Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

rotating prop by hand

jetskipro550

I thought I read some where (a long time ago) that the prop should spin easily if you try to turn it by hand. At the beginning of summer we could turn ours sort of easily but it still felt like it would "catch" and then this christmas break when I was at home I was taking the platform off and tried to turn the prop it was really hard! Is this bad?

Edited by jetskipro550

dumb questions...what is the strut? and where is the strut bearing located? and how would I lubricate it? Grease or is it done by water?

BTW - it makes a squeaking/grinding, sort of metal on metal sound. Could the shaft or prop be messed up?

Edited by jetskipro550

The strut is what is holding the prop shaft in line. It is mounted to the boat by six or eight screws and is the brass/nibra piece that the shaft passes through. The metal on metal sound is perfectly normal. The strut bearing is water lubricated so if it is dry it will not turn easily. If you have it in the water then it spins freely. Also every inboard that the family has had the prop does not turn easily.

Edited by Cbrown
dumb questions...what is the strut? and where is the strut bearing located? and how would I lubricate it? Grease or is it done by water?

BTW - it makes a squeaking/grinding, sort of metal on metal sound. Could the shaft or prop be messed up?

The strut bearing is located just aft and slightly lower than the muffler bearing on your boat. The funny thing is the strut bearing is actually more of a bushing - unlike the muffler bearing - odd I know. Getting the strut bearing wet will take care of the noise, catching feeling whereas getting the muffler bearing wet will cause permanment damage. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it. I think your fine. :)

The strut bearing is located just aft and slightly lower than the muffler bearing on your boat. The funny thing is the strut bearing is actually more of a bushing - unlike the muffler bearing - odd I know. Getting the strut bearing wet will take care of the noise, catching feeling whereas getting the muffler bearing wet will cause permanment damage. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it. I think your fine. :)

Sounds more like the muffler bearing is dry and needs to be lubricated, you will need a left handed adjustable muffler bearing wrench to loosen it make sure you use non-smoking Malibu muffler bearing grease when lubricating the bearing make sure the grease gland spring is in place and be careful not to over torque it.

Sounds more like the muffler bearing is dry and needs to be lubricated, you will need a left handed adjustable muffler bearing wrench to loosen it make sure you use non-smoking Malibu muffler bearing grease when lubricating the bearing make sure the grease gland spring is in place and be careful not to over torque it.

Yeah....ok.... ;)

Actually pennzoil now makes non smoking muffler grease specifically for malibu. The added benefit is added hp and torque. By using pennzoil you will see a 10hp increase and a 15lb torque increase. Be sure not to overheat the muffler bearings thought or you will cause the opposite effect. You can actually see hp/torque decreases. Good luck :lol::lol::lol:

Actually pennzoil now makes non smoking muffler grease specifically for malibu. The added benefit is added hp and torque. By using pennzoil you will see a 10hp increase and a 15lb torque increase. Be sure not to overheat the muffler bearings thought or you will cause the opposite effect. You can actually see hp/torque decreases. Good luck :lol::lol::lol:

If we could just get GT to get us a couple hundred ft of flight line, we could jump a lot higher on our boards.

Joe

Someone awhile back said you must read every thread, no matter how boring they sound because you never where where the humor will be hiding.

:lol:

Someone awhile back said you must read every thread, no matter how boring they sound because you never where where the humor will be hiding.

Oh how true that is Biggrin.gif

Actually pennzoil now makes non smoking muffler grease specifically for malibu.

Um, NO! What, are you new? It's Valvoline.RTFM.gif

Dude, don't jump all over the new guy! Pennzoil has some now as well.

Dang....

Biggrin.gif

Oh how true that is Biggrin.gif

Regarding your prop, The noise is completely normal, what your hearing is the drive shaft rubbing on the teflon bearings inside your prop strut. The only reason its squeaking and hard to turn is from lack of lubrication or water Biggrin.gif

Oh, by the way it does get louder if your steering wheel is turned all the way to the left. Crazy.gif

Regarding your prop, The noise is completely normal, what your hearing is the drive shaft rubbing on the teflon bearings inside your prop strut. The only reason its squeaking and hard to turn is from lack of lubrication or water Biggrin.gif

Oh, by the way it does get louder if your steering wheel is turned all the way to the left. Crazy.gif

Killjoy.

;)

...we had a muffler bearing post going!

I always hate the redirection of a good derailment. :lol:

Nothing quite like being off topic on an unrelated thread that's heading toward the holy grail only to be rerouted by a certain individual who "thinks" he knows everything their is to know about muffler bearing juice! Man, this is one of those threads that could of gone the "whole 10 pages"

Tongue.gif

Is valvoline actually making the new non smoking muffler bearing grease also? Are their hp/torque numbers any better than pennziol? I wonder if there is patent infringement involved, I'm pretty sure that pennzoil pattented their version of grease. Crazy.gifCrazy.gifCrazy.gif

Is valvoline actually making the new non smoking muffler bearing grease also? Are their hp/torque numbers any better than pennziol? I wonder if there is patent infringement involved, I'm pretty sure that pennzoil pattented their version of grease. Crazy.gifCrazy.gifCrazy.gif

Patent smatent - Mastercraft patented the tower running light and guess who has one in 06? Yours truly sits atop of every Illusion X this year. How about Nautique? They have a patent on the tower, but everone else uses it, for a fee. All I'm saying is even if pennzoil did patent their stuff I don't think that would keep another player from entering the market. As far as actual numbers go I've not seen any, but I assure you the numbers you posted earlier sure seem a bit biased! I mean come on, you really believe those hp/torque numbers? Why wouldn't Malibu/Indmar use the stuff right out of the shoot then?