Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

vhf radio

jeffmx

When I was a kid our TV was VHF. Biggrin.gif It was mounted on the living room floor. Hope this helps.

Edited by Hman442

I have a 5W handheld. I think it's the most versatile unit.

In fact, I have 2 of the same units. It beats wiring and mounting an ant. for something you probably won't use much.

Pete USA.gif

I have a 5W handheld. I think it's the most versatile unit.

In fact, I have 2 of the same units. It beats wiring and mounting an ant. for something you probably won't use much.

Pete USA.gif

Good call.

In the Delta, I could definatley see a need for it, but at the lake, probably not...

Luckily, I haven't had to go there in about two years. It's hard to keep a white boat white in that water. I also prefer weekend long trips and usually go to McClure and other lakes. I've launched out of Orwood, but mostly, River's end.

Luckily, I haven't had to go there in about two years. It's hard to keep a white boat white in that water. I also prefer weekend long trips and usually go to McClure and other lakes. I've launched out of Orwood, but mostly, River's end.

We go there for the quick trips... I live in Concord so its close.-try to avoid the crowds, and rough water.

I am a big fan of McClure... one of our best houseboat trips was there.

Cool,

I actually try to make a point to visit as many differnt lakes as possible during the summer. My absolute favorite is Bullard's Bar. But, with a 6 hr. drive one way, oh yeah, and those pirannah ;-)

Cool,

I actually try to make a point to visit as many differnt lakes as possible during the summer. My absolute favorite is Bullard's Bar. But, with a 6 hr. drive one way, oh yeah, and those pirannah ;-)

We do the same thing.. One lake I have never been to is Pedro, and that will be one of our first trips this year..

Soooo,

Back to the original thread topic....

If you're gonna buy handhelds, you want to spend about $150. That way you're getting quality.

Pete, which 5watt model do you have?

In my sunsetter, I had a very small VHF unit tie-wrapped to the steering mechanism under the dash, and mounted a 3 ft whip antenna at the top of my tower... I used it once.

Where I live now, I'll need it much more - especially to yell at the 50' sportfishing yachts going 30 knots down the intercoastal waterway with a 6 ft wake, while we are loading up a boarder...

JZ

In my sunsetter, I had a very small VHF unit tie-wrapped to the steering mechanism under the dash, and mounted a 3 ft whip antenna at the top of my tower...  I used it once.

Where I live now, I'll need it much more - especially to yell at the 50' sportfishing yachts going 30 knots down the intercoastal waterway  with a 6 ft wake, while we are loading up a boarder...

JZ

Is the waterway really rideable ?

is rideable a word?

I posted this before on the old site, but in an effort to add valuable content over here, I will link you again.

Here is a site where you can get some pricing info. It is a ham radio geek store, however they sell marine stuff, too. They usually offer the best pricing around.

Amateur Electronic Supply

Actually there is another one.

Ham Radio Outlet

These are the two biggest stores in the nerd radio community. You will have no problems if your order from either place.

Edited by martho

In my sunsetter, I had a very small VHF unit tie-wrapped to the steering mechanism under the dash, and mounted a 3 ft whip antenna at the top of my tower...  I used it once.

Where I live now, I'll need it much more - especially to yell at the 50' sportfishing yachts going 30 knots down the intercoastal waterway  with a 6 ft wake, while we are loading up a boarder...

JZ

Is the waterway really rideable ?

is rideable a word?

Sure. There are some good creeks that head off from the waterway too. There isn't THAT much traffic - its not like South Florida for sure - and no Manatee zones either ;)

JZ

JZ,

I have a pair of Hummingbirds. I don't reccommend them. I got what I paid for at Boater's World for about $90.

Martho,

Didn't we talk about how good Icon was? I couldn't think of the name the other day. Or was it a similar name?

You can probably get a soft radio holder that you can mount on the side panel under the dash. That way you have it, it's out of the way, and the cup holder is free for your favorite beverage.