Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purchasing A 1987 Malibu Skier

Dodgerjunkie

I am thinking of purchasing a 1987 Malibu Skier. Boat is in good shape. I am mainly interested in how well this boat would be for wake boarding. The add is listed below

1987 Malibu skier 19'6. 818 hr clean boat and newer trailer, fat sacs, swim deck, sky pole, stereo cd player, 10" sub many extras......$3300 obo.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks guys

Nate

There are some experts onthe older bu's on the site hopefully MartinArcher will chim in. Based on NADA the price looks good to a bit low, may be wanting to unload the boat fast.

Be sure to check the floor, transum and stringers for rot. Any softness at all will mean a full rebuild is in the very near future. The 800 hours on the motor should be a nonissue as long as the motor was maintained well, if it was neglected you could have some problems there.

Good luck.

Nate,

The Skier is a great all around boat for 6. Like you have found you can find them for a good price and they actually do quite well for getting you into wakeboarding and slalom skiing. Like REW said, make sure you check the floor and stringers for soft spots. Give the motor mount bolts a gentle snug with a wrench to make sure the lags that go into the wood stringers they are solid. Common spots for soft floor are where the floor gets wet the most....behind the engine and the drivers/observers seat floor areas.

The Mercury Marine 5.7 Ski engines are awesome motors and 800 hours wouldn't scare me at all. Just be sure to do a compression test on the motor to make sure it was maintained well and still has proper compression and none of the cylinders are low or mismatched.

As far as wakeboarding this thread will be a lot of help to know what you can do with a Skier when properly weighted with ballast.

Good luck and post pics if you tow her home! Thumbup.gif

It depends if it's just an isolated spot on the floor or if the entire floor needs replaced, and if the stringers themselves are OK. If the stringers need replaced your into a lot of work since the entire floor has to come out. Best bet is to have a good look at the boat and report back what you find. We can certainly help you out and give advice based on what you find.

Just as a FYI, here is an album with rebuild pics from the Sunsetter I currently own. The PO rebuilt the entire boat and did a great job documenting it. Looking through the pics might give you a good idea of what your looking at and what to watch for when looking at a boat for sale.

Good luck!