Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Walters V Drive Leaking

My 05 VLX V Drive is leaking a bit of oil. Appears to be coming from oil pan gasket. Anyone have experience removing pan and replacing gasket without removing entire unit? Fairly tight space to work with. -Thanks

G-DOG, your in luck I had the misfortune of fixing mine on my 06 Walter. Easy fix and fortunately the hardest part will be trying to get the oil out w/o making a dam mess. There should be 4x 9/16 nuts and 4 lock washers holding the pan on. And you will need to remove the upper sump pick-up hose fitting (brass) that runs from the sump to the pump vent/fill cap on the back of the V drive. IIRC it is 5/8 and a flare nut wrench (best) or equivelant sized open end will work. I used a large baking sheet :whistle: (don't ask) to drain the pan, the drain nut was a 1/2 inch pipe plug rear lower port/strbd sides. Remove the pick-up hose, then remove the 4x 9/16 nuts, mine where barely wrench tight and drop the pan on a rag. The gasket may or may not come off in one piece, if it doesn't don't sweat it just go to a auto part store and get some gasket material the same thickness. The sump pan was a bad casting job and I had 2 low spots @ the 3/9 oclock positions so I decked the face as good as I could to level it and used some RTV silicone when I reapplied the gasket. Clean the mating surfaces as good as you can and all 4 bolts so the Loctite will hold better, reassemle. I can't remember what the torque specs were for it, but I do remember it was crazy hard trying to get to it to torque them down. As I recall the manual says it holds just short of 1 QT of straight 30W oil. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM and I will be glad to answer any other questions you might have. Bill

Almost forgot, if you have an oil extractor pump you may be able to get it into the vent/fill line to suck the out of the sump. It will go all the way to the lowest portion of the sump and hit the back of the pan where a screen covers the pick-up point. At the time I didn't have an oil extractor so it was messy to say the least.

Almost forgot, if you have an oil extractor pump you may be able to get it into the vent/fill line to suck the out of the sump. It will go all the way to the lowest portion of the sump and hit the back of the pan where a screen covers the pick-up point. At the time I didn't have an oil extractor so it was messy to say the least.

Bill, Thank you very much for the step by step. I'm going to give it a go in a month or two. If I run into anything unexpected I'll take you up on the PM offer. Think I will invest in the oil extractor as well.

• 5 months later...

I have the same boat with the same issue. Thanks for your post Bill. I'm thinking of trying this fix myself. Have you done the repair yet G-DOG? Specifically, are you able to drop the pan and remove it to fix the gasket? Clearance down there seems pretty tight. I think I can get at the bolts for removal but the reinstall may be a challenge and I don't want to start something I can't finish. Any help is appreciated.

Winvalley, the studs should be screwed in so when you pull the 4 nuts and lock washers the pan will drop with a little effort and the help of a screw driver or putty knife. I am not sure on the clearance issue on the Malibu as mine was on a Moomba. You still needed to be a Chineses contortionist with little girl hands to do it but it was possible. The only part left to remove was the pick up line that runs from the sump to the pump at the rear of the VD. It was a 5/8 fitting IIRC and use a flare nut wrench if you have one it is a brass fitting under the paint. The only thing that should come out of there when you drop the pan should be the gasket and some 30W oil. If you need some more help feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck Bill

My 05 VLX V Drive is leaking a bit of oil. Appears to be coming from oil pan gasket. Anyone have experience removing pan and replacing gasket without removing entire unit? Fairly tight space to work with. -Thanks

Have you tried to tighten the bolts? Maybe they are coming loose.

Yes. Tightened them up. They were not that bad. Filled it back up and let it sit overnight. Paper towel was blotted by the morning.

I have the pan out and it looks like there is very little original gasket material. Should have been leaking from day one. What type of gasket material and thickness should I look for? I've never worked with the RTV silicone so whats the approach? Spread it on and then lay the gasket material on? Another coat of RTV and then put the pan back on? Sorry for the simple questions? Still trying to become a boat mechanic.

Win, if there is no gasket material left on the pan it is most likely still stuck to the bottom of the VD and needs to be scraped off. If your still have some gasket material left and want to go that route just take the old piece to NAPA or some like auto parts store and buy a sheet of the same thickness gasket material and make a new one. If not clean both mating surfaces with a cleaner and apply a bead to the pan, let it set up as per the instructions and put the pan back on. Torqueing that thing down is going to be the hard part.

Peeled off the old gasket and cut a new one. Installed the pan (not much fun) and refilled it. Let it sit overnight and no leaks in the morning. Looks like its fixed. Thanks for your help Bill.

• 1 year later...

Looks like I am going to try this too. I have a small leak somewhere and when I run my hand under there all 4 bolts felt oily. I drained the oil and dropped the pan, but of course the parts stores are closed now so have to wait on gasket material until tomorrow.