Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just Pulled The Trigger.....

Cdoogles

Well I just inked the deal. I was able to get a 2012 MXZ ordered today! I got it pretty optioned out with the 410hp engine, Maliview, Power Wedge and lots of the popular features and goodies. Hopefully this boat will make it to the NW WOW and it will for sure be at all the WA state INT tournaments. Loving the snow fall....but now I'm pretty excited for summer!!!!

post-12873-0-16367400-1325708958_thumb.j

Congrats! :thumbup: There is no reason that boat shouldn`t be at the NW WOW.. Tell your dealer about it and what it means to show it off to all the malibu people who will be upgrading soon. July is far off..

I don't recall what the exact pricing was on the motor option. You can get the 555hp in the MXZ, but it is double price of the 410 I believe. I opted for the 410 for two reasons. First off, I like to have the extra power to get the plane up and out when we are fully loaded with ballast for wakeboarding and surfing. Second, I think it will end up being just as economical or better as the 350 for average use since it will be revving at a lower RPM for the same weight load. I know this has been debated previously, but I guess I will find out for myself this coming summer!

To me...both boat boats with the Acme 1235, the 410 seemed comparable to the 350 in the 23LSV. I only have a few hours, but testing before ordering I think the MXZ needs a little more ump to get out of the hole.

Edited by thtrog

To me...both boat boats with the Acme 1235, the 410 seemed comparable to the 350 in the 23LSV. I only have a few hours, but testing before ordering I think the MXZ needs a little more ump to get out of the hole.

I have always said I would never get the 23LSV with the 350. It's great for running around, but for well weighted surfing and wakeboarding it's just not enough oomph (imho)

thtrog, which engine did you get?

I have always said I would never get the 23LSV with the 350. It's great for running around, but for well weighted surfing and wakeboarding it's just not enough oomph (imho)

thtrog, which engine did you get?

I went with the L96/410 and to clarify I was comparing both with extra ballast or loaded. Stock, the 410 is a Beast!

Congrats on your new boat. I ordered my MXZ late December. Did your dealer tell you that build time should be around 2 months? I dont know if you have demoed an MXZ yet, they are awesome. I just went with the 350 and the 1235 prop. The programing that puts the wedge in a nuetral position until you hit 60% of your cruise speed really helped the boat plane.

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited. I haven't actually demoed an MXZ but have talked to enough people and sat in one long enough at the dealer to know it's the right boat for me.

I'm waiting to get build and delivery dates, but it sounds like it should be here by early March. The dealer bumped one his boats back in the lineup to make room for this one, so it should be here well before snowboarding season is over in Seattle!

Yea, Congrats! It will be a long winter waiting.

I also went with the LSV but only use factory ballast. I have found it plenty with the standard prop even pulling deep water slalom starts. The wedge adjusting at speed makes a big difference.

That is a great looking boat.

You are going to love the 410 motor. Lots of dealers dont push them because its not untill you get above 3k rpm torque curve or so that it has an advantage over the 350 in power to justify the increased cost. And with the weak economy, $2-3k upgrade to the 410 is a real difference to most folks whether they get on the water in a new Malibu.

if you wakesurf to go real heavy wakeboarding, you will hit 3k rpms or more EVERY time getting that weight moving. you are going to love the power. To my knowlege, only 1 guy has come on here with issues on his 410 motor on a problem having to do with his exhaust. Seems as though they did goo R&D on this motor and folks are having terrific result in performance and reliability.

I wouldn't dare buy a boat with the GEN-I SBC 350. 1950's designed motor that hasn't been updated since 1996 (and that was just to steal the head design from the 1992 released GEN-II SBC LT1). I think it's pretty embarrassing boat manufacturers even offer the 350 in their 60k+ boats. What auto manufacturer is selling a vehicle that has the same motor for the last 16 years? GEN-I SBC is a good motor no doubt, but GM has went leaps and bounds ahead since the with then many different LSx variants. If enough new buyers check off the option list for the better motors, perhaps boat manufacturers will take the hint?

I wouldn't dare buy a boat with the GEN-I SBC 350. 1950's designed motor that hasn't been updated since 1996 (and that was just to steal the head design from the 1992 released GEN-II SBC LT1). I think it's pretty embarrassing boat manufacturers even offer the 350 in their 60k+ boats. What auto manufacturer is selling a vehicle that has the same motor for the last 16 years? GEN-I SBC is a good motor no doubt, but GM has went leaps and bounds ahead since the with then many different LSx variants. If enough new buyers check off the option list for the better motors, perhaps boat manufacturers will take the hint?

What makes the newer motor variants "better" for marine use?

Congratulations on your new MXZ!, beautiful boat, that metal flake is going to look stunning on the water.... Post up some pics when she is delivered!

And regarding the GEN-I SB 350, this motor has been proven for years, and is literally bullet proof when maintained properly, why would they need to change it? There are many owners with over 2000+ hours on these engines/blocks, and still cranking away... as Shawn asked, "What makes the newer motor variants "better" for marine use?"

Edited by Fman

What makes the newer motor variants "better" for marine use?

- Coil-on-plug design allows for total timing control through the ECM. No timing adjustments required

- No distributor, cap, or rotor to wear out

- More power through superior head and intake design

- Better fuel economy from a more efficient engine

- Larger RPM range

- Lighter weight