Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ilmor Marine Motors

A-hole

I see these motors are now in master craft boats.The manufacturer web sight looks like it would be a reputable brand.

Master craft must have been cut off by pcm & indmar?Why else would they make such a bold move.

They sure come out with some quirkie products.When I was on my 3 year quest for a wake boat ,of course MC was looked at.They are like darth vader boats with weird options.The seat were falling apart,the prices were enbarising,& they had no fins under most models.The Bu dealer had a good point...with out the fins I should just keep the Larson I already had.

Any info on these Ilmor marine mills?

I see these motors are now in master craft boats.The manufacturer web sight looks like it would be a reputable brand.

Master craft must have been cut off by pcm & indmar?Why else would they make such a bold move.

They sure come out with some quirkie products.When I was on my 3 year quest for a wake boat ,of course MC was looked at.They are like darth vader boats with weird options.The seat were falling apart,the prices were enbarising,& they had no fins under most models.The Bu dealer had a good point...with out the fins I should just keep the Larson I already had.

Any info on these Ilmor marine mills?

Some discussion about that here.

jkendallmsce

The company that owns mc also owns illmore.

When MC closed/bankrupt, that Penske bought MC. ANd yes Penske also owns Illmor, so it makes sense to buy from your sister company rather than the competion.

All long blocks are GM, so all you are buying are the bolts ons: the exhaust system, computer and possible the ingnition, etc.

And I would not be shocked, if compared by a legit third party, there is probably little if any difference in HP and TQ, as I am sure that all marine builders fudge on their numbers.

And both advertise the HP, but most boat owners are really impressed/concerned more by the TQ, and specifically low end TQ.

They ilmor sure looks nice, but maybe they should keep there energy on improving the new 2012 xstar that looks terrible. Rumor is the xstar they revealed this year might not even goto market because of all the problems they are having with it. Guess time will tell, still can't find one 2012 on any website.

Edited by Fman

Like most new things at MC, they had their quirks at first. ECM's in the early motors were replaced. Can't say much about reliability, but I drove a X-25 with the 5.7 and it was smooth all the way up to the mid 40's. A few more RPM's than Indmar. IIRC 5,400. Smooth and quiet!

They ilmor sure looks nice, but maybe they should keep there energy on improving the new 2012 xstar that looks terrible. Rumor is the xstar they revealed this year might not even goto market because of all the problems they are having with it. Guess time will tell, still can't find one 2012 on any website.

the power operated tower is terriblle.So ugly.But matches the homely boats.

When MC closed/bankrupt, that Penske bought MC. ANd yes Penske also owns Illmor, so it makes sense to buy from your sister company rather than the competion.

All long blocks are GM, so all you are buying are the bolts ons: the exhaust system, computer and possible the ingnition, etc.

And I would not be shocked, if compared by a legit third party, there is probably little if any difference in HP and TQ, as I am sure that all marine builders fudge on their numbers.

And both advertise the HP, but most boat owners are really impressed/concerned more by the TQ, and specifically low end TQ.

Illmor made their name making race engines. Mostly road course engines. There are a lotof differences between the Illmor engine and the Indmar engine. While the block is all GM, the cylinder heads and choice of camshafts to go with the heads are different. When running an Illmor engine you will notice more pull from the 3000-6000rpm range- these engines are designed to breathe. That said, who amoung us are operating at 4000rpm? No one wake surfs or boards at those rpms and for a ski boat, that's still a little high in the rpms range.

I think MC offers that engine because they get a good price for it and they have been getting hammered for years about their slow top end speed.

MC had a 25 year relationship with Indmar and Indmar carryed MC through their money crisis , and for that they get stabbed in the back by MC.

MC told Indmar they would keep there engines if they would go exclusilvely with MC, for Indmar that was only 30% of the markett, so that wasnt going to happen, so it now will be interesting see how well ILLMOR will do during there teething into wakeboard boats, thats new territory.

MC had a 25 year relationship with Indmar and Indmar carryed MC through their money crisis , and for that they get stabbed in the back by MC.

MC told Indmar they would keep there engines if they would go exclusilvely with MC, for Indmar that was only 30% of the markett, so that wasnt going to happen, so it now will be interesting see how well ILLMOR will do during there teething into wakeboard boats, thats new territory.

The percieved arrogance of the MC company appears to be well founded.