Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seat Bottoms

CoMtnBu

Anybody know what plastic the seat bottoms are made of?

I just was inspired to revamp the back end of my sunsetter by making a permanent sunpad with clam shell hatches on top. Similar the the LXI. Should give me more storage, space for ballast and a bigger sunpad, all while getting rid of a seat I never use.

I know that the rear hatches on most of the boats are not the same material as the seat bases. They are a honecomb aluminium material sort of like cardboard . The plastic from the seat bases will not withstand a persons wieght for any lenght of time, atleast not on a large section like a rear hatch without reinforcements.

Didn't think about the honeycomb. I'll have to look @Grainger since I get a deal there.

Think I've got the wife on board.

Now I just need to come up with a plan.

I believe the Malibu seat base material is the same as King Starboard plastic. You can order it in sheets like plywood. You can also cut it and drill it like plywood. I have used it for several boat projects. Since it is plastic it won't be effected by water. You will need to support it if you are using a large sheet but the seat base is likely all you will need. It is a lot more expensive than plywood though.

Kris