Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Warming Tray

Tacostik

So all 105 lbs of my wife managed to step on the warming tray with this summer. :whistle: I bit my tongue at the time but now I need to fix it. It has about a 7 inch crack in it. Whenever I put anything large in there (multiple jackets, for instance) it bows down to the point that it nearly touches the engine cover. I was thinking something along the lines of small metal sutures superglued to both the top and bottom of the tray along the length of the crack. Anyone done anything like this before? Is there a better way?

So all 105 lbs of my wife managed to step on the warming tray with this summer. :whistle: I bit my tongue at the time but now I need to fix it. It has about a 7 inch crack in it. Whenever I put anything large in there (multiple jackets, for instance) it bows down to the point that it nearly touches the engine cover. I was thinking something along the lines of small metal sutures superglued to both the top and bottom of the tray along the length of the crack. Anyone done anything like this before? Is there a better way?

Should work ok just make sure the glue you use is good for plastic and metal. you could also screw the metal pieces together to make it stronger. Just a thought. You will need to treat the metal somhow to ensure you dont end up with rust stains on your jackets if not using stainless steel.

I'm sure we all would, but when it comes to repairing plastic, a $5 fix has always been wasted and just added to the total cost for me.

The only method I'd give a shot would be scrap aluminum plate with pop rivets and large washers. It will break with time though.... They all will.

Edited by pielet97

I don't know if this will work long term, but it is a cheap attempt during the winter; abs plastic cement from the hardware store plumbing section.

I dropped my Thule roof box and cracked the corner. Rather than buy a new one I tried glue. The product comes with a cleaner and a cement. Te cleaner caused the plastic to literally melt together and fuse. I only used a couple drops of the glue. The crack is visible but has not separated or leaked even with vibration on top of the SUV.

Just a thought. You can try and be out very little if it does not work. Make sure you use abs cement and not PVC cement. They are different. And I am assuming the tray is abs plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Found a product called "Plastic Surgery" at Ace Hardware. Guy at the store swore by it and said that it actually fuses the plastic back together. It came in a little tube that looked like super glue and only cost $4. I applied it to both sides of the crack and let it set for an hour and when I returned I was pleasantly surprised to see that it really worked as advertised. You can see the spot where the crack was but the piece is completely rigid again. I flexed and bent the piece in all directions and it felt as solid as new. I guess the real test will come when it goes back in the boat but I give it a preliminary thumbs up. :thumbup:

Would some please explain what a "Engine Storage Warming Tray" is ? I think i can guess it but my boat does not have one. I would love a picture since there aren't any online.

Thanks,

Claudio

When you lift the 2 rear sunpad pieces and the walkover, there is a plastic bin that must be removed to access the engine bay. It stays warm from the engine and is used to keep gear warm in cold weather. Sorry no pics.

I Googled "Malibu boat, engine warming tray" and found tons of pics. It's a tray over the engine that you can use to store & warm up gloves, vests, towels, etc. Came on the newer VLXs & LSVs. Sometimes theres another one under the middle seat too.

axis_ar335_storage.jpg

Congrats on the repair. I was about to suggest a Harbor Freight plastic welder but it sounds like you found an even less expensive way to fix it..... hope it works for you!!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I tried your exact search string and came up with only the one you posted. But thank you that is good to know. I wish I could find something like that for my LSV under the middle seat.

Claudio

I Googled "Malibu boat, engine warming tray" and found tons of pics. It's a tray over the engine that you can use to store & warm up gloves, vests, towels, etc. Came on the newer VLXs & LSVs. Sometimes theres another one under the middle seat too.

axis_ar335_storage.jpg

Congrats on the repair. I was about to suggest a Harbor Freight plastic welder but it sounds like you found an even less expensive way to fix it..... hope it works for you!!

My 05 LSV didn't come with a warming tray. Is there anywhere these can be found ? Has anyone added one , Either on top of the motor or under the middle seat ?

Thanks,

Claudio

Not enough room between the engine & the engine cover in the 99..... I have an 05 Vride, same hull, and there is maybe 2" to spare.

I assume the only place to get them is a Malibu dealer. :unsure:

Do you think you could build one over the v-drive in the middle seat? Not looking for much just maybe short ropes or my jumper cables.

Possibly. I'm not sure how deep it could be..... maybe 2" or 3"?

So how would you build it? Maybe make a mold out of wood, then lay up a few layers of fiberglass over the top it? Then after it sets, pop the wood out & trim to fit?