Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower And Swim Deck Lighting

h2ojunkie

Have a 08 VTX w Illusion tower. Looking for ideas of brands,makes and models of rear facing tower lights. We do some nite surfing and would like some lighting like I had with my old boat. Pics would be appreciated. Also, I was told the tower is "pre-wired" for lighting,if that is so, where do I find the accessory set up for lites in the MUX menu? Are the wires in the dash or below and simply need hooked up? How do the light bars ect... mount to the tower?

Would also like to add some lighting under swim platform. Any ideas,pics, how to instal, tips ect.... would be much appreciated. Is there already wiring set up for that as well, or do you have to run it all the way up to helm and if so, is that something there is an accessory switch in the MUX bank as well? Any and all tips ect.. on both subjects appreciated.

Just received via UPS today my second set of LED lights from Bakes. added 2 last year and they are awesome. they swivel easy enough once attached. I used one forward and one rear when surfing and dark. they are fantastic for docking as well.

decided to have 2 forward and 2 rear....tower is wired, easy installation...

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2516

Good to hear as I had a guy at a Bu dealer tell me they have had some ballast failures in those and were still using halogens mostly. I want LED's so hoping ballst failure issue is solved.

Thinkin aqualeds for the transom. Spoke to a guy there yesterday and a dealer of theirs and they have a great track record. 2yr unconditional warranty as well. 1240 lumens vs 1080 OEM lights.

those are going to be bright the tower lights the LED's I have are only 800 lumens and they are bright.........and the lights are super small

Good to hear as I had a guy at a Bu dealer tell me they have had some ballast failures in those and were still using halogens mostly. I want LED's so hoping ballst failure issue is solved.

Thinkin aqualeds for the transom. Spoke to a guy there yesterday and a dealer of theirs and they have a great track record. 2yr unconditional warranty as well. 1240 lumens vs 1080 OEM lights.

Don't get me wrong. My tower lights will be the ones you have @ 800 lumens. Thats plenty bright,,hope not to much.... But you have had no ballast issues?

The others I mentioned are for the underwater transom application that I hope to get done soon. Putting all the wiring ect... in while we have decent weather for our area

especially for January. Today 50 degrees, same day last year 20 degrees. Great for gettting projects done.

I have had no issues, but just put the first pair on later in the year last year. now have 2 on the underside of the tower (on the widest outside mounts) and 2 now on the outside of the tower just above my top racks....lights are great facing forward or back, really good for docking and pointing back for surfing.

can't wait to see how bright 4 are.......

Don't get me wrong. My tower lights will be the ones you have @ 800 lumens. Thats plenty bright,,hope not to much.... But you have had no ballast issues?

The others I mentioned are for the underwater transom application that I hope to get done soon. Putting all the wiring ect... in while we have decent weather for our area

especially for January. Today 50 degrees, same day last year 20 degrees. Great for gettting projects done.

Ok, have schmatic in hand from Bakes. Under dash lookin for the wires from the MMDC Dash Computer, the "two relay driver outputs low side" a wh w black stripe and a white wire. White wire being the one I need for "aft driver lite"

Where the heck are they hiding these things? Ya gotta tear into a harness somewhere? I got a realy to operate lites from so now just gotta find wires. Tips appreciated. Then, will the MUX already have the tower lite function in there or do I have to program it? Thanks

Edited by h2ojunkie

The ballasts aren't an issue in those lights, they are really good.

:plus1: I used mine all last year..no issues at all with the Ballast. I did have a problem with the finish but Paul just had them redone! Just need a mount to get these on the G3!!

Ok, have schmatic in hand from Bakes. Under dash lookin for the wires from the MMDC Dash Computer, the "two relay driver outputs low side" a wh w black stripe and a white wire. White wire being the one I need for "aft driver lite"

Where the heck are they hiding these things? Ya gotta tear into a harness somewhere? I got a realy to operate lites from so now just gotta find wires. Tips appreciated. Then, will the MUX already have the tower lite function in there or do I have to program it? Thanks

All you need is one wire and ground to the bus bar. Should be taped up in the bundle with the end sticking out.

Found wires for the lites ect... Any tips on the MUX add-on for the Tower lites? Will post pics when get it all done.

Already programmed just hook up and you are good to go.

Yea, found the correct wires,but you have to instal relay and use the correct wire for fore and aft for lites on tower. Which MUX bank is programmed? Left or right side? Didn't see it in there when I went thru menus on both sides.