Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sony Cdx-M60Ui

MN_LSV

Ok, I am no stereo guru and am not in need of any crazy expensive system. Just needed to get some music back in the boat.

That being said, I have recently replaced the original JBL headunit in my 2003 23LSV with the Sony CDX-M60UI. Everything works and sounds great with the existing amp/sub/speakers. The unit came with a Sony RM-X11M wired remote. That to fit in the original remote location on the transom and works fine. My issue is the original system had a second remote near the driver. Sony and Crutchfield both told me that this headunit does not support 2 remotes. I find it hard to believe there isn't a fairly simple way to add a splitter or something to allow for the use of 2 remotes. Has anyone installed a Sonly CDX-M60UI with 2 remotes? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Its not a display remote with a Unilink cable. I'm not so sure about the assertion that it can't be done just because the manufacturer doesn't have a parts listing to support the remote control expansion. Let's just say that you had a remote control that operated off a 3.5mm 3-conductor cable the same as a mini headphone jack and extension. Those are standard parts that are readily available from a number of local sources no matter where you live. A 'Y' splitter and an extension cable with the appropriate male and female connectors should do it. In this case the hardwired remote control uses a pulse code the same as the infrared remote control. That same remote works with any unit from that brand which also has a hardwired steering wheel interface jack.

I'd encourage you to try it.

Just remember that these are fine wires with long distances and a problem can result from a voltage or signal drop with too many remotes. But just like a home audio application too large of a conductor can be counterproductive for transmitting emitter pulses over a long distance. Keep the wire size between 20 and 22 ga. Place the splitter at the HU instead of at the first remote control.

David

Ok, I am no stereo guru and am not in need of any crazy expensive system. Just needed to get some music back in the boat.

That being said, I have recently replaced the original JBL headunit in my 2003 23LSV with the Sony CDX-M60UI. Everything works and sounds great with the existing amp/sub/speakers. The unit came with a Sony RM-X11M wired remote. That to fit in the original remote location on the transom and works fine. My issue is the original system had a second remote near the driver. Sony and Crutchfield both told me that this headunit does not support 2 remotes. I find it hard to believe there isn't a fairly simple way to add a splitter or something to allow for the use of 2 remotes. Has anyone installed a Sonly CDX-M60UI with 2 remotes? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes you can use two remotes. It is easy.

You can use multiple remotes including the RMX11M you describe as well as the RMX60M in any mix. The Sony command language uses a simple resistor ladder network so adding a remote does not affect function of the first, as long as the two are not pressed at the same time.

The RMX60M, which will be preferred at the helm will include a unilink y-cord so that you can connect up and see volume/track/tuning etc. All you need to add is a quality 3.5mm y-splitter like is used for running two sets of headphones off of a source. Plug the y-cord into the remote jack on the back of the CDX-M60Ui and then connect both remotes to the y-cord.

The RMX11M like you have already can be added to the helm. It does not have the unilink y-splitter since it does not have a readout, and you can add it using a simple 3.5mm stereo y-cord as described above.

Edited by philwsailz

Thanks for reassurance on the install before I order the 2nd remote! Your responses confirm exactly what I thought. I was just confused why the helplines were saying it wasn't possible.

Not sure if I have a good spot to put the RMX600M at the helm.....the current remote is the RMX11 style and size. It would be nice to see the digital readout without looking at the actual headunit. I'll have to mesure it up when we take the boat out of winter storage.

No snow in MN this year, snowmobiles haven't left the trailer. I'm ready for spring!