Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lsv Vs Vlx Hull Differences?

Chris

Looking to buy something soon. Drove a 2004 LSV 23 today. Wind was blowing maybe 1 foot chop and the boat seemed to ride more like a flat bottom ski boat, really transmitted the chop more than I expcted. I drove an 04 vlx and it was totally unfazed by my driving in circles. We loved the room in the 23. Was there a hull change in that time period? Does the 21.5 foot vlx really ride chop better than the 23? Whats different about those years? Our budget is 35 or so. Please help educate me. I'm in southeast and ready to buy.

my 2010 23 lsv really handles waves & rough water great. Didn't know what to expect when bought it.The 2010 is newer but you will like it in rough water.My pontoon is better:)..in rough water but it sits 2' off the water.

Chris, I have an '08 VLX on the south side of Lake Lanier. We get the living beeheeveejeevees beat out out of us on busy boat traffic days. I don't think there will ever be a perfect wakeboard/ski boat for Lake Lanier. It's more about boarding early in the morning and then calling it quits when the big boats come out.

these boats arent made to be roughwater boats. cant compare a pontoon or really any other boat to these boats. they are made for performance watersports and the tradeoff is hull designs that are made for just that...none of these boats have much deadrise. we have a 23lsv diamond and if it gets rough, we just slow down to about 20-23 and ease on through it and if its that rough you arent boarding anyway. Generally speaking, the longer the boat the better it will handle a chop but hull shape AND driving makes a huge difference. "bowriders" seem to ride a little better than straight inboards but they have more deadrise and ride higher.

these boats arent made to be roughwater boats. cant compare a pontoon or really any other boat to these boats. they are made for performance watersports and the tradeoff is hull designs that are made for just that...none of these boats have much deadrise. we have a 23lsv diamond and if it gets rough, we just slow down to about 20-23 and ease on through it and if its that rough you arent boarding anyway. Generally speaking, the longer the boat the better it will handle a chop but hull shape AND driving makes a huge difference. "bowriders" seem to ride a little better than straight inboards but they have more deadrise and ride higher.

We are on a smaller lake. I just felt like the vlx dealt with chop better than the 23 lsv - but since I have had very short rides In both I was asking for others comparisons between those two rough water rides. I'd really rather have the 23 foot interior. And it seems lime i can get either for the sam price roughly. But did not want to give up any ride quality when compared to the 21 foot vlx. Anyone spent a good bit of time in both - we r looking at 05 vlx and 04 and 05 23 lsv in the low 30s with 300 - 500 hours in the southeast. Ready to buy.

Looking to buy something soon. Drove a 2004 LSV 23 today. Wind was blowing maybe 1 foot chop and the boat seemed to ride more like a flat bottom ski boat, really transmitted the chop more than I expcted. I drove an 04 vlx and it was totally unfazed by my driving in circles. We loved the room in the 23. Was there a hull change in that time period? Does the 21.5 foot vlx really ride chop better than the 23? Whats different about those years? Our budget is 35 or so. Please help educate me. I'm in southeast and ready to buy.

The 23 LSV went under a hull change in 2004-2007 and again in 2008 to current (2009 they changed the passenger and driver side dash so 2008 has some features only to that year)

The 23 will always handle rough water better, more hull displacement.

What is the most important to you? Honestly no inboard or v-drive boats are a "great" rough water boat. They get their performance from the hull design to make great wakes and be safe for watersports so focusing on what you want it to do with the boat is more important. To be honest if you ride in rough water all the time and its really important to you a I/O will be a much better fit. If you want a inboard that can do rough water on occasion, the bigger the boat gets the better with more hull displacement.

Hope this helps you out

Paul