Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Pricing And Market

Brent Wall

I am considering selling my 2008 Wakesetter VLX and getting a new VLX or 23 LSV. I know the crew always loves helping other crew members spend their money so I am hoping I can get some good advice on a fair price for my current boat and an idea of how long I can expect it to be on the market. I am already aware of the stance that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it but there are reasonable bounds to this approach that range from "a great deal for the buyer" to "top dollar for the seller". If you're not comfortable with a specific number, a range would still be helpful.

Here are the details:

2008 Malibu Wakesetter VLX

210 hours

Options and Upgrades

- Monsoon 340 Engine

- Power Wedge

- Center and Rear Ballast

- Bow Filler Cushion

- Transom Walkover

- Illusion X Tower

- Fixed Wakeboard Rack

- Fixed Ski Rack

- Bimini Top

- Factory Cover

- Dual Battery Setup

- In-boat Speakers: 3 pairs of Wet Sounds XS-650s powered by a Wet Sounds SYN4 amp.

- Tower Speakers: 1 pair of Wet Sounds Pro 80s powered by a Wet Sounds SYN4 amp.

- Subwoofer: Wet Sounds XS-12 powered by a Wet Sounds SYN2 amp.

DHM Trailer:

- Tandem Axle

- Disc Brakes

- Chrome Wheels

Notes:

This boat is in excellent condition. I purchased it new in March 2009. (It still has a few months of the factory warranty remaining.) It has been wiped down inside and out after every use. It has always been stored indoors.

Picture:

post-8878-0-97614800-1326150481_thumb.jp

Edited by Brent Wall

I can attest yours is a very nice boat and you won't have any trouble selling it Brent. I know where there's a good buy in 2010 23LSV, we took it out a few times while waiting for our boat to arrive. I also understand that you may be looking for new...hope to see you at some of the upcoming shows.

I think the last time we took this boat out it had 24 hours.

VP2271567_2_large.jpg

Edited by thtrog

Eddie: I looked at this boat last week. I'm a bit torn between this boat, a new 2011 23 LSV and a new 2011 VLX. I'm favoring the new 2011's for a variety of reasons but I'm undecided on going with another VLX or moving up to the 23. I'm sure there are lots of folks here who can help me figure that out but first things first. I can only make this work if I can get a good price for my boat and move it in a reasonable amount of time.

Eddie: I looked at this boat last week. I'm a bit torn between this boat, a new 2011 23 LSV and a new 2011 VLX. I'm favoring the new 2011's for a variety of reasons but I'm undecided on going with another VLX or moving up to the 23. I'm sure there are lots of folks here who can help me figure that out but first things first. I can only make this work if I can get a good price for my boat and move it in a reasonable amount of time.

I checked tonight and found out the one I suggested sold last Friday. I'm sure you'll figure it out, look forward to talking to you soon.

Brent,

I think that moving your boat in a reasonable amount of time is going to be the challenge in the winter. It takes the right person at the right time for the right price. Best of luck in finding that person, it for sure happens.

I sold a boat last winter...or at least tried to. Got very little traffic despite the fact it was priced aggressively. Finally sold it in early March. Then, of course, I have people tell me they would have paid 5K more for it. Around here, things did not heat up until Mid February. I started getting a lot of calls about then.

I'm beginning to think that the best plan is to go ahead with the purchase of the new boat now when the prices are lowest and then starting to market my current boat in March or April when demand and prices will be higher. I would gladly wait if I can get an additional 5K or more for it then. I just don't want this to linger on through the summer.

If you have a boat show in the area you may want to begin your marketing at that time. I have sold 2 boats in late February due to interest generated from our local boat show. Seemed early in the year to me, but I guess people get the fever after seeing all those boats at the show.

If you have a boat show in the area you may want to begin your marketing at that time. I have sold 2 boats in late February due to interest generated from our local boat show. Seemed early in the year to me, but I guess people get the fever after seeing all those boats at the show.

Very True. Our boat show had that effect on my parents the year we bought ours.

Brent, just about the best way to get max $$ on your boat is thru a consignment/trade in with a dealer.

Most dealers offer this... its where the dealer sells your boat for you... and does it for free if you buy another boat from him. If he sells it, and you decide not buy from him, you pay 10% or so sales comission for his service. Also this way, you are tax sheltered and get that tax credit towards trade in on your new boat.

Lots of buyers could and would only buy $50k boats thru dealers...safety, inspection, implied service from a Malibu dealer. Clear title etc etc.

If you are considering selling...detail it and get the boat over to your dealer and I'd price yours at $50-$55k ish from immediately now till march... then look at a price point of 47-49. Also, put it on here, boat trader, only inboards, Craigs and Ebay for visibility.

