Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help With Offering Price

Murphy8166

I have a friend lookig to get into a gently used Malibu and he has come across a 2009 23 LSV with an asking price of $58,900.

Here are the options and info:

Beautiful 2009 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV. Mali-View, Power Wedge, OJ 475 Prop. 165 hours with Quad Ballast and Boatmate Trailer. Boat and trailer look to be in great cond and stored indoors.

Over $20000 in stereo components and upgrades.

3 Wakeboard Racks (holds 6 wakeboards, skim style surf boards), 1 Surf Rack (holds 2 surf style boards). Samson mirror arm.

Stereo: I built this stereo to be the perfect balance of volume and clarity. It is absolutely incredible.

8 Wetsounds XS-650 cabin speakers

4 Wetsounds Pro 60 tower speakers

1 Wetsounds XXX Subwoofer with custom built ported enclosure.

Wetsounds SYN-2 amplifier powers the towers

Wetsounds SYN-4 powers the cabins

Wetsounds SYN-1 powers the subwoofer

Wetsounds 420 Equalizer/PA

Procharger Dual Bank 30amp onboard charger for 2 Kinetic HC2400 power cells and starter battery with PERKO switch.

What would you offer and what do you think is a fair price. Boat is located in TX

I hope he enjoyed that 20k stereo for those 2 summers :crazy: because I doubt it will add anywhere's close to even 10k to the resale value. However, I'd say his asking price is fair if not a little low ($59,999). What engine?

Edited by Ndawg12

I hope he enjoyed that 20k stereo for those 2 summers :crazy: because I doubt it will add anywhere's close to even 10k to the resale value. However, I'd say his asking price is fair if not a little low ($59,999). What engine?

:plus1: THe price seems fair, barring something mechanically wrong with the drive line I would go in pretty close. Lowballing and offinding someone that is being fair is not a good way to do business.

:plus1: THe price seems fair, barring something mechanically wrong with the drive line I would go in pretty close. Lowballing and offinding someone that is being fair is not a good way to do business.

People who are going to be offended by offers shouldn't sell stuff. If the offer is too low, don't sell. It's like putting "firm" in your ad... that really means "I don't know how to negotiate."

The stereo really only adds value to a particular subset of wakeboat purchaser (which is a minority of boat owners overall). Yes, he spent money on it, but it doesn't necessarily make the boat worth more on the market to the average purchaser, any more than a skullz wrap does (except to the guy who loves skulls).

I don't think I'd start any higher than $55k. What's trade in value / dealer retail? I'd shoot to offer a touch better than a dealer would give, but less than what you'd pay if buying from a dealer.

It's like putting "firm" in your ad... that really means "I don't know how to negotiate."

No, it means I don't want to deal with your crappy offers - this is my price, take it or leave it.

People who are going to be offended by offers shouldn't sell stuff. If the offer is too low, don't sell. It's like putting "firm" in your ad... that really means "I don't know how to negotiate."

The stereo really only adds value to a particular subset of wakeboat purchaser (which is a minority of boat owners overall). Yes, he spent money on it, but it doesn't necessarily make the boat worth more on the market to the average purchaser, any more than a skullz wrap does (except to the guy who loves skulls).

I don't think I'd start any higher than $55k. What's trade in value / dealer retail? I'd shoot to offer a touch better than a dealer would give, but less than what you'd pay if buying from a dealer.

Agreed, whenever I get a ridiculous offer my standard response is "Are you kidding me ? my phone is ringing off the hook this insert item here will be gone in no time." You just got to create a little urgency in the buyers mind.

In every transaction there are two sales presentations taking place. The buyer is trying to sell seller on accepting a lower price, and seller is trying to sell the buyer on paying a higher price. And may the best salesman win.

Everybody is a salesman, didn't you have to sell your wife on the idea that you were her best choice in a husband ?

Edited by LS-One

One thing I usually consider when making an offer is how long the item has been advertised. If it's a new ad, then the offer should probably be around asking price. If it's been for sale for 3 months & there are other boats listed similar, then maybe offer $3k or $4k under asking price.

If it's not advertised at all, and this was just an email sent around to a few friends, better raise the offer if you want the boat & appreciate the stereo gear.

