Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Z5 Bimini/rack On G3 - 2012 Atlanta Boat Show

tideride

Saw this at the Atlanta Boat Show on Sat. Z5 Performance Sport Rack on a 2012 Malibu Illusion G3 Tower. Was told it would fit all G3 but VTX. No Pricing Info shared, though I suspect EXPENSIVE! Looked good though.

2012-01-16_2150.png

we find that we have a lot of cooler days where we don't run the bimini and just go with hats and sunscreen. The z5, as cool as it is, looks like it would be a MAJOR PITA to remove. Which would mean for me that we'd leave it on and I'd be hearing about it from my wife all day how cold she is...

I love the concept and the extra storage, but I think I'd end up regretting one. I do like the idea of a simple above-the-tower surfboard rack though.

This guy seems to be on the right track:

rack3web.jpg

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifields/viewlisting.php?view=2327

Saw this at the Atlanta Boat Show on Sat. Z5 Performance Sport Rack on a 2012 Malibu Illusion G3 Tower. Was told it would fit all G3 but VTX. No Pricing Info shared, though I suspect EXPENSIVE! Looked good though.

2012-01-16_2150.png

I had the Z-5 on my Supra, they are nice... only complaint I had was they are not really stowable, create a draft when towing, and they are a pain in the butt to move around in the garage. Especially if you need to stow your tower to fit in the garage, I had to take it off every time. You can remove the sunbrella material on the water, but its not an easy process to put it back on. Great for carrying extra gear.... comparing to the G3 Tower with quad board racks, I prefer the quad board racks and stowable bimini I can fold up on the tower in a couple minutes. With the quad board racks you can get just about the same amount of gear stowed out of the boat as with a Z-5, although the Z-5 does allow kneeboards to be easily put on the rack which the quad board racks will not fit. The G3 Bimin is also larger and covers more of the boat than the Z-5 did.

And the price from the dealer was $1800+ for the Supra, not sure what they will be for the G3, cant imagine any cheaper.

Edited by Fman

Honestly I think having surf pockets sewed into the regualr bimini makes more sense. The z 5 takes up a ton of room, it's a pain on a full boat, you have to take the cover when towing long distances to avoid it being a sail while towaing and getting tore up, and it's ungodly expensive. I got quoted $300 to add vinyl lined surf pockets to my bimini.

Is it me or does it look like the upright supports for that thing would interfere with the rope if you go wide on a trick?

I asked about it when I was ordering my new LSV, I was basically talked out of it due to cost. It was over $2500! I'll use a bungee and my existing bimini before spending that kind of money just to carry another board we may or may not use.

Very cool. he's local to me, I'm going to look into that, and if there is any way his system would work with the Illusion.

I don't think that system will work with an over-the-top bimini like the illusion tower has. I used to strap two boards to the top of my illusion with a $35 pair of thule surf straps on each board. Two surf boards provide nearly the shade of a stock illusion bimini. The straps were fine for towing too... I trailered about 1000 miles like this last summer with a board or two on top. In fact we mostly used that setup to tow, because boards on top like that interfered with the tow ball a bit (as does pretty much everything hanging on the illusion tower).

P1060198.JPG

thule_express_surf_strap_531.jpg

pixel.gif

Edited by shawndoggy

Lots of guys around here have straps sewn onto the tops of their Bimini tops to stuff surfboards, wakeboards, or whatever else you can fit. This is effectively the same thing, however not near the load rating and not 1/1000 of the price. But hey I wouldn't be towing with my bimini up or anything stowed on it anyways, Z5 rack or not. I'm just crazy like that though :whistle: .

I don't think that system will work with an over-the-top bimini like the illusion tower has. I used to strap two boards to the top of my illusion with a $35 pair of thule surf straps on each board. Two surf boards provide nearly the shade of a stock illusion bimini. The straps were fine for towing too... I trailered about 1000 miles like this last summer with a board or two on top. In fact we mostly used that setup to tow, because boards on top like that interfered with the tow ball a bit (as does pretty much everything hanging on the illusion tower).

P1060198.JPG

thule_express_surf_strap_531.jpg

pixel.gif

You actually tow like that?

People have been strapping surfboards to car roof racks for over 50 years. Tows just fine.

Yeah just look at the Beach Boys!!

I'd be intersted in seeing some close up pics of how people are strapping the surf boards to the bimini.

Edited by Murphy8166

People have been strapping surfboards to car roof racks for over 50 years. Tows just fine.

Just don't go buying any fiberglass wakesurboards and trying that, just saying.

Bobby Light/Bright :biggrin: Can you dig up a little more info about how your straps were attached to the existing bimini? We always have at least 2 kneeboards in the boat and they are a pain in the rear! I actually thought about running Shawndoggys set up and forget about the bimini.

They are sewn into the top and have plastic adjustable buckles (like transom area of evolution cover) that secure the stuff up there. There is no issue running the lake with the bimini loaded up with boards like you see in the pic. I haven't done it to my boat yet, working with somone to do some custom stuff to a G3 bimini but will have something very similar to this.

They are sewn into the top and have plastic adjustable buckles (like transom area of evolution cover) that secure the stuff up there. There is no issue running the lake with the bimini loaded up with boards like you see in the pic. I haven't done it to my boat yet, working with somone to do some custom stuff to a G3 bimini but will have something very similar to this.

That's exactly what I would like to do. Let me know how you make out. It would be nice to get them off of the floor. I have sat them on the bimini and forgot about them until one flew off while we were headed down the lake!

That's exactly what I would like to do. Let me know how you make out. It would be nice to get them off of the floor. I have sat them on the bimini and forgot about them until one flew off while we were headed down the lake!

Do you have a bimini on your new boat? If so it's as simple as getting the straps sewn in where you want them.

Just don't go buying any fiberglass wakesurboards and trying that, just saying.

The one in the pic is glass. In your experience is there something specific about the glass wakesurfers that would make them more problematic than an ocean surfboard for rooftop towing?

I will double check the order sheet. I'm fairly sure its on there. Any issues with the boards rubbing on the sunbrealla?

Not that I saw but they are always traction side down so they really don't move. I need to clarrify that they have to be secured really well if running the lake at higher speeds. Securing the loop behind the fins helps alot. Hopefully Mr Bright will chime in, since he's done it on his boat. My experience with it has been in his boat anyways.

I did indeed have that done and it works great. We stack multiple boards in there at times and just cinch them down. We are lucky to have a kick aess canvas shop local in Bentley's Manufacturing. What we had done was this: two sections of 5/16 black bungee strap sewn into the front of the bimini to essentially create two pockets to slide the tips of the boards under. Then in the rear two sections of nylon webbing was sewn in with adjustable buckles. Slide the tips under the bungies, cinch down the rear straps making sure the strap in behind the fins. I do always put the boards traction down, even when stacking multiples. I have found several other uses for the straps also. makes a good spot to hold my donkey balls when I dont feel like deflating also. I just hook them through the straps and click the strap together. Really a simple mod and I think it cost me under a Benji to have it done.