Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'05 Vlx?

AC4life

Hey everyone. Ive been shopping around for a few months now looking to purchase my first Malibu. The local dealer recently got in a 2005 VLX. It is in very nice shape and has 311 hours on it. It has the indmar monsoon 340 engine, one center ballast and two rear, and a manual wedge. They are asking 41k for it. Does that sound like a pretty ball park price for the year and hours? Me and my girlfriend primarily wakeboard and are getting more and more into surfing, but i also enjoy the odd slalom run. Will this boat set up as is be able to do the job for all three? Any input and advice would be awesome. Was orginally looking to get a little newer and spend a bit more money, but this boat is in mint shape and is basically the same boat as the 07 and 08 VLX's right?

1_1.jpg

Its overpriced in my opinion... I sold my 05 VLX that had all of the options plus I added Bullet Hollowpoint speakers and it also had bow ballast for $38,000 2 years ago. It wan't in as good of shape but still the same boat. There is quite a bit of difference between the 2008 and 2005. The power wedge is the biggest as well as the Malibu Cruise and the dash layout. The hull is the same and it won't ski very well (non diamond) but the surf wave is great and so is the wakeboard wake. The biggest problem I had with my 2005 is the ballast pumps. I had to replace the rear drain pump on the port side and it was PITA... If I was in the market i would be looking at 2006 and up but prferrably a 2007 or 2008...

That does look like a mint 2005 VLX though...

I guess when i said they are the same i should of said that they have the same hull. You are right that there are other significant changes that are very nice features to have. I would have to agree with you as well that it is a bit overpriced. Am going to go and take a look at it in person on monday and see what the best price he can do is. But im thinking i will probably stick to my original plan which was an 07 or 08 VLX. Be worth the extra coin in the end, might as well buy the boat that isnt going to leave a guy wanting more.

There is an 05 listed on this site for 38 or 35 not sure but it is listed with the new damper plate as well as some other replaced parts. Check out the boat listings in the forums.

Your boat is sweet jrad, but i would really like to purchase from a local dealer to establish a dealer relationship and to have backing if anything goes wrong. Good luck with the sale tho! Looks like a beautiful, ultra clean unit!

I have a 2005 and love it. It turns heads like a newer boat but at a much lower cost. I know that CAD boats/exchanges are different, but I think that price seems a little high. My complaints would be that it's missing the bow ballast, a very nice feature in my opinion.

Some differences between the 2005 and the 07 - 08 models

- Different dash layout: PP and ballast monitoring

- Different cover (this is one of the "worst" features IMO- the stock cover isn't great from 2005)

- First-year tower - some owners complain about stripping hardware, etc. with this tower. Mine has never been lowered and is fine.

- Different rear hatch configuration (3 panels vs. 2)

- I'll second the damper plate issue (after $6,500 in repairs in the middle of last summer).

- The allaround light is on the port rear side instead of on the tower so you have to take a pole up and down. A little wonky (especially compared with the overall look/feel of the boat) but not the end of the world.

Other things I'd check at that age include the vinyl. The piping is separating on some of my vinyl on the rear corner seats where people are most likely to step in and out. Seems pretty standard for 7 year old boat with 300 hours, but can be a good negotiating point with the seller... :)