed through when I install the fin boxes.

Also a little resin and tape should fix the poor broken ear.

9f79b47f.jpg

Here are some pictures of my first build.

Started with two 1.5in insulation foam glued together with gorilla glue and a wood stringer.

Not my best work.

298786_10150367487758245_764463244_9788876_1331583420_n.jpg

The gf laughing at me making it snow when it's 100+ outside.

289699_593320171239_177804687_32175329_169222639_o.jpg

Rough shape on top of my lf custom 4'10

339810_10150379221823245_764463244_9868025_608863680_o.jpg

Before glass with the fin boxes installed.

175746_10150401881178245_764463244_9997706_1607613168_o.jpg

Ready to be glassed.

321026_10150402063208245_764463244_9999106_1347353027_n.jpg

Bottom done

289364_10150402256848245_764463244_10000977_811812057_o.jpg

After it's first lake test bout to go out for the last trip of the year.

326845_10150418191428245_764463244_10093105_335464434_o.jpg

Epoxy and 6oz Eglass.

I used west system epoxy this time but may change next time.

Been looking at resin research and us composites.

The surf world is so nice when it comes to the big guys helping a garage wanna be out.

Cowboy- if you like to surf, we oughta meet up in the spring...I boat at Lawtonka, lots of wakeboarders here...as surfing is just starting to catch on. I am big into surfing, have a huge surf setup.

Wow didn't even know about that lake. I ride Arcadia a lot and spend the holidays at eufaula or Texoma.

There are a few buddies that are big into surfing in Edmond.

We will need to meet up this summer. Or brave it and run on sooner lake( has two coal units on it) so it stays warmer year round.

My first board had a lot of grip fairly fast but I quickly figured out my imperfections.

Like the right side is slightly thicker then the left and the left is a little more rounded then the right.

It's suprising how much more you notice when your standing on it.

But I am very very pleased with my creations.

It's suprising how easy it really is to build one.

Now building one to look as pretty as a manufactured board is a bit different.

My first board had a lot of grip fairly fast but I quickly figured out my imperfections.

Like the right side is slightly thicker then the left and the left is a little more rounded then the right.

I can only imagine.

Awesome work. I love seeing projects like this. Thumbup.gif It's gotta be pretty cool surfing a board you made by hand. Rockon.gif

Really great work! I second the words of everyone else Biggrin.gif

I will run blanks after this but for my first test $20 in home depot foam that will most likely build 3 boards was better then paying $100 for one blank.

• 2 weeks later...

cool. i wonder how big of a board you'd need to hang 10 or do super low cheater 5s. generally in the ocean, you need somethgin around 9-10', but i'm sure it might be different here.

I think it'd be fun to build a 10' board and try it behind a boat.

How do the longer boards ride?

The longest I've rode was 6' but has a lot of tail and nose rocker so it is kind of slow.

I think it'd be fun to build a 10' board and try it behind a boat.

How do the longer boards ride?

The longest I've rode was 6' but has a lot of tail and nose rocker so it is kind of slow.

a 10' wouldn't be necessary, most people get along just fine with a 9'6" in the ocean and i think an 8'6" should suffice behind a boat. the rocker on noseriders is very mellow, and the rails are almost always 50/50, or damned close. nr's are also generally glassed heavier, and the nose is scooped out underneath. the single-fin is big and meaty.

surf shops are probably pretty hard to come-by in your neck of the woods, but i'd do some internet sleuthing and try and get some dimensions and specs.

here are some classic and new noserider shapes:

basic, classic, and hard to beat

http://www.bingsurf.com/surfboards_noserider

new and proven designs

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1017311

http://trimsurfboards.blogspot.com/2008/04/bing_5450.html

Ya, good ole oklahoma isn't known for our surf industry.

This dang weather is kind of killing me right now. I can't glass since I haven't gotten a decent day when I'm off.

It's guarneteed to be nice and in the 60's when I work and my days off are always cold or I have something else that takes priority.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got the hot coat on both sides and sanded down one side.

Had a dang moth fly into the hot coat after I turned the fans on and turned off the lights. Ugh!

630f563b.jpg

618bd512.jpg

Now hopefully the boats new vinyl will be done in time for me to test it out this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I gave it to much toe in on the fins and it is definitely a board for big guys.

My GF tried it but wasn't fond of how big it was to handle.

Will try tomorrow with a buddy who's bigger then me.

Dang, buddy got to rough and broke it today.

Guess 1//2 in thick and one layer on top two on botom and a 220lb guy trying to jump didn't end very well.