Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Latest On What The #$%&

smooth as glass

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas, finally got back to work on engine after holiday festivities. Was cleaning the exhuast manifold and found slight crack on the exterior. Lovely! Anyone know if this is bad enough to replace? As far as I know its been like this for some time. The other issue.....check this out...... there's a scar between 2 waterjacket holes on both sides of block between 2 center cylinders at the bottom. The side that the head was not cracked is worse. Any one seen this before? http://www.flickr.com/photos/slearshotz/6591024351/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/slearshotz/6591940171/

I have a similar crack in my exhaust manifold and I have been running it for 8 years like that. I would not be concerned until there is water in the oil or the bilge pump can't keep up with the water flow.

I have never seen a divot in the block like the one in your photo. Do you run in brackish water? Aluminum heads, Cast Iron Block, Copper gaskets...you could get some nice electrolysis going that could cause something like that.

I have a similar crack in my exhaust manifold and I have been running it for 8 years like that. I would not be concerned until there is water in the oil or the bilge pump can't keep up with the water flow.

I have never seen a divot in the block like the one in your photo. Do you run in brackish water? Aluminum heads, Cast Iron Block, Copper gaskets...you could get some nice electrolysis going that could cause something like that.

Fresh water only, stainless gasket, reg vortec heads. Local mechanic said maybe running to lean and these are by the exhuast ports. Anyway I filled them with JB weld and since its 2 water journal holes, not gonna worry bout it. Well maybe a little. Going to pressure test the exhausts next week. puttting heads on today. Thanks for all input. Mike.

Fresh water only, stainless gasket, reg vortec heads. Local mechanic said maybe running to lean and these are by the exhuast ports. Anyway I filled them with JB weld and since its 2 water journal holes, not gonna worry bout it. Well maybe a little. Going to pressure test the exhausts next week. puttting heads on today. Thanks for all input. Mike.

As long as the JB weld is no higher than the surrounding metal on the block I would say your fine. If it's two water passages it's not near as big of a deal as a bridge between an oil/water passage being breached. Sounds like your startign to get her back together. What did you end up doing with the heads? Did your replace both or have them rebuilt?

As far as the manifolds, I would replace them. No shame in replacing them with that amount of hours on them. I would hate to see an internal crack allow water into your new heads and hydrolock the engine.

Buttoned up today. 2 new heads, they're supposedly better these days. Didn't think about hydro lock, good point. Just another grand with the risers though, they're pretty knarly too.... so going to have them cleaned and pressure tested next week, for 200.00. Almost there......been an adventure, for sure. I just thought I worked for a living, mechanics are the real deal.

martinarcher

Buttoned up today. 2 new heads, they're supposedly better these days. Didn't think about hydro lock, good point. Just another grand with the risers though, they're pretty knarly too.... so going to have them cleaned and pressure tested next week, for 200.00. Almost there......been an adventure, for sure. I just thought I worked for a living, mechanics are the real deal.

Good deal. Glad it's going together well. Thumbup.gif Let us know how the first start goes. I always love hearing an engine again after I rebuild it. Rockon.gif

Good deal. Glad it's going together well. Thumbup.gif Let us know how the first start goes. I always love hearing an engine again after I rebuild it. Rockon.gif

Thanks guys, couldn't have done it without you all! :cheers: