Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waksetter Wake For Slolom

windy1

looking a couple of different waksetters. 2004 and a 2005. I know malibu changed alot in 2005. my question is how is the wake for slolom on these boats. We are heading more into wakeboarding and mayby surfing soon but I still enjoy a slolom run almost every time out. I have been skiing all my life and I like the way my sunsetter skies even with a wake hull. I ski at 32mph fairly agressive for a 50 year old but recreational. this boat will be purchased for 80% wakeboarding.

another option is a 04 sunscape 21. this I assume would be a great ski boat but can I still load it up and get a great wakeboard wake. Buying in winter so water test is not an option. Please give me some feedback. thanks

Well, our 04 wakesetter has a respectable wake for slalom skiing. You will notice that the wake is there but it is not bad at all if you are in the correct locked in position and take the rest with your knees. To me, the difference between our boats' wake and a response lxi is the our wake does not really give when you rip through it. If you are a decent slalom skier. you will find that the wake on these boats does just fine for open water sets. Since my brothers and I ski and barefoot but my parents wanted a v-drive, we settled on this hull.

I think your decision will come down to wakeboarding skill. If you have skilled riders that go big and throw inverts and big spins all day, get the 05 hull. I think that 05 was the year that they started having 4 tanks in wakesetters so they will throw a bigger wake and be heavier which is not so good for slalom skiing. Since we only wakeboard when the water gets rough and only throw tantrums and 360's, we love our boat. With stock ballast (900 lbs) and no wedge, I can do everything I want behind our 04 wakeboarding. I have no idea how the newer wake hulls ski but if you slalom every time you go out, I would look at the 04 hull and newer. The sunscapes are very nice too. We would have had one but we got a smoking deal on our boat.

We have never surfed behind our boat but that is because we dont have a board and we like the keep the boat more empty for slalom and barefoot purposes.

Just my 2 cents. I hope this helped.

Edited by jaciche

We were in the same position as you when we bought our 06 Wakesetter VLX (same hull 05-08). I have now begun to wakeboard and surf more, but still enjoy skiing one set a week. You will want to get a Diamond Cut hull (adds lift when above 25 mph). I truly enjoy my wake but I was coming from an 18' outboard. And of course you can't beat the layout of a vdrive.

The changes starting in 05 were drastic. The boat became 5" wider with a completely new hull and, to me, felt more comfortable. I think the illusion tower became an option right around then. at that time the old VLX became the vride with less bling. If you are looking at 04 or less VLX then you may as well look at 05 and up vrides.

If there is anything specific I can help with, please let me know.

Edited by Jimmypooh

I can't comment on an 04 Sunscape or an 05 with a cut diamond hull, but I slalomed behind an 05 VLX wake hull and it was not pretty. I tried it before we purchased our VTX, I was coming from an IO deckboat and I think the wake on the VLX was bigger. Now it is definitely skiable, but only recreational if you hit the wake hard you will need to absorb a lot of shock or you will be airborn. After a few cuts we stopped and tried to fill the front ballast a little, but that didn't help, so I spent the rest of the time getting big air on my slalom ski. It was fun, but this is definitely a wake machine.

Hope that helps.

VLS is OK for open water skiing especially if you keep people and weight out of the boat. With a log of people in the boat or if you want to ski the course the VLX is not a good option. We just made the switch from an 05 VLX to a response to get the ski wake.

looking a couple of different waksetters. 2004 and a 2005. I know malibu changed alot in 2005. my question is how is the wake for slolom on these boats. We are heading more into wakeboarding and mayby surfing soon but I still enjoy a slolom run almost every time out. I have been skiing all my life and I like the way my sunsetter skies even with a wake hull. I ski at 32mph fairly agressive for a 50 year old but recreational. this boat will be purchased for 80% wakeboarding.

another option is a 04 sunscape 21. this I assume would be a great ski boat but can I still load it up and get a great wakeboard wake. Buying in winter so water test is not an option. Please give me some feedback. thanks

The '04 Sunscape 21 would be the perfect v-drive for slalom, only outdone by the '07-and-up 20 LSV or VTX on the "cut-

diamond." It won't be as great for wakeboarding, though.

The heavier, beamier '05 VLX will be a superior wakeboarding boat. They could be ordered with the Diamond (not the

cut-diamond) hull, but most will be on the Wake hull. I don't know how the Wake hull skis, but, as a 50+ year old

recreational slalom skier, also at 32 mph, I really like my '06 Sunscape 21 (Diamond hull). With just the driver, a fat sac in

the bow, and a quarter tank of gas, I'm perfectly content. YMMV.