Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Piggy Back And The Malivue Total Control

CJAY

Does anyone have any exp with this? My question is does the total control turn off the pumps before you can get the piggy back bags filled, are you able to set the profiles with it. I currently have an 07 that I'm running piggy back 750s, thinking about buying a 2012 and want to know how total control impacts the piggy back system.

The ballast indicator is in the stock tank so it will shut off before the 750 is full. You can still turn a ballast pump on when the tank is full on the 2012 right?

I'm not too sure. I hope so, piggy back can be set up to fill the tank then fill the bag, or fill the tank through the bags, whihc is how I have it set up now, but i'd prefer for the pump to fill the tank then over flow to the bag. It'd suck if you couldn't turn the pump back on to fill the bag.

I'm not too sure. I hope so, piggy back can be set up to fill the tank then fill the bag, or fill the tank through the bags, whihc is how I have it set up now, but i'd prefer for the pump to fill the tank then over flow to the bag. It'd suck if you couldn't turn the pump back on to fill the bag.

I'm sure you can, I'd fill the stock tank first also.

Wakemakers instructions are to go from bag to tank, but it causes my wieght to be off. Some water stays in the bags and it takes forever to fill the tank if you just want tank no bag. you have to fill stop, wait for the water to move down to the tank and check the meter, then start back up. Another question is has wakemakers put out new piggy back systems for the larger flow systems on the 2012?

Emailed wakemakers last week. They promptly replied and said that there will be a new piggy back system for 2012 Malibus available on their website within a few weeks.

You can still manually control the ballast pumps on the 2012 with the MTC. From experience, unless you run everything full every time I would Not recommend doing this. It did get the job done for us because were always wakeboarding, forget doing a side swap on the water for surfing if you piggyback. We would empty ours on the lake, on the ramp, and again after a 30 minute drive home. When we hit the water this spring the boat will have independent ballast puppys for the rear sacs. Of cousre there are other ways to do it...

Edit - if you were happy with the piggyback before go for it, but forget the Maliview working for the rear tanks.

Edited by thtrog

AS long as you can manually work the ballast it will work fine. I figure you auto fill it till the tanks are full, let it stop itself, then manually fill the bags to the point you want. Not much different than what I have now other than having to manually stop it at all times. Usually only run the bags half full, full tanks, when wakeboarding, then run one side bag and tank full when surfing.

Emailed wakemakers last week. They promptly replied and said that there will be a new piggy back system for 2012 Malibus available on their website within a few weeks.

I think its because 2012's made late 2011 and on will have 1" lines. Thats the only change. You can control the pump via your touch screen and simply shut off when full. The thing I find interesting about the 1" lines is Malibu is still using a 3/4 thru hull!!

Edited by old skool malibu

You can still manually control the ballast pumps on the 2012 with the MTC. From experience, unless you run everything full every time I would Not recommend doing this. It did get the job done for us because were always wakeboarding, forget doing a side swap on the water for surfing if you piggyback. We would empty ours on the lake, on the ramp, and again after a 30 minute drive home. When we hit the water this spring the boat will have independent ballast puppys for the rear sacs. Of cousre there are other ways to do it...

Edit - if you were happy with the piggyback before go for it, but forget the Maliview working for the rear tanks.

Yup going with 3 ballast puppies for my 2012! I will have connections for exta bags above the cup holders in the rear as well as in the bow!

In response to one of the original questions.... at least on my 2011.... no the Malivue or MTC does NOT auto shutoff when the tanks get full. Those pumps will run forever... either filling or draining, till you hit the screen again and cut them off. When filling it, it will just fill full and then keep peeing out the side of the boat overflow. when draining, it'll just keep running and you wont notice will you cut the engine off and you hear a pump still going.

So if what you are getting at is if you plan to overfill into a bag after your tank is full, then yes, that'll work. But you have some of the other draining problems folks have had listed above.

The easiest, cleanest and most reliable/efficient add on plan I have seen is where Fman (I think?)pumbled a reversible Johnson pump directly to each bag. Each drilled into the bottom hull near the factory ballast pumps. Fills and drains thru that same hole in the bottom hull. I certainly would add an overflow though just in case it got left on.

In response to one of the original questions.... at least on my 2011.... no the Malivue or MTC does NOT auto shutoff when the tanks get full. Those pumps will run forever... either filling or draining, till you hit the screen again and cut them off. When filling it, it will just fill full and then keep peeing out the side of the boat overflow. when draining, it'll just keep running and you wont notice will you cut the engine off and you hear a pump still going.

So if what you are getting at is if you plan to overfill into a bag after your tank is full, then yes, that'll work. But you have some of the other draining problems folks have had listed above.

The easiest, cleanest and most reliable/efficient add on plan I have seen is where Fman (I think?)pumbled a reversible Johnson pump directly to each bag. Each drilled into the bottom hull near the factory ballast pumps. Fills and drains thru that same hole in the bottom hull. I certainly would add an overflow though just in case it got left on.

Your pumps should shut auto off filling when using presets and also draining, so you might want to get that checked. Reversible pumps are what Old School and I referred to, completely independent of the factory system.

I'm pretty experinced with the drain problems of the piggy back system, while they can be a pain, not too sure I want to add pumps at this point. How do you guys deal wiht venting and over flow with a reversable pump?

I don't vent or overflow on my system with the Johnson pumps. The pumps fill the bags and empty the bags through the same lines. Those single lines are the only lines to the bags. The downside is you have to visually see if the bags are full or empty. Very little to give up with the speed of these pumps vs filling one sac and draining it into the tank out of one pump. Normally we are moving around the boat getting it ready to surf and getting riders and boards in place so it's not an issue to look at the bags.

I don't vent or overflow on my system with the Johnson pumps. The pumps fill the bags and empty the bags through the same lines. Those single lines are the only lines to the bags. The downside is you have to visually see if the bags are full or empty. Very little to give up with the speed of these pumps vs filling one sac and draining it into the tank out of one pump. Normally we are moving around the boat getting it ready to surf and getting riders and boards in place so it's not an issue to look at the bags.

You could take the vent hose that comes with the piggy back system and add it in if you'd like to be able to vent, it just allows two things to vent at the same time.

Sounds like a lot of work that only really fixes a few small issues wiht the piggy back. I honetly havne;t had many draining issues. For the most par t I cut off the pumps, wait a few minutes, then restart them back up and the bags typically drain almost all the way. We usually take the bags out each Sunday night and store them, so they get completely drained then.

Do you not ever worry about someone leaving the pumps on and really stressing the fat sack?

Do you not ever worry about someone leaving the pumps on and really stressing the fat sack?

That and you always have air in there whihc doesn't allow you to get the full weight filled with water.

No, I don't worry about that. I installed the switches in the rear of the storage area under the corner seat. You have to go there to turn them on and off. That's the only reason you go there since the bag fills the rest of the space. These pumps are a little louder than the factory pumps too.

Thanks for the answer Ronnie. I like the idea of just having the switches in the back storage compartment. Ever had someone turn them on while getting gear out of the compartment? We are trying to figure out what to do with my new boats ballast as well. I ran the piggyback on my last two boats and it has been ok. But this sounds like a little easier solution.

Thanks for the replies

Ronnie, but in the event you did leave those on till overfill you likely would be breaking fatsacs or fiberglass correct?

both of my surfbags well exceeds the size of the comparement... do you think plumbing in an overflow would affect the fill or drain setup you have? or would it introduce air or other problems?

The switches are mounted on the wall between the port corner seat and the V-Drive area. The area there is a little offset from the rest of the port seating area. I run one 1100 sac in the port locker and a 600 sac under the port seating area. The only thing in the offset area is the switches on the wall and the bit of 600 sac that fills that area when it's full. There is no other reason to access that area as nothing is stored there.

Ronnie, but in the event you did leave those on till overfill you likely would be breaking fatsacs or fiberglass correct?

both of my surfbags well exceeds the size of the comparement... do you think plumbing in an overflow would affect the fill or drain setup you have? or would it introduce air or other problems?

Over flow won't introduce air, quite the opposite, it will allow the air to escape as the water takes its place, also helps with draining, while preventing the bag from over growing the space it it's in or busting at the seams. I would never plumb anything in with out a vent/overflow, you're just asking for problems if something is accidently left on.

I suppose you could hook anything you wanted to them and see, I haven't tried it. I expect it would work just like the overflow on your factory system. There are other boat companies that use these pumps from the factory. I think they use a timer on some of them to shut the pumps on & off, not sure how they vent them. You could add that timer as well. It takes 7-8 minutes to get the ballast to the levels we need. That would be easy to repeat every time you filled or drained. A vent could be added very easy if you feel you can't control the system without an overflow. I don't fill either bag all the way. If I did either the 1100 or the 600 would raise the locker or seat unless you keep the locker locked. There is very little air in the system with this setup. The bags fill to the capacity that we need and when we drain they drain flat to the floor. The bags have quick connects on them so I can take them out if needed. I rarely take them out since I don't get water on the carpet in those areas anymore. The factory Rep and I talked about ordering this boat without carpet in the storage areas like the snap out option except with the floor carpeted. I wanted this since my last boat always had wet carpet in the storage areas from throwing auxiliary ballast pumps over the side to fill sacs. The wet carpet is a non-issues anymore with this system or the piggyback.

Thanks for the answer Ronnie. I like the idea of just having the switches in the back storage compartment. Ever had someone turn them on while getting gear out of the compartment? We are trying to figure out what to do with my new boats ballast as well. I ran the piggyback on my last two boats and it has been ok. But this sounds like a little easier solution.

Thanks for the replies

Trent - talk to Gord..we have a pretty slick system for my new boat all cooked up!!