Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 Wakesetter Lsv Stereo Problems

parda03

I have a 2010 23LSV and I have had a lot of issues with the Stereo cutting out or going to full volume without the ability to turn it off or turn it down. When the volume spikes I have to shut the boat off and turn off the battery to get it to shut off. Needless to say no one on the boat is happy when that happens and neither is the person boarding.

I have been to the dealer several times and they have been great at trying to figure it out but it still doesnt seem to be resolved.

It is quite far for me to travel back and forth to the dealer every week (hr each way) and it is a bit frustrating to say the least to not be able to listen to the music on the boat.

The speakers that were installed on the Tower were Wetsounds Pro 60's and the inside speakers are Polk Audio along with the 2 polk Audio amps that came with the boat.

Here is whats been done so far to try and correct the problem.

Dealer replaced the drivers side controller. ( problem not solved)

dealer replaced the JBL Black Box. (volume stopped spiking but speakers still cut out)

Speculation has been as follows.

1) battery is drawn too low causing amps to cut out. There are two batteries in the boat and I think we have actually eliminated this as a cause but I could be wrong.

2) Amps are over heating. I have not been able to prove this isnt happening although I have tested it with nothing in the compartment and it still happends. I have to turn it down from 3/4 to about half and then it stops. So is there not enough power for the speakers, is it that the speakers cant handle the power, or do I just have a bad amp?

In an effort to rule the speakers and amps out I contacted my friend over at BulletSpeakers.com and ordered an additional amp and 4 HP 770 NEO SS C HLCD’s TS signature Series Hollow Point Neodymium Magnet Chrome Tower Speakers. I took the amp and the speakers to the dealer who had their recomended stereo shop install them, check all the wiring, test all the AMPS, etc. (note: I did not replace the original amps, I just added a third amp)

I have 1 Rockford amp running the tower speakers ( peak output is 400 Watts per speaker x 4 speakers), 1 amp running a 10" punch sub, and 1 amp running the in boat speakers. Should be plenty of power going to each set of speakers.

I put the boat on the water and it seemed to be fine. The next outing, the stereo wasnt on at all for most of the day and we turned it on for the kids and 5 minutes after we turned it on it started cutting out. It was about 70 out so not very hot and we didnt have anything in the locker covering the amps so the amps cant possibly be over heating can they? I took it to the dealer the next day and they said they had it turned up more than 3/4 for 20 minutes and it never cut out. Here is what it sounds like when its working http://www.bulletspeakers.com/video.

I dont know if the JBL black box is the issue or if it is the setup. I had a very simular system set up in my other boat and NEVER EVER had an issue with my stereo. Same speakers all the way around, same amps, Same tower speakers, bigger sub and not once did it cut out even when it was turned to the max. It was crisp and actually hurt your ears it was so loud.

The only difference is I didnt have the JBL Black box in the old boat, I had a regular Deck. I have even gone as far as adding a WS 420 to try and see if that will help balance everything and stop the cutting out, its also cool to have the ability to talk to the people in the water etc on the Mic. :) Probably installed it more for the talking to other boats etc than anything but the stereo issues was a good excuse to put it in.

I noticed that the 2012 has a different system. Did Malibu go away from the JBL because of all the issues. There used to be a lot of posts out here regarding this topic but now they are gone. I dont want to spend all summer dealing with this problem again, especially if someone knows this is a JBL black box issue.

Ive spent several thousand dollars to have crisp clean sound on my boat and it is extreamly frustrating to not be able to listen to it and its a little embarrasing as well.

Any advice? anyone else have the same issue? if so, how did you solve it? Can I get the new Malibu system (Deck) installed in my boat? Will someone from malibu please give me the new system if they know there is a JBL Black Box issue? When you buy a $100K boat you dont expect these kinds of issues.

Sorry for the ramble

Dave

After reading everything you wrote it sounds like a battery issue to me. Do you charge the batteries after every outing? What is your battery switch set to when you're out. Do you turn your battery switch to off when done, if not you are probably experiencing a slow system drain.

BTW that's my boat in the video you posted.