Maybe my math is all retarded, but a stereo dealer could get all that stereo equipment for less than 8K, and I think that retail price is not going to be more than 10K. I think it would be awesome if the installer got 10K to install it all. Unfortunately, it does not add much value to the boat.

Having said all that, I think the price is very aggressive, and it will sell nicely when there is a little urgency in the buyer's mind, like as soon as the water heats up. I would not be surprised if it sells even now in the dead of winter.

NADA puts an average retail price of 55k without a single option.

If your buddy has cash... I would offer $53,000. It is not unreasonable to offer 10% below asking price. Let the negotiations begin. :)

What is the difference b/t offering cash and giving the guy a check from the loan instituion?

What is the difference b/t offering cash and giving the guy a check from the loan instituion?

If the buyer has cash, he can presumably pay for the boat right there on the spot. No waiting around for buyer's lender to appraise the vessel, etc.

Not to mention that it's much more impressive for your stainless steel briefcase to be filled with $20s when you open it, than if all that's inside is a check. Sellers will swoon when they see the green.

briefcase-full-of-money.png

If the buyer has cash, he can presumably pay for the boat right there on the spot. No waiting around for buyer's lender to appraise the vessel, etc.

Not to mention that it's much more impressive for your stainless steel briefcase to be filled with $20s when you open it, than if all that's inside is a check. Sellers will swoon when they see the green.

briefcase-full-of-money.png

Hijack on: I have a friend that did that with 50K that he made in Turkey playing basketball. It was pretty uncomfortable trying to sleep on the flight with the briefcase on his lap the entire time. But I don't know if the briefcase was stainless. Seemed like a pretty nervewracking experience. Hijack over

Cash vs. bank check does not mean much to me, unless I am trying to cover up something is wrong with the title/boat...then I want cash only.

Hijack on: I have a friend that did that with 50K that he made in Turkey playing basketball. It was pretty uncomfortable trying to sleep on the flight with the briefcase on his lap the entire time. But I don't know if the briefcase was stainless. Seemed like a pretty nervewracking experience. Hijack over

Cash vs. bank check does not mean much to me, unless I am trying to cover up something is wrong with the title/boat...then I want cash only.

Was the briefcase handcuffed to him :lol:

btw - who uses a brief case now days?:unsure:

Now days there will be a slight hit in the price in a 23 with the 350.... As evidenced by his attempt to regain power with the OJ.

Yes TX is flooded with used wakeboats.... The dealers, craigs.... Dallas, Austin, Houston.... Hundreds of them. Definitely drags the price down.

Now days there will be a slight hit in the price in a 23 with the 350.... As evidenced by his attempt to regain power with the OJ.

Yes TX is flooded with used wakeboats.... The dealers, craigs.... Dallas, Austin, Houston.... Hundreds of them. Definitely drags the price down.

Thats why I'm headin to Texas next week to do some boat shopping

One thing I usually consider when making an offer is how long the item has been advertised. If it's a new ad, then the offer should probably be around asking price. If it's been for sale for 3 months & there are other boats listed similar, then maybe offer $3k or $4k under asking price.

If it's not advertised at all, and this was just an email sent around to a few friends, better raise the offer if you want the boat & appreciate the stereo gear.

The ad that I have found for this Boat that we are talking about was listed Aug 31. So its been for sale for quite some time. I'm surprised no one has snapped it up yet. I would would start low and work on a number that both parties thinks is far. Of course barring any "surprises" mechanically

I have mine for sale here in Atlanta for a very good price I think? But had someone look at it today in 32 degree weather and then had the nerve to offer me $52k because he got a price on a VLX more hours less options. I'm all about negotiating because I want a deal on my next boat to. But atleast do some research. I thought $59,500 for a LSV with a hammerhead was a deal after looking at the boat show yesterday.

I sold my 2008 23LSV in november for 50K, I was surprised to see the wide range of prices on similar boats that were for sale out there. Anywhere from 42,000 to 59,000. And NADA book value on my boat was more than I paid for it new, which dosent make any sense to me. In the end I just needed to sell it, had it listed since august with lots of calls but no offers, at 58,000. its just what the local market would bear at the time.