Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rookie Needs Help Please

Hammertime

OK guys, I need some help with a system. We have a stock 2003 23' LSV Sunscape, T3 tower and came with only 4 speakers. I'm not looking to supply sound to everyone on the lake, just the people in the boat and the rider(s) behind it. We typically listen to Pandora when we’re out on the water or at least a MP3 player. I’m looking at the Sony DSX-MS60 Marine digital media receiver. I like what I’ve read about Wetsounds, but I’m not sure where to go from there. Your input would be welcomed as I know there’s a tad bit of experience out there.

On a side note, I’ll be adding another battery too.

Thanks!

If you only listen to an iWhatever you can skip the HU and just run off a Kicker ZXMRLC. Several bennefits: Direct access to iOS, Zone control re: boat v. tower, puts the volume knobs in a very handy spot.

Sealedsub.jpg

Great info guys, thanks.

What about speakers, speaker locations, amps, etc? I'd like to add speakers in the bow, replace the existing spreakers & add some on the tower and of course I'm gonna need some amps.

Ideally you need to go listen to some systems to get the sound you like. There are several companies that build excellent systems and for the most part it's your ear that needs to listen to see which is best for your application. Wev'e seen times when members go with "suggested" systems without listening to them only to be disappointed after they get them installed. Some audio dealers have the systems setup to A-B compare. Also give us your location and possibly there will be other members in your area that will demo their systems for you.

OK guys, I need some help with a system. We have a stock 2003 23' LSV Sunscape, T3 tower and came with only 4 speakers. I'm not looking to supply sound to everyone on the lake, just the people in the boat and the rider(s) behind it. We typically listen to Pandora when we’re out on the water or at least a MP3 player. I’m looking at the Sony DSX-MS60 Marine digital media receiver. I like what I’ve read about Wetsounds, but I’m not sure where to go from there. Your input would be welcomed as I know there’s a tad bit of experience out there.

On a side note, I’ll be adding another battery too.

Thanks!

How much do you want to spend?

You are definately in the right season to do this. Many guys are looking to sell old stuff and pick up new stuff or change the setup's. If you want to save a little money you can always buy some gently used stuff. I have seen some Wetsounds and Exile Tower Speakers on a couple of the forums for good prices.

Good luck and get ready to get addicted!

Hammertime,

I can't get into brands and models which is fine because I believe that great systems should be more application-driven than brand-driven anyway.

I'm surprised that with a name like 'Hammertime' you didn't mention a subwoofer.

I'm assuming that you have two existing speakers atop the dash and two speakers in the rear of the cockpit. If that's the case then you need a pair of dedicated amplifier channels for the dash speakers so that they can be gained independently to offset their higher and forward positional advantage. As the driver you don't want to hear just the dash speaker in front of you without a balanced contribution from the rear speakers. Another reason is that when any speaker reflects off the windshield it gets a little peaky and erratic sounding so its nice to be able to moderate that condition a bit.

A darker speaker on the dash will help reduce the reflection upon the windshield.

For the bow speakers, you certainly can add these within the coaming bolsters without existing speakers originally there. In some models the bow speakers are located at the very edge of an open coaming pocket which serves to compromise their midbass and power handling. An effort to create some front to rear acoustic isolation will pay dividends.

Just a few basic guidelines for that particular boat that should serve you well regardless of the equipment you select.

David

Once again, great info guys, thank you.

FlatH2O - thanks, will do

Ronnie - great idea, I'll ask around. We also travel to Dallas to visit friends and family, maybe we can catch up the next time I'm up that way?

Murphy - don't really have a budget yet but I don't want to break the bank either. I'd like to do some homework and get a budget set. I don't mind doing the install myself as I use to install custom car systems back in my college days... I have some skills.

David, I didn't get into specifics, but to me, a sub falls into the speaker category, just sayin' one will be included.

Cheers & thanks again.

Once again, great info guys, thank you.

FlatH2O - thanks, will do

Ronnie - great idea, I'll ask around. We also travel to Dallas to visit friends and family, maybe we can catch up the next time I'm up that way?

Murphy - don't really have a budget yet but I don't want to break the bank either. I'd like to do some homework and get a budget set. I don't mind doing the install myself as I use to install custom car systems back in my college days... I have some skills.

David, I didn't get into specifics, but to me, a sub falls into the speaker category, just sayin' one will be included.

Cheers & thanks again.

If you travel to Dallas, then you could take care of all the listening at Earmark Marine in Lewisville. They will have the WS, Exile and Bullett as well as other offerings.

Good luck with everything!!

If you travel to Dallas, then you could take care of all the listening at Earmark Marine in Lewisville. They will have the WS, Exile and Bullett as well as other offerings.

Good luck with everything!!

Thanks Murphy, it's already on the list.