Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter Water

NorCaliBu

As a service to those poor individuals who live in areas that do not allow for watersports during the winter I figured those of us that do go year round could help them with their withdrawals. :biggrin:

We got out on Wednesday (12/28/11) to make a few turns. Water ~ 40° / Air ~ 50°. Hard to ski well when you can't feel you hands. :lol: I have got to get a good pair of winter gloves. :yes:

I know I need to work on keeping my hips forward, shoulders back, and chest more open to the boat. Anyone ( Baumer ) see anything else that I need to improve?

You're a little flat off the wake on 1, 3, 5. Try holding your angle a little longer and then start preturn and get to inside edge rather than just going flat which is really keeping you from a nice angle off the buoy.

You're a little flat off the wake on 1, 3, 5. Try holding your angle a little longer and then start preturn and get to inside edge rather than just going flat which is really keeping you from a nice angle off the buoy.

At these longer line lengths if I hold my edge longer I tend to over-speed for the turn and end up with slack. You're correct I need to transition quicker but I've been told by very good skiers to start the edge change right at the 2nd wake. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by holding my angle longer. As a RFF skier, 1 - 3 - 5 are my off-side turns which makes it even worse :crazy:

EDIT: You mean hold my angle, NOT hold my edge. Duh. Got it when I reread it...

Edited by NorCaliBu
Mike,

Sweet ... thanks for sharing.

:thumbup:

Sweet?.....Up here we would make you buy a round of drinks for bragging!

First off. Nice run.

Second, that's just rude! :cry:

Come down here and I'll buy you a round of drinks...and take you skiing. :cheers:

:thumbup:

Come down here and I'll buy you a round of drinks...and take you skiing. :cheers:

Sounds good! I would have to settle for the beer. I am still not able to ride the skinny stick. Still waiting for surgery on my neck. But thanks for the offer. Next year I will try and get down to one of the Norcal WOWs.

Awesome, wish i could be skiing. we used to try and go out in November before the lake froze.....you would jump in and gasp for air it was so cold!!

Now were all getting old and too lazy for those shennagins! :crazy:

Thanks for the videos!

We went out skiing on last Monday on Dec. 26th here in northwest IL...water was a mere 35 degrees, with air right at 40 degrees. However, I didn't slalom as I performed the rare combination of a barefoot run followed by a trick ski run.

This is the latest the river has been open for a very, very long time...previous record for last time out for the year was Dec. 21 back in I think the year 2000.

Edited by Sethro

As a service to those poor individuals who live in areas that do not allow for watersports during the winter I figured those of us that do go year round could help them with their withdrawals. :biggrin:

We got out on Wednesday (12/28/11) to make a few turns. Water ~ 40° / Air ~ 50°. Hard to ski well when you can't feel you hands. :lol: I have got to get a good pair of winter gloves. :yes:

I know I need to work on keeping my hips forward, shoulders back, and chest more open to the boat. Anyone ( Baumer ) see anything else that I need to improve?

If you find some good gloves please send me a PM... we were using 3mm diving gloves yesterday and they are diffucult to hold the handle... looking for something to keep hands completely dry that wrap around the handle.

I know what you mean. I just picked up some O'Neill 1.5mm Psycho neo gloves last week as a gift to myself. The last time we were out, I was doing fine except for my hands. By the end of my set I couldn't feel the handle anymore to hold onto it.

So, wait a minute.

All you hard core slalom guys only make 6 turns in 20 secs. and you call it a day?

Nah, after that they go home and whack some bristletails with a purse. Then they call it a day.

So, wait a minute.

All you hard core slalom guys only make 6 turns in 20 secs. and you call it a day?

:biggrin:

Not exactly. We'll typically do 3 or 4 sets each, 6 to 8 passes per set. And while there's only six turn bouys in the course there's also the pullout at the pre-gate (55 meter bouy) and the turn-in for the gate... So really you're looking at 8 pulls per pass so as many as 256 turns (pulls) per outing. Unless we freeski, then it's a lot more.

Nah, after that they go home and whack some bristletails with a purse. Then they call it a day.

:lol: Nah, we leave the purse / bug whacking to the foilers. :biggrin: