Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tandem Trailers

Had a friend tell me a horror story about his tandem trailer blowout ordeal. Got me to thinking as this is my first TA trailer under my VTX. If you have a blowout can you simply limp in nearby and get a new tire or do you have to put the spare on? (Story goes,he had a blowout,put spare on and then had another tire on same side blowout miles down the road,30mi away from next exit,he had major issues with the blown tire on rim dragging and burnt up the rim and caused bearing damage??? ) If you ran into that type of situation,what can you do to get it somewhere for tire replacement? Anything to hold up the axle so tire/rim would not get destoyed?? Obviously I would put my spare on,but got me thinking about what if something like that happened to me?

I lost both tires on the same side. Had to put tie spare on and chain up the other axle to get the fender to not bind on the other tire. Limped home, slowly. Don't want to do that again........

The GVWR of my T/A trailer is 6900 lbs. My RLXi weighs about 3000, so I could probably run on one wheel for a while. Removing the other, of course. If I had to remove the flat tire though, I would install the spare. Running the single wheel would apply if I had two failures.

I blew a tire on my trailer and by the time I realized it (by the smoke), the tire was trashed. My biggest problem however was my vehicle's jack couldn't lift the boat and trailer and I had to call AAA.

So what do you do with a TA trailer if you have only one good tire on one side? How or what do you do with the axle that has blown tire? Winch strap it up somehow? Take the entire rim / tire off till you can get new one and roll with one? What is best way to keep that axle up so opposite tire does not wear out fast ect?

I am always in a hurry to get to the lake.

I am so old that the next trip might be my last.

I do not want stinkin' crummy tires to hold me back.

If you upgrade your tires you get to drive by the other broken down guy on your way to the lake.

There is no substitute for oversize Load Range E tires. ( Need 16" to do this )

Or the next best thing which is oversize Load Range D tires.

Or the next best thing which is oversize Load Range C tires.

I inflate those High load range tires to their maximum sidewall capacity.

Kumho makes a Load Range D tire in a 14 inch with 2271 pound capacity

Four would be 9084 # .

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&partnum=0R4857

If you run those at 65 # inflation pressure and check them frequently you should have no trouble.

If you raise your fenders you can go to a 225 / 75 R15 D and get a 2540 pound rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Marathon+Radial&partnum=275R5MAR8V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs

Frankly, if you overkill on your tires you do not need a spare. I have been doing this for years, and I tow my boat at night at high speeds to the Delta / Shasta/ other.

Edited by DONTW8

I have load range C tires and also inflate and check them but,,, sometimes ya pick up stuff in roadways and evidentally thats what happened to the guy I mentioned earlier. There was an accident on his road and debris got into many tires that day to other vehichles as well,two of his tires in a few miles. I just want to know what to do if something like that happened to me. How do you get axle up/keep out of danger/causing more damage ect...?? Would like to be prepared as I already have super duty jack that will get trailer off ground enough to change tire,as long as ground/roadway hold up. Also carry small piece of 3/4" plywood to keep jack from sinking into roadway as thats happened to me before on hot pavement.

I have one of these trailer jacks in the truck. Their like $15 at Harbor Freight. Plus a lug wrench that specifically fits the trailer lugs.

1912_st.jpg

Then I have a length of chain with a removable link I can use to chain up the axle. And I could remove the tire & rim to increase clearance.

Then I'd drive slow, especially over the any bumps.

Also, there is a possibility that it would do better with the missing tire on the front, rather than the back, especially on a v-drive. So it might be good to move that tire. Might also help to change the angle of the drop hitch.

All that said, I haven't ever had a blowout. I've had plenty of flats but never at speed. Hopefully I'll be prepared to take care of things on the road so I can keep on truckin.

Bill, I have one of those to,but,,had it sink into pavement on 90+ degree day. They work good most of time but still like jack in there as well.

So you chain up axle to trailer frame somwhere? I need to look at my trailer again so I know exactly where to chain it up if that were even to happen.

Good idea to have rear tires intact,good thinking. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I lost two tires on the same side of my TA trailer in the same day as well. I was stupid and didn't have a spare (THAT problem has been corrected). I got lucky when the first tire blew and found a used one at the only open tire store in the town I was near. 50 miles later the other tire blew. I removed the tire, the hub had plenty of clearance and didn't require fastening to the frame, I just drove slowly home. You should carry some straps or chain in the event you need to keep the axle/hub off the ground in the event that happens but having a spare and compatible jack and wrench are the key things to have.