Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mls Factory Bag

wolfpack

Hey guys, lurked for a bit as Ive owned my Malibu for about a year now- great information from you guys! Time to register as I have a question and I can seem to figure it out based on my span of all the threads. My center (locker) bag leaks bad, the boat (despite it being a repo) is in awesome shape; its a 2003 Wake Setter, but the zipper is pretty rusty- I assume this is where the water is coming from. Well long story short the plug had never been pulled in the center wall and I had a pretty good mess in there...mildew, ect... I am apt to just replace the bag, but not sure which bag to buy- not sure if any of you had upgraded yours and had success in it fitting and draining better (based on the closed system vs. my leaky zipper). Any insight would be appreciated- great forum!

Wolf,

As rhavey said, there is an outer cover over the bag. The acutual bag is inside.

Both guys who posted the two different replacement bags are options with one thing to consider. If you replace the factory bag with either of the two bags linked, you will have to do a plumbing mod. b/c the original plumbing has the intake / fill at the bow of the boat (bow end of the bag) and the drain at the wall end. You would need to make an adjustment to your plumbing so that your fill and drain are at the wall end if you use either of those bags. Plus, venting a new bag will be an issue too.

IMHO, and I've owned both bags, the tube sack is the better fit. It's slightly smaller but, is much easier to remove and install in the ski locker. You definitely want to remove the bag and let things air out in there on a regular basis.

Edited by Pistol Pete

thanks for the information guys. I will remove the protective bag (if I can free the zipper) and check it for a leak.

Pete- You had mentioned airing it out. I have the boat in my shop right now and have the entire center apart; it good and dry now. I keep the boat at my lake house during the summer on a lift- is this something you do during the season (take the bag out and let all of that dry out when not in use).

I also have the rear factory tanks and have read some stuff on here about replacing those with the fat sacks (more for room than anything)- have any of you done this and had better results with that?

Thanks again for your help guys!!!!

Wolf,

I can't comment on replacement bags but I used to have leaks, mildew, smells etc with the bag in my 2004 Xti. I never could fix the leaks but at the end of the season I removed the bag and liner, cleaned them and let them air in my garage over winter. I also cleaned and dried the compartment and placed Bounce sheets in there. At least I started the season with a dry and sweet smelling compartment and bag!!

Pete- You had mentioned airing it out. I have the boat in my shop right now and have the entire center apart; it good and dry now. I keep the boat at my lake house during the summer on a lift- is this something you do during the season (take the bag out and let all of that dry out when not in use).

Yes,

I would remove the bag if the boat is going to sit for more than a couple weeks.

At the end of every season, I pull the bag and put some water and bleach in it and shake it around to kill the stuff that ends up growing inside the bag.