Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zones And Isources

augie09

I am considering a few options and need advice/input from others that have already done one or more of them. wish I'd done my research before the big lockdown, but lets start a new!

My goal is to have independent volume control for tower/sub/incabin and playist/song control from the drivers seat. I primarily play from iphone 4 or ipods.

First off, I currently have a 08 Vride with sony giga panel HU in observer side glove box, stock in cabin speakers powered by 4 channel amp and 4 tower speakers powered by 2 channel amp, and pac-lc1 controlling tower volume. I will be adding a ported sub and sub amp this month.

Option 1: 3 PAC-LC1's and a HU w/ ipod control + remote control. Pros: LC1's are cheap and easy, ipod charges and is out of the way. Con's: remote control UI vs. iphone?

Option 2: 3 PAC-LC1's and a HU w/ bluetooth streaming. Pros: LC1's are cheap and easy, iphone screen easy to work with. Con's. Iphone will have a charger cord by driver, taking away from a clean look.

Option 3: EQ w/ Zone control (WS-420) and a HU w/ ipod control + remote control. Pros: more control/features from ws420, added auxillary port by driver

Option 4: EQ w/ Zone control (WS-420) and a HU w/ bluetooth streaming. Pros: more control/features from ws420, added auxillary port by driver

Currently I am leaning away from the bluetooth streaming, because it depends on iphone and charging. An Ipod hidden in glove box constantly charging seems best, plus I have 4 ipods so replacements are easy. I thought I had found the best solution using the alpine mc20 remote because of its dual volume control (thus eliminating 2 PAC-LC1's or WS-420), however it requires the CDA-118M HU, which is 1.8 DIN high, and my glove box will only accept a single DIN HU.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

How do you intend to use the iphone? Are you constantly dj'ing on it, or do you put on a playlist and let it go?

If you generally are playing a playlist (or are streaming pandora) and all you really want the remote for is to skip to the next song if you don't like it, something like the Clarion BLT370 would work very nicely for you in conjunction with an EQ. It's an external bluetooth unit that will work with any headunit or EQ with an AUX-IN (right and left RCAs). The unit itself will allow you to skip ahead in a playlist. Of course you can't see what's playing, but it's your playlist, right?

11g91WrsDmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you want full data and the ability to navigate playlists, etc., you probably wouldn't like that solution. I've found that when I get on the water, I generally just cue up the "boat list" and let it play, rather than constantly geeking out on particular songs. My kids do like to DJ up a song at a time, but when they are doing that, they can just hold the phone.

right, I just want to skip forward. If I need a specific song or playlist change, I don't mind fumbling around for the ipod/iphone and changing it. I do need it to charge though, tired of getting out to the boat in the morning the ipod is dead from the previous day.

CES next week should expand the choices. I would expect to see Airplay finally hit mobile. I understand Audio Control will have a black box solution that includes Airplay style streaming and DSP capabilities.

right, I just want to skip forward. If I need a specific song or playlist change, I don't mind fumbling around for the ipod/iphone and changing it. I do need it to charge though, tired of getting out to the boat in the morning the ipod is dead from the previous day.

So with the BLT370, what I do is plug it in in the glove box, start a playlist in adaptunes, and set the audio input to bluetooth on the headunit. I can skip tracks, have speed sensitive volume control, and the phone stays on the charger in the glove box.

CES next week should expand the choices. I would expect to see Airplay finally hit mobile. I understand Audio Control will have a black box solution that includes Airplay style streaming and DSP capabilities.

You need wifi for airplay, which adds another level of complication. Bluetooth may not be perfect, but it is pretty tried and true at this point. I can't imagine how much more than $40 shipped that audiocontrol black box will cost....

That would be cool, iphones can control a full mutli airplay speaker system right now (achieving multi zone volume control), but still require a computer/apple tv to be playing the music. It would be ideal to control all three zones, plus tracks, from one screen. I'd sacrifice having a iphone charging cord by the driver if it meant no knobs/extra wires for an EQ/volume controls.