Edited by Bobby Light

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have the two batteries on an A, B, A+B switch. I had the dealer verify how the amps were wired and if they were to a specific battery or if they were wired to the switch so that the amps will run off of what ever battery the switch was set too. They validated the amps should be running off of what ever battery the switch was set too.

I try to alternate batteries and some times set the switch to the A+B setting but honestly mostly run off of one or the other. If I understand correctly, the alternator charges both batteries regardless of what battery you chose to run off of. Is that correct?

Just on a side note, in my other boat, I didnt have a cut off switch so the batteries were connected all the time and I didnt have this issue. I did however have a regular battery and a kinetik battery like you see in those wheelchairs used for the handicaped running the boat and the Stereo. I never put them on a charger and never had a problem.

In this boat I absolutely turn the batteries off after every outing for the reason you mentioned. I figures there is a switch and i should use it.

Dave

I thought I had read on hear that some bad transom remotes were causing some of the same symptoms.

I do have a transome remote as well. It sits in the middle of the back seat. Someone needs to make a cover for that thing or tell me how to lock it so people stop booty changing the station. :) I can see if they will replace that too.

After reading everything you wrote it sounds like a battery issue to me. Do you charge the batteries after every outing? What is your battery switch set to when you're out. Do you turn your battery switch to off when done, if not you are probably experiencing a slow system drain.

BTW that's my boat in the video you posted.

Sweet! So you know Jaime?

parda03,

I know its frustrating but its not going to be as hard to isolate as you might think. But it will require rolling up your sleeves, diving in and taking specific steps to isolate and confirm the problem. Its a logical process of elimination.

If the shut down is only on one zone, like tower, in-boat or sub that all have different amplifiers, then its not likely a global issue relating to the remotes, HU or processor.

If the shut down includes the entire system then it is upstream in the signal path.

Get an inexpensive volt/multimeter which is going to be essential. Sears or wherever for $10 to 20. You are only going to need to know how to read DC voltage and resistance/continuity. That's about it so no in-depth reading of the meter's manual. Once you have this tool in hand I can give you a step by step To Do list that will nail down the cause.

David

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have the two batteries on an A, B, A+B switch. I had the dealer verify how the amps were wired and if they were to a specific battery or if they were wired to the switch so that the amps will run off of what ever battery the switch was set too. They validated the amps should be running off of what ever battery the switch was set too.

I try to alternate batteries and some times set the switch to the A+B setting but honestly mostly run off of one or the other. If I understand correctly, the alternator charges both batteries regardless of what battery you chose to run off of. Is that correct?

Just on a side note, in my other boat, I didnt have a cut off switch so the batteries were connected all the time and I didnt have this issue. I did however have a regular battery and a kinetik battery like you see in those wheelchairs used for the handicaped running the boat and the Stereo. I never put them on a charger and never had a problem.

In this boat I absolutely turn the batteries off after every outing for the reason you mentioned. I figures there is a switch and i should use it.

Dave

The alternator will charge whatever battery the switch is set to if its hooked up correctly. You say you had a stereo shop go over the system and ensure everything is hooked up and wired correctly?

That is not correct unless you have an automatic charging relay or a voltage sensing relay (referred to as ACR or VSR for obvious reasons). If all you have is an A-B-ALL perko switch, then only the battery that the switch is turned to at the time is going to get anything from the alternator. If you want both batteries to charge, you need to set it to ALL; If you want to charge one battery at a time, you need to set it to A or B.

Can you trace where your power wire from your amps is connected? If it's connected straight to a battery, that's wrong in this setup.

Other than talking to him on the phone a couple times no I don't. He snagged that video off of YouTube.

I know him very well and he is actually the one that is talking in the video and I think talking the video and Jeremy is driving the boat. Its a sweet system and of course a sweet boat!

I know him very well and he is actually the one that is talking in the video and I think talking the video and Jeremy is driving the boat. Its a sweet system and of course a sweet boat!

Huh? That's me driving the boat and my friend John talking in the video. We took that video the summer of 09' on Lake Sammamish in Washington.

