Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Renting The Boat

TLM

Does anyone have any knowledge, information, opinions, words of wisdom etc. about renting out the Malibu?

I was approached by a guy who is in the business of renting out Malibu boats during the season (similiar to RV rentals). His offer is enticing however I am sketched out on the very real possibility of someone damaging my boat (or damaging someone else with my boat). Liability? Repairs? Regular wear/tear? Who is responsible?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I guess all your questions would be answered in any contract/agreement you entered in to with the guy who approached you, with input from your insurance company....

I would be very hesitant...so hesitant in fact that I would probably annoy the facilitator of a deal like this enought that he told me to go away. And I'm pretty sure my insurance policy prohibits any commercial use of my boat, which I think this would be.

When times were better there was a guy who rented himself, all his toys, and his wakeboard boat.

He put the advertising on the side of his fancy boat and fancy pickup.

This made sense as Bend is a Trailer Sailor community. No navigable water for 40 miles.

This was 5 to 6 years ago, here in Bend.

Now the Lake Billy Chinook general store rents a crummy looking Ski Centurion with a tower to the civilians.

Those folks cruise by our little Sundance course sometimes at a perfect speed ( for surfing ! ). Frequently 8 passengers, sometimes in the old Kapok life jackets.

For rates call your local lake rental outfit and double the rate.

Edited by DONTW8

Only way I'd rent my boat out would be for full market value + 10% . :biggrin:

All kidding aside, no way I'd do it. :no: I'm too anal about my boat and a renter wouldn't be. In fact, I would venture to say that if spending $4-500 to rent a boat they'd probably feel entitled to hammer the thing. Then there's the jail time after I killed them...not worth it.

I just can't see someone paying enough to make it worth your while. I would estimate you would have to get a business license to get insurance on the boat because your insurance wouldn't cover the damages when/if they found out you were renting it. Think about it. How does maintenance of the boat get verified, who checks fluids when the renters are done, who checks for damages seen and unseen. Who checks to make sure the renters didn't beach the boat, if they did who pays for damages and repairs. The list goes on and on and on..... In my mind anyways.

I was going to do something similar for a promotional weekend for Overtons last summer. $2k plus gas, some swag, and 20 hours driving my boat with a few "promo" girls.... Actually it was nothing like your situation but check your insurance policy, you probably need a commercial policy and maybe a special license.

Imagine a non-boater trying to dock or trailer your boat?

I see them slamming into docks, other boats, runing over the tow ropes, hell also over the downed boarder.

Get outta here man.

Yeah, and there's a lawyer out there that will figure out a way to make it your fault.

Does the saying 'Drive it like a rental' mean anything to you?

Not as much as "Drive it like you stole it" does. Means the same thing though. The only way you can really rent something out is if you don't really give a crap about it and are prepared for whatever you rent to come back broken and/or abused. Either on purpose or through negligence. If you're good with that, go for it. A friend of mine rented a motorhome from a guy that rented his own out, and it worked out fine for both sides.

If your the type of Malibu owner who treats his boat as good or better than you treat your wife or kids, then I doubt it would ever be worth it.

But if your a business man, and the Malibu is nothing but an asset, then I think it could be very lucrative. Granted your regular boat insurance won't be usable, but you can purchase commercial insurance that will help you.

I have a buddy, a fellow boat owner & SkySki rider, who decided he could do it...... with an RV. So he bought a 36' bus of some kind, and started renting it out. After one season in the Seattle market, he bought a 2nd RV. And this winter he's adding a 3rd RV. And this is in a down economy.

I asked him if he's thought about doing the same thing with boats. The RVs he rents out were purchased used for very good deals, which helps his bottom line. He said as soon as he comes across a boat deal that he thinks he can make money with, he'll be renting boats too.

Can it be done? Sure. But most of us on this site aren't about to rent out our pride & joy because no renter could ever treat it good enough.

If your the type of Malibu owner who treats his boat as good or better than you treat your wife or kids, then I doubt it would ever be worth it.

But if your a business man, and the Malibu is nothing but an asset, then I think it could be very lucrative. Granted your regular boat insurance won't be usable, but you can purchase commercial insurance that will help you.

I have a buddy, a fellow boat owner & SkySki rider, who decided he could do it...... with an RV. So he bought a 36' bus of some kind, and started renting it out. After one season in the Seattle market, he bought a 2nd RV. And this winter he's adding a 3rd RV. And this is in a down economy.

I asked him if he's thought about doing the same thing with boats. The RVs he rents out were purchased used for very good deals, which helps his bottom line. He said as soon as he comes across a boat deal that he thinks he can make money with, he'll be renting boats too.

Can it be done? Sure. But most of us on this site aren't about to rent out our pride & joy because no renter could ever treat it good enough.

Ditto!

I could never rent out anything that I am emotionally involved with. Crazy.gif

Does anyone have any knowledge, information, opinions, words of wisdom etc. about renting out the Malibu?

I was approached by a guy who is in the business of renting out Malibu boats during the season (similiar to RV rentals). His offer is enticing however I am sketched out on the very real possibility of someone damaging my boat (or damaging someone else with my boat). Liability? Repairs? Regular wear/tear? Who is responsible?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your boat will be damaged. Period. Come to terms with that and make your decision based on that fact. Sounds like I'm being a jerk i know but I think it's reality.

Haha that's what I was trying to say but Bill you said it way better. If you're detached and you view your boat as an asset. Personally, if I was going to go through the hassle of doing something like this it would be with an RV.