Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Shutter

mickeyhuddo

I have a vride 2007 , on take off the steering wheel shutters then is fine, has anyone had this before.

thanks mick

I have a 2010 does the same thing, Worse when it's really loaded, But had it checked out and they found no issues, It did it less with my stock 531 prop, But alot more with the power prop. So I would not worry about it,.

Normal but not right. Malibu offered a bigger tiller as a warranty fix, it worked for some but not for me. I personally think there's too much "play" in rudder shaft and bearing/bushing assembly. Many will suggest tiller arm, linkage, prop, etc.

Normal but not right. Malibu offered a bigger tiller as a warranty fix, it worked for some but not for me. I personally think there's too much "play" in rudder shaft and bearing/bushing assembly. Many will suggest tiller arm, linkage, prop, etc.

This is the most common answer I have seen. The shutter is from the prop wash hitting the side of the rudder during heavy loads. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I had that problem with my 2004 LSV. I replaced the helm and that helped. I sold the boat to an Indmar certified mechanic. While he was checking out the boat, he discovered worn rudder bushings. He said new bushings would fix the problem. The shuddering was most noticeable when I was power loading the boat onto the trailer. Give that rudder a shake and see if there is any play.