That is not correct unless you have an automatic charging relay or a voltage sensing relay (referred to as ACR or VSR for obvious reasons). If all you have is an A-B-ALL perko switch, then only the battery that the switch is turned to at the time is going to get anything from the alternator. If you want both batteries to charge, you need to set it to ALL; If you want to charge one battery at a time, you need to set it to A or B.

Can you trace where your power wire from your amps is connected? If it's connected straight to a battery, that's wrong in this setup.

Thanks, I will make sure it is not connected to a specific battery again but I did ask the shop and the dealer to verify that for me because I knew it would be the wrong set up and htey said it wasn't. I will also validate if I have a ACR or VSR just so I know what setting I need to have things on to keep both my batteries chaged. Can I switch the switch to all after the boat is running? I usually have the switch to one or the other when we arent running so I have the ability to start off the other one if needed.

Dave

Huh? That's me driving the boat and my friend John talking in the video. We took that video the summer of 09' on Lake Sammamish in Washington.

:) Maybe it is a simular video? Take a look at it. Sounds to me like my friend Jaime and he is clearly talking to Jeremy and telling him to drive straight. I could be wrong and it could be your friend John talking to you. Are you Jeremy? No worries either way!

:) Maybe it is a simular video? Take a look at it. Sounds to me like my friend Jaime and he is clearly talking to Jeremy and telling him to drive straight. I could be wrong and it could be your friend John talking to you. Are you Jeremy? No worries either way!

This is too amusing!!!!

That is Jeremy in the boat (Aka bobby light)

I am the one talking.

parda03,

I know its frustrating but its not going to be as hard to isolate as you might think. But it will require rolling up your sleeves, diving in and taking specific steps to isolate and confirm the problem. Its a logical process of elimination.

If the shut down is only on one zone, like tower, in-boat or sub that all have different amplifiers, then its not likely a global issue relating to the remotes, HU or processor.

If the shut down includes the entire system then it is upstream in the signal path.

Get an inexpensive volt/multimeter which is going to be essential. Sears or wherever for $10 to 20. You are only going to need to know how to read DC voltage and resistance/continuity. That's about it so no in-depth reading of the meter's manual. Once you have this tool in hand I can give you a step by step To Do list that will nail down the cause.

David

Great,

I will get a meter today. Do you want to email the steps or post them here. It drives me crazy! Thank you for the help!

Dave

The alternator will charge whatever battery the switch is set to if its hooked up correctly. You say you had a stereo shop go over the system and ensure everything is hooked up and wired correctly?

Great, Thanks! I'll make sure I switch to both when running. Yea, I had the stereo shop go through it twice. They also did the install of the Sub, new tower speakers, and the WS 420. The dealer did replace the black box as well cause they said they were having some troubles with them. Can you think of anything else Ive missed?

Great, Thanks! I'll make sure I switch to both when running. Yea, I had the stereo shop go through it twice. They also did the install of the Sub, new tower speakers, and the WS 420. The dealer did replace the black box as well cause they said they were having some troubles with them. Can you think of anything else Ive missed?

I would just unplug all your remotes (transom and rear lounge) but not your dash remote to see if you have a remote acting up. I had a mux switch freak out on me causing a similar issue with different electronics. Had to replace the mux switch and it fixed the issue.

It would be nice if David posted his troubleshooting steps on this board where TMC benefits from it. Afterall that is supposed to be the intent of this site.

Dave,

You can email me once you get a meter.

I know Jamie well. One of my favorite people.

Are you the hunting buddy from Colorado?

Happy to help.

David

I am actually his hunting buddy in Colorado! He is pretty awesome! Small World!

I would just unplug all your remotes (transom and rear lounge) but not your dash remote to see if you have a remote acting up. I had a mux switch freak out on me causing a similar issue with different electronics. Had to replace the mux switch and it fixed the issue.

It would be nice if David posted his troubleshooting steps on this board where TMC benefits from it. Afterall that is supposed to be the intent of this site.

Thanks, I will add that to my troubleshooting steps for sure. Dave, is there any reason we cant post the steps here for anyone else that may be having the problem?

That is Jeremy in the boat (Aka bobby light)

I am the one talking.

There you go! Mystery solved. You sound just like Jaime! well, its an awesome video for sure! well done!