Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailor Tongue Height

Debt Setter

The tongue height of my trailor is occasionally an issue to hook up to and from my vehicle. I am in he middle of building a block out of 2x4 to give me about 6" in height so that I don't A.) max out the height of the front wheel and B.) eliminate the chances of not being able to get the boat either on or off my ball. This is becomng big, bulky and not such a bright idea, so I thought I would turn to the crew for ideas... I have tried using a bigger drop on my hitch and has caused issues while towing, I seem to have a good height for towing and a terrible height for hooking up and unhooking.

Thanks for the help!

what is the tow vehicle?

2007 Escalade, I have after market wheels on it but the overall diameter is the same as stock, I don't believe the veicle sits higher than a stock Escalade.

The issue lies in your ride management system. You have air ride in that rig and it fills the bags when you hook the boat up. Then when you go to get it off. The back of the truck is lifted to high. So it dosent want to release. I had this issue in my Expedition. Un hook the trailer and then get back in the car shift into gear and wait a minute. Then double check but the car should have lowered it self. I hope that makes sence.

Is the ball height set to tow the trailer in a level attitude? If so, sounds like your jack is either not mounted correctly?

Peter

Yes, it tows fine, I had problems towing with a 2" drop and switched to the 4".

The issue lies in your ride management system. You have air ride in that rig and it fills the bags when you hook the boat up. Then when you go to get it off. The back of the truck is lifted to high. So it dosent want to release. I had this issue in my Expedition. Un hook the trailer and then get back in the car shift into gear and wait a minute. Then double check but the car should have lowered it self. I hope that makes sence.

Understood, I have messed with this as well. PITA... I have twice had to move to another location to unhitch the boat and am trying to come up with a simple solution. I.E the 2x4 build, by the time I make it 6" x 10" square it will be bulky and heavy, not something I want to travel around with at all times. Just thought the crew would have a simple solution as usual, I am sure someone will chime in with something, they always do! :thumbup:

No issue with the 4", tows perfect. 2" would make the brakes engage over bumps.

It seems like that should be the other way - that a larger drop would let the brakes engage easier -

I have a 2007 escalade and had the same issue when I first bought the boat. If I have the truck shut off; I had the same issue as you- ran out of lift on the jack before it disengaged the ball. All I needed to do is leave the truck running while unhooking the trailer and as the back axle unloads and raises the air bags de-pressure. Never had an issue since using a standard 2" drop drawbar. Boatmate trailer with a 22" coupler height to run level. If it is not working for you there may be a problem with your auto-ride.

Edited by G-Mack

Extreme

My extreme trailer is much the same way. I think the jack they used is just a tiny bit too short. On both my Ford Excursion diesel and Toyota Tundra, I have a 2 inch drop and the nose rides just slightly down, but to get the boat off the ball, I need to put the jack up to its furthest height. In fact, I have to just drive away with 1/4" of the ball still under the hitch. Fortunately, the tow vehicle just slides under that 1/4".

I think this problem is a combination:

Soft suspension vehicle,

High trailer height when level,

Jack that is not long enough to push the trailer all the way up.

I was able to get the boat out Saturday, and my jack suddenly has a clunk every time I hit the 9 O'clock position, so I think I will be looking for a new one that will adjust to give a slightly higher lift. I do wonder if jacking it to its furthest limit caused the problem.

My extreme trailer is much the same way. I think the jack they used is just a tiny bit too short. On both my Ford Excursion diesel and Toyota Tundra, I have a 2 inch drop and the nose rides just slightly down, but to get the boat off the ball, I need to put the jack up to its furthest height. In fact, I have to just drive away with 1/4" of the ball still under the hitch. Fortunately, the tow vehicle just slides under that 1/4".

I think this problem is a combination:

Soft suspension vehicle,

High trailer height when level,

Jack that is not long enough to push the trailer all the way up.

I was able to get the boat out Saturday, and my jack suddenly has a clunk every time I hit the 9 O'clock position, so I think I will be looking for a new one that will adjust to give a slightly higher lift. I do wonder if jacking it to its furthest limit caused the problem.

I had the same problem with my Extreme trailer when I first got it, I don't know what kind of jack you guys have but mine is adjustable. I just moved my jack down a bit and problem solved!

Terry