Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub Location In Older Bu

PURDUEskier

I have a 94 Echelon (closed bow). I am in the middle of an interior project and adding new cabin speaker along the way. I am also looking to add a sub and an amp. The question is where is the best location to mount it in a closed bow boat. One option is in the kick panel at the drivers feet. Currently there is a 6.5" speaker mounted there, that I no longer need. I could remove it and cut the hole larger, however there is a 6" - 12" gap above the panel and it is open to the bow area. Unless I add an extension to this panel, it would not be a "sealed" enclosure. Second option is to leave the kick panel as is, with openings to the bow and just mount the sub in a box inside the bow. I know there are a ton of experts on this subject, so please help me out. What is going to sound the best and work the best for this application. Also, how big of a sub do I need, will a 10" work well or do I need a 12"?

Definitely put it in a box. If your Echelon is like mine was, that 6.5" speaker under the dash was mounted to a plastic L bracket, which sounded about as good as holding a speaker in you hand. Kudos to you for ditching that setup.

As far as size, I'd do a 10" sub up in the bow of that one and use the closed bow's acoustic properties to help the sound--if that space is open to the cockpit. If not, mine is going on top of the kick panel in front of the driver's feet under the helm. Mine is an open bow so I don't know your exact setup without pictures.

If the bow compartment is completely sealed off from the cockpit, you can mount the sub on a dividing wall and use the entire bow as your enclosure. Be sure to know that if you do this you will need an "infinite baffle" sub and it typically will not perform as well as a sub with a proper sized box.

A small sealed enclosure with a 10-inch sub will do very well in the bow compartment. It should sound like a 12-inch sub in that boat. Usually I like bass-reflex for a little more leverage but you are already going to have a ton of acoustic reinforcement from all the surrounding surfaces in a closed bow. The ideal position for the sub/enclosure would be as far forward (toward the nose) and up in the corner as possible with as little air space behind the sub/encllosure as possible and as little obstruction in the woofer's radiation path as possible.

For fit purposes you can model a 10-inch sealed enclosure with 12"X12"X12" external dimensions. You have alot of flexibility in the shape as long as you arrive at the same 1 cu.ft. external displacement. That will facilitate a majority of 10-inch woofers that are intended for small sealed enclosures.

David

The infamous "Ricky Retardo" speaker. Mine is also getting removed. I'm installing a Basslink sub above the kick panel somewhere this spring (geez...deja vu).

post-8942-0-49561000-1326477340_thumb.jp

Edited by Michigan boarder

The previous owner must have removed that piece before I bought the boat. It has an upgraded head unit and he probably did it then. Mine has a carpeted panel that is mounted just above the panel shown in the bottom of the picture. It does not go all the way to the underside of the helm, but it is about 10" tall. The 6.5" speaker is now mounted in the center of that. I did find that plastic piece in my boat and wasnt sure where it came from, now I know.

David, thanks for the response. I saw some of your other posts on other topics and was hoping you would chime in. I am planning on taking your advice with a 10" sub in a sealed box near the front of the bow, facing backwards.