Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blower - 1996 Sunsetter Lx

New2Texas

Hello everyone, I have just purchased my first Malibu! A 1996 Sunsetter LX. She needs a little TLC and I have a list of projects I will commence this weekend including a new stereo, tower speakers, sub-woofer, semi auto ballast system, perfect pass, etc.

So the first item on the list is to repair the blower, however I have had no luck finding it? It is not located in the stern on the starboard side or behind the engine. Can anyone help me out here? Once I locate it, how should I tackle troubleshooting?

Also - does anyone know where I could find the aluminium diamond cut fender protectors?

Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks.

:biggrin:

The blower looks like this:

2503.jpg

You should be able to buy them from any marine hardware dealer.Here is a link to one on Skidim.com's website.

If you can't find it underneath the engine, or in the rear by the transom, then look for the black vent hose on the back of the vent & follow it back to the blower. You should also be able to turn the blower on & track down the thing making the noise (if it works).

It's a simple 2 wire electrical connection that can be tested with a test light or a multi-meter. If there is no power there, then go to the back of the switch & check for power when it's on & off. If there is still no power, check your circuit breakers (mine are under the throttle).

As for the diamond plate, you can get them from any metal supply house (Coeur d'Alene Metal Supply in my case). I think I paid about $25 for both of them, cut to size. I hit them with a grinding wheel to take off any sharp edges, and then used Liquid Nails to mount them. You could also use rivets or bolts, but be sure you drill where your tires won't rub on the bolt, nut or rivet.

Good luck!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Did you remove all the false walls to the ski locker? On our old Sunsetter it was mounted straight below the vents at the aft of the boat. It was actually screwed to the transom in a litte space behind the fuel tank. The other spot I have seen them mounted is under the surface where the sunpad rests. Pretty much right next to the aft vents.

Did you remove all the false walls to the ski locker? On our old Sunsetter it was mounted straight below the vents at the aft of the boat. It was actually screwed to the transom in a litte space behind the fuel tank. The other spot I have seen them mounted is under the surface where the sunpad rests. Pretty much right next to the aft vents.

I will take another look tomorrow. In the mean time, will opening the engine cover before I start work just as effectively? :unsure:

I will take another look tomorrow. In the mean time, will opening the engine cover before I start work just as effectively? :unsure:

Is this a v-drive or direct drive? I was referring to the "trunk" on a direct drive when I said ski locker. Sorry for the confusion. The best method would be to follow the hoses from the aft vents down. Usually one is just a vent hose and the other leads to the blower.

A 96 Sunsetter LX would be a direct drive.

I thought it was but wanted to make sure. A couple of the locations the OP made had me questioning my knowledge of the older Malibu models.

Yes. Give it a sniff as well for a gas smell. My Dad had a 1967 Century Resorter which didn't even have a blower installed. There was more venting to the engine compartment but still, no blower.

In a perfectly functioning boat it isn't an issue. Two things have to happen for an explosion to happen. 1) Flammable mixture. 2) Ignition. Sources of a flammable mixture would be a fuel leak of some kind while the source of ignition could be a short in the electrical system, bad ground, or uncontained back-fire.

The thing is, none of these are particularly unusual in an inboard boat. If you need a little time to make the repair it will probably be okay to vent the engine before starting it but make sure you make it a religious practice and get the blower fixed as soon as possible. The fact that you have a non-serviceable blower tells me that you may have an electrical problem which could be an ignition source.

Yes. Give it a sniff as well for a gas smell. My Dad had a 1967 Century Resorter which didn't even have a blower installed. There was more venting to the engine compartment but still, no blower.

In a perfectly functioning boat it isn't an issue. Two things have to happen for an explosion to happen. 1) Flammable mixture. 2) Ignition. Sources of a flammable mixture would be a fuel leak of some kind while the source of ignition could be a short in the electrical system, bad ground, or uncontained back-fire.

The thing is, none of these are particularly unusual in an inboard boat. If you need a little time to make the repair it will probably be okay to vent the engine before starting it but make sure you make it a religious practice and get the blower fixed as soon as possible. The fact that you have a non-serviceable blower tells me that you may have an electrical problem which could be an ignition source.

I have been opening the engine cover when i start her up, but i have had no luck in finding the blower. would it be concealed down near the bilge?

I have been opening the engine cover when i start her up, but i have had no luck in finding the blower. would it be concealed down near the bilge?

Have you removed the carpeted piece that sits on top of the gas tank. If you look into that comparment and look toward the drivers side, you ought to be able to see it down thereon the floor b/t the tank and the fiberglass.

that is where mine was

Hi there. it will be on the starboard side in the rear corner. i replaced mine in a 1997. should be the same. you will need to take out the false wall in the rear ski locker. just a few screws.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, found it. right there were you suggested in the back corner. thanks everyone.

Home Depot sells them now for $16!

Edited by New2Texas