Just looking to get into a bigger boat?

Although your boat is now going on 4 yrs old, it been very well kept,very low hours and will show very well, near flawless, great color scheme and still has the new boat feel.

I know a drove it this summer. :rockon:

I sold my '08 VLX and bought an '11 VLX early last summer so I can address a number of the questions you've mentioned in this thread.

First VLX vs LSV. Both great wakes, having been behind both many times I don't think I could choose one over the other. The 2011 VLX has a larger interior than your 2008 did so that is worth noting. Really depends on how big your crew is in my opinion.

As for pricing on your '08. As others have mentioned, time of year and location are definitely factors. From my experience the ask prices you see on onlyinboards and NADA value really don't matter too much. Most offers are going to come in about 10-12% below those numbers, maybe even worse. Ultimately I thought I'd get more for my boat than I did. I got $42,500 and looking at ask prices you might say I let it go too low, but my buddy traded his '08 into a dealer in another state. His dealer sold his for the same price (both my boat and my buddy's had similar options and hours to yours). Part of the problem as I see it is when you get into the upper $40's, people can get a new Axis for a couple thousand more versus a 3-4 year old VLX. My warranty was up so that may help you a little. I can also tell you not to price your boat too far below other boats listed online, the lower your ask price, the lower the offers (some of them will be insulting if you don't keep the ask price up in a decent range).

FYI, the 2010 23 I posted above was traded in with only 18 hours for a '11 VLX...I like both after spending time in the 23. Spotts is correct, the new VLX will feel a little roomier because of the wider beam. Good Luck Brent, I'm sure something good will work out for you!

Brent, just about the best way to get max $$ on your boat is thru a consignment/trade in with a dealer.

Most dealers offer this... its where the dealer sells your boat for you... and does it for free if you buy another boat from him. If he sells it, and you decide not buy from him, you pay 10% or so sales comission for his service. Also this way, you are tax sheltered and get that tax credit towards trade in on your new boat.

I sold a boat just before the recession hit. The dealer actually found the buyer for me. The dealer knew I would buy a new boat from him when I sold mine, and a guy walked into the shop with sticker shock from new boat prices. The dealer then said: 'but I do know a used boat in your price range that you would like'...and the rest is history. Of course then the economy tanked, the dealer went bankrupt, and I got a great deal on a boat I sold more than 2 years later for more than I bought it for. So I think that it is a great idea to have the dealer looking out for buyers too.

Edited by TallRedRider

I sold a boat just before the recession hit. The dealer actually found the buyer for me. The dealer knew I would buy a new boat from him when I sold mine, and a guy walked into the shop with sticker shock from new boat prices. The dealer then said: 'but I do know a used boat in your price range that you would like'...and the rest is history. Of course then the economy tanked, the dealer went bankrupt, and I got a great deal on a boat I sold more than 2 years later for more than I bought it for. So I think that it is a great idea to have the dealer looking out for buyers too.

What did it cost you for him to sell it?

Brent, just about the best way to get max $ on your boat is thru a consignment/trade in with a dealer.

Lots of buyers could and would only buy $50k boats thru dealers...safety, inspection, implied service from a Malibu dealer. Clear title etc etc.

If you are considering selling...detail it and get the boat over to your dealer and I'd price yours at $50-$55k ish from immediately now till march... then look at a price point of 47-49. Also, put it on here, boat trader, only inboards, Craigs and Ebay for visibility.

You're right about the value proposition for consignment with a dealer. The safety, inspection and implied service from a Malibu dealer are important but perhaps most important is that the dealer can arrange financing. (About 80% of the boats in this class are financed). In addition, in my case, I would be consigning the boat with the dealer where I purchased it and have had it serviced for the past 34 months. They can easily show that it has been properly maintained.

My dealer isn't willing to consign my boat for free if I buy another boat from him but he is willing to do it for a very reasonable flat fee that covers his costs.

Just looking to get into a bigger boat?

I am not necessarily focused on bigger. As you noted, my boat is in excellent condition with low hours. I don't really have a rational reason for getting a new boat but I like the new tower and new electonics and would like to have a bow ballast. I'm generally happy with size of my VLX and, as noted elsewhere in this thread, the new VLX's have more interior room than my boat.

Although your boat is now going on 4 yrs old, it been very well kept,very low hours and will show very well, near flawless, great color scheme and still has the new boat feel.

I know a drove it this summer. :rockon:

I hope the market responds accordingly.

Edited by Brent Wall

What did it cost you for him to sell it?

He just referred the buyer to me and we struck up the deal. It did not cost anything. Of course, the plan was to buy a boat from him, so technically it almost cost me 60K or so, but his bankruptcy and other factors messed up that deal.