A three pre-amp output HU with a iphone app that controls HU levels on each pre-amp out independently would be perfect. somebody make that.

So with the BLT370, what I do is plug it in in the glove box, start a playlist in adaptunes, and set the audio input to bluetooth on the headunit. I can skip tracks, have speed sensitive volume control, and the phone stays on the charger in the glove box.

I

I'll have to read up on that tonight and report back. sounds good.

It does have a visible wire, FYI. Here's what mine looks like (apologies for the dookie phone pic):

yeah, I was just figuring out if that wire would reach from driver side to glove box, of course, rca extenders could be used ,but seems funny at that point to put an iphone in glove box next to HU, but have it streaming to a transciever by the driver, then sending back to HU over a long RCA. However, I love the price compared to a brand new head unit plus remote. Darn it shawndoggy, you're supposed to narrow down my options, not expand them

Edited by augie09

Man, if TOU would allow me, I know of a solution that fits your exact bill, but I cannot post it up to help the OP or others reading this..... I am a vendor...

Sorry...

Here is what I know, PM Phil for all the specs. If I was for sure keeping my '12 MXZ I would have went with it, but was not sure if the next buyer would have concerns not being integrated with Maliview.

BTW...this info below was sent to me by Phil from Kicker via email a couple months ago.

The Kicker unit is the PXi50.2 It is a device will allow you to dispense with a traditional head unit if you choose. It has 25 watts x 2 output, at 2-ohms. It has line level outputs as well, so you can use it with outboard amps, signal processors, the ZXM-RLC, etc… The thing has 1A charging, so you will not run out of juice on your phone. The thing is designed so that the brains box is tucked out of the way, and only the remote control is mounted in an accessible place for a stealthier install compared with a radio.

It operates in two modes. In locked mode, the iPod/iPhone is locked and all track and playlist control as well as volume control are operated from the wired remote. This will be good even for PWC’s where the player or phone need to be locked away in a dry compartment. In unlocked mode, track and playlist control go away, moving all track control to the iPod or iPhone. In this mode volume control remains on the remote control. This way you can drive tunes selection any way you choose from the phone, be it album, song or playlist. You also have an aux input that will play through in either mode, so if you are using android, or other type phone or MP3 player, you can use them as well, through the 3.5mm auxiliary input.

Edited by thtrog

Man, if TOU would allow me, I know of a solution that fits your exact bill, but I cannot post it up to help the OP or others reading this..... I am a vendor...

Sorry...

Me too.. always like the advice that comes from all you guys. I support vendors posting in the forums!

I like the suggestions and it seems there are lots of options for controlling/charging a iDevice, but seems two products will always be required, 1 for charging/song control and 1 for zonal volume control, which the less I spend on these 2, the more I can spend on the sub/sub amp. So leaning towards pac-lc1's.

Has anyone gone with multiple pac-lc1's and ended up replacing them eventually for an eq with zonal volume control? if so, why?

don't overlook the clarion eqs746. They are about $50, so not really that much more expensive that 3x Pac LC1s. With the EQ, you get a line driver, zone control, master volume, and an additional AUX-IN.

I had a WS420 in my old boat and now have the EQS746. I don't miss the dual zone EQ at all, and I prefer how the zone control works with the sub output (with the WS420, if you fade all the way to the towers you lose all sub output).

don't overlook the clarion eqs746. They are about $50, so not really that much more expensive that 3x Pac LC1s. With the EQ, you get a line driver, zone control, master volume, and an additional AUX-IN.

I had a WS420 in my old boat and now have the EQS746. I don't miss the dual zone EQ at all, and I prefer how the zone control works with the sub output (with the WS420, if you fade all the way to the towers you lose all sub output).

:plus1: Can't beat the clarioin for the money, it satisfies most of your requirements in your description, and you can just charge the Ipod with an ipod charger connected to the 12v+ accessory plug next to the driver seat. I've done it just about every way possible and settled on this approach, however my Ipod stays charged all day and never have an issue with that. You could try that out and if it doesn't work for you a HU can always be easily added later.