Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lost Can Signal On Maliview

Was out yesterday and went to start boat and "Lost CAN signal" popped up on the Maliview screen. After exiting out never saw it for the rest of the day and boat ran perfect all day.... what does this indicate? should I report this to my dealer? or just a glitch?

martinarcher

I'm not positive, but it sounds like the Malivue uses CANbus (Controller Area Network bus) to communicate with the boat. It is a very common industrial communication network used widely in the automotive industry. The OBD-II systems in cars uses CAN.

I would guess you have a wiring issue that is just starting to rear it's head. I'm a Control and Automation Engineer and we use CANbus widely where I work. CANbus issues are usually traced to a poor crimp, bad ground, noise getting onto the CANbus, an intermittent short between the CAN high or CAN low wires, or a intermittent power issue. On the boat I doubt noise is your issue as CAN is very tolerant to EMI since it is a differential bus. The CANbus itself should be a 4 wire system (CAN high, CAN low, ground, and a CAN power wire). On most CANbus systems if you read across your CAN high and CAN low pins with a meter you should have 120 ohms if the terminating resistors are in place and are OK.

I'm not positive, but it sounds like the Malivue uses CANbus (Controller Area Network bus) to communicate with the boat. It is a very common industrial communication network used widely in the automotive industry. The OBD-II systems in cars uses CAN.

I would guess you have a wiring issue that is just starting to rear it's head. I'm a Control and Automation Engineer and we use CANbus widely where I work. CANbus issues are usually traced to a poor crimp, bad ground, noise getting onto the CANbus, an intermittent short between the CAN high or CAN low wires, or a intermittent power issue. On the boat I doubt noise is your issue as CAN is very tolerant to EMI since it is a differential bus. The CANbus itself should be a 4 wire system (CAN high, CAN low, ground, and a CAN power wire). On most CANbus systems if you read across your CAN high and CAN low pins with a meter you should have 120 ohms if the terminating resistors are in place and are OK.

The dealer had to install a new tachometer for warranty work in October, which required removing the Maliview, I am wondering if there were some wires not properly re-connected. Did not see this message again while we were out on the lake, but if it pops up again I will definitely place a phone call to the dealer. Not sure if there is something I can check myself other than peeking under the helm to look for a loose wire?

martinarcher

Sounds like a good plan. I'm not familiar with the Maliview's wiring harness, but I would guess it has one or more mass pin connectors that plug into it in a harness style wiring configuration. Might be worth a peek under the dash to make sure all the connectors were seated correctly after the tach was changed.

It would be good if the software engineer who wrote that error message gave a little more info (what CAN component the Malivue can't talk to would be helpful) :Doh:. I could help Malibu with that. Thumbup.gif

The dealer had to install a new tachometer for warranty work in October, which required removing the Maliview, I am wondering if there were some wires not properly re-connected. Did not see this message again while we were out on the lake, but if it pops up again I will definitely place a phone call to the dealer. Not sure if there is something I can check myself other than peeking under the helm to look for a loose wire?

CAN data is simply put the boats Network. Malibu uses a series of modules that all communicate together.

When the dealer replaced your tach they would not had to remove the Maliview, they would have just had to pull the gauge bezel and swapped the tach.

99% of the time odd warnings like that are rooted to low battery voltage or loose terminals creating erratic voltage. Go on the hunt for loose connections from the battery, engine ground and power, to under the dash at the breaker panel and main power module. I am sure you are bound to find something loose.

Good luck!

99% of the time odd warnings like that are rooted to low battery voltage or loose terminals creating erratic voltage. Go on the hunt for loose connections from the battery, engine ground and power, to under the dash at the breaker panel and main power module. I am sure you are bound to find something loose.

Good luck!

This, plus how charged are your batteries?

Edited by skurfer

CAN data is simply put the boats Network. Malibu uses a series of modules that all communicate together.

When the dealer replaced your tach they would not had to remove the Maliview, they would have just had to pull the gauge bezel and swapped the tach.

Good luck!

:plus1: This has been the case on my boat everytime I've seen that message on my malivue.

This, plus how charged are your batteries?

Boat has been idle for about 3 months, I do have a pro mariner charger plugged in year round. It was 40 degrees out when we launched the boat, maybe the cold weather had something to do with it. I would think it would have popped up throughout the day if something was loose, especially when the boat is turning over the double ups and bouncing... but regardless, I will take a look around to make sure everything visually looks connected.