Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How Long Before Damage Runnning Engine Dry ?no Flush Or Fake A Lake?

how long can an engine run before its damaged if its not sucking in water??

will a few seconds damage it or does it need to overheat ?

thks

Edited by malibu.c.c
MalibuNation

how long can an engine run before its damaged if its not sucking in water??

will a few seconds damage it or does it need to overheat ?

thks

Few seconds you'll be fine ... might want to check your impeller unless it's a one that's considered "run dry"/

:plus1: A few seconds is ok just don't put it in gear (if you have ever done this yo know why :whistle: )

Few seconds you'll be fine ... might want to check your impeller unless it's a one that's considered "run dry"/

Just before I put the boat in each time, I'll click her over, just to make sure she'll start. But only for one moment.

I think the biggest danger is damaging the raw water pump impellar. Most are not intended to run dry and will damage the impellar.

Steve B.

what can happen if you put it in gear?

Strut bearings are water cooled I believe, and made of a plastic material. As with anything, heat is what kills it. So for a short period of time, I doubt any damage would be done. Your temp guage will be the indicator on your motor. But as noted, you'll tear apart your impeller before you overheat the motor if its not the Globe run-dry.

what can happen if you put it in gear?

the strut bearings are water cooled and water lubricated. without being wet, very wet, they will make the worst noise you have ever heard. Even for just a second it will make your skin crawl.

The engine can take much more time with no water than the impeller. Just ask my daughter who started the motor halfway down the ramp one evening last summer. She then learned how to put in a new impeller at the dock.

Someone mentioned watching the temp gauge. I'm not sure if that works when there's no water in the block. I realize there's some residual left in, but when you start the motor some of that goes out the exhaust. My point is I don't know if I'd take the gauge as gospel.

The engine can take much more time with no water than the impeller. Just ask my daughter who started the motor halfway down the ramp one evening last summer. She then learned how to put in a new impeller at the dock.

Someone mentioned watching the temp gauge. I'm not sure if that works when there's no water in the block. I realize there's some residual left in, but when you start the motor some of that goes out the exhaust. My point is I don't know if I'd take the gauge as gospel.

Your right. The temp gauge isn't going to mean a thing. The impeller will fry before you overheat anyway.

I have a fake a lake and I am thinking of adding a home made flush pro type system to the boat. I have never looked inside a v drive engine compartment that much, I can do this somewhat easily on my direct drive, but could you un hook the hose to the impeller shove a hose in there and run the boat with the hose on. Eliminates the need to buy a fake a lake or install a flush pro, and lets you run the boat without worrying about damaging anything. Its certainly the most hassle way of doing it, but saves some coin. If youre just running for a few seconds to make sure it starts before heading to the water then I guess its